More proof that retro stadiums are cookie cutters

griffin128

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll repeat...don't get offended because your hometown's skyline doesn't resonate with the rest of america. It takes a useless arch to give St. Louis Worldwide fame. It takes a revolving tourist attraction to put seattle on the map. Chicago and New Yorks though are some of the best in the world in looks and in their worldwide fame.

It doesn't mean _________'s skyline isn't beatiful or full of charm or has unique characteristics. People are just saying not everyone knows about them.

Absolutly, the only reason St. Louis and Seattle are destintive are those two structures. Take them away, and they would fall in with Pittsburgh, Dallas, Detroit and many other cities...

New York and Chicago have so many destinctive buildings, and are so photographed, that they are world renowned - not just known here in the States.

Moose

Oh, and sorry about the CN Tower/Space Needle brain cramp :blush:

Pittsburgh's skyline isn't exactly world renowned or anything.  In reality, the only american cities with identifiable skylines are New York, Chicago, and St. Louis.  (Add some if I forgot, but I can't think of any that if I see them I instantly go "That's ______!!")

Huh? Wrong in so many ways. Pittsburgh's skyline is one of the most distinctive in the country, and it always has been. In regards to your other statement, there are plenty of American cities with recognizable skylines. To name a few:

Seattle

San Francisco

Los Angeles

Dallas

Washington, DC

Detroit

You've got to be joking.

Your exact words were "Pittsburgh's skyline is one of the most distinctive in the country, and it always has been." By what reasoning? What about Pittsburgh's skyline makes it so distinctive? I couldn't name a single building in Pittsburgh, though if I guessed "Heinz Tower" or "Steel Company Building", I'd probably be right. Don't get me wrong, Pittsburgh is a very nice city, but it's nowhere near the realm of "distinctive iconic skyline".

Here's a good yardstick for assessing this whole skyline statement: if you've never been to that city, would most people still be able to identify it by its skyline?

Consensus "yes" cities include New York, Chicago, Washington, St. Louis and Seattle. Whether it's for one building or a whole bunch is irrelevant - the fact is, you see the Arch, you know what city it MUST be. Ditto Seattle and the Needle (unless you're Moose, then all bets are off :upside: j/k). On an international level, think Toronto or Paris to be a member of this category.

I could pick out San Francisco (Transamerica Building), though I've been there. I could similarly pick out Dallas, because I watch "Cheaters' religiously - but I've never been in Texas.

On the other hand, the only reason I knew Detroit and Pittsburgh was having been there. But nothing about them is that distinctive, and they're still not immediately distinguishable. I've been to LA, and wouldn't know their skyline if you showed me pictures of it.

From my perspective, I think Philadelphia's skyline is obvious. Then again, I've lived here 30 years, so I'm biased.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You've got to be joking.

Your exact words were "Pittsburgh's skyline is one of the most distinctive in the country, and it always has been."  By what reasoning?  What about Pittsburgh's skyline makes it so distinctive?  I couldn't name a single building in Pittsburgh, though if I guessed "Heinz Tower" or "Steel Company Building", I'd probably be right.  Don't get me wrong, Pittsburgh is a very nice city, but it's nowhere near the realm of "distinctive iconic skyline".

Maybe I give people too much credit. Some of you wouldn't know a good skyline if it hit you in the face. :D

800px-PittSkyline082904.jpg

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

That seems to be a bargaining chip these days-a downtown ballpark with a view of downtown. (Or failing that, the "skyline.") Wrigley is a neighborhood ballpark, as is U.S. Cellular-they don't even face the downtown area and the "skyline," although Soldier Field does, if you're sitting on the Lake.

I'm surprised no one's said much about Petco Park-it looks great, especially the adobe-looking sandstone and the Western Metals Building. I love that freaking building as the foul pole.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Maybe I give people too much credit. Some of you wouldn't know a good skyline if it hit you in the face. :D

800px-PittSkyline082904.jpg

It's funny how much more recognizable Pittsburgh's skyline becomes when you add ground-level clues to the picture, like where the Monongahela and Allegheny merge. Didn't realize that rivers were part of the skyline - that term really is misleading... :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I think what people are missing here is that just because a city's skyline isn't distinctive does not mean that it is not nice. As much as I like the Baltimore skyline/cityscape (and, yes, I am biased), I will not be offended if someone who has never been to Baltimore does not recognize it immediately.

This is it, in case you can't tell. :P

Baltim5.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I agree that most skylines mentioned here are not that recognizable, but to say you don't know L.A.'s means you've never watched TV or movies. Which is crazy.

disp_los_angeles_skyline1.jpg

Library Tower (the big one in the pic above) is the tallest building west of the Mississippi. It was BLOWN UP in Independence Day, along with the White House and the Empire State Building...three iconic buildings that everyone is supposed to know.

I think what people are missing here is that just because a city's skyline isn't distinctive does not mean that it is not nice. As much as I like the Baltimore skyline/cityscape (and, yes, I am biased), I will not be offended if someone who has never been to Baltimore does not recognize it immediately.

This is it, in case you can't tell. :P

Baltim5.jpg

I agree just because Baltimore dopsen't have tons of tall buildings dosen't mean it has a bad skyline.

bmoresig.png

'and they don't question what I say cause I'm a ladies Pimp"

There is a big difference between "nice" and "instantly recognizable" or "iconic"

I'm amazed at hwo difficult it is to find a good pic of Atlanta. In every picture, some building or another is missing. This one is pretty good.

10093407.jpg

There are several distinctive buildings, a nice look, and the tallest building not in NYC or Chicago. But is it iconic? Even I wouldnt say so.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

And Pittsburgh has a very nice skyline, but it's hardly recognizable.

What is recognizable about Pittsburgh is when it shows the point of the rivers. That says Pittsburgh. But as for the skyline, to me, it could be Detroit or Baltimore.

And Pittsburgh has a very nice skyline, but it's hardly recognizable.

What is recognizable about Pittsburgh is when it shows the point of the rivers.

Me too... that and the bridges.

One highly recognizable skyline that hasn't been mentioned yet is Nashville. Once you've seen it, you remember it.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I'm not going to debate if Pittsburgh has a recognizable skyline or not. At least there, there is a good backdrop while watching the game.

It could be worse.

The Great American Ballpark has this view as a backdrop:

gab2.jpg

And you get to see the Kentucky riverfront.

The GAB has "The Wedge" ("The Butt-Crack") where you can see the Cincinnati skyline if you turn around and look. :mad:

gab1.jpg

Cincinnati is another skyline that you don't forget.

Driving north on I-71/75 into Cincinnati once you start driving down the Cut in the Hill and go around the bend, to quote the band Over the Rhine "thats when you know you are home".

I have pics on my website. Click here.

Indianapolis by comparison, our skyline sucks. There isn't even a good angle for a photograph. I tried. Click here.

Library Tower (the big one in the pic above) is the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

Are you counting the Stratosphere in Las Vegas? It's over 1100 feet tall, which would put it 3rd behind the Sears Tower and the Empire State Building.

There is a big difference between "nice" and "instantly recognizable" or "iconic"

Exactly. And most people are still missing this point. Everyone remembers the skyline of the city they grew up near or live near. Doesn't make it an iconic skyline on the order of New York, Chicago or Paris. I could draw Philadelphia's (very nice skyline, BTW, and getting better) from memory, but I've had 30 years to look at it. If I weren't from here, it wouldn't stand out from most other American cities. There's the difference...

2007nleastchamps.png

Pittsburgh's bridges, especially the Roberto Clemente, and where the rivers meet make pictures of the city look great, not the buildings themselves; hence, there is nothing special about Pittsburgh's skyline.

Hell, the most recognizeable thing about my city's (Memphis) skyline is about to become a Bass Pro Shops...

I'm not going to debate if Pittsburgh has a recognizable skyline or not. At least there, there is a good backdrop while watching the game.

It could be worse.

The Great American Ballpark has this view as a backdrop:

gab2.jpg

And you get to see the Kentucky riverfront.

The GAB has "The Wedge" ("The Butt-Crack") where you can see the Cincinnati skyline if you turn around and look. :mad:

gab1.jpg

I think that's by design based on the positioning of the sun, not by view pf the backdrop. Had you turned the ballpark around 180 degrees the sun might set towards a batter's eyes.

I saw, I came, I left.

It could be worse.

The Great American Ballpark has "The Wedge" ("The Butt-Crack") where you can see the Cincinnati skyline if you turn around and look.  :mad:

gab1.jpg

I always recognize Cincy's skyline, because my mother never missed "The Edge Of Night" when I was a child... :)

cimg4091.jpg

8-98ggbridge1.0.jpg

You're right, nothing recognizable about San Francisco...

Yes, but you never see those from AT&T Park:

Giants16.JPG

Giants25.JPG

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Pittsburgh's bridges, especially the Roberto Clemente, and where the rivers meet make pictures of the city look great, not the buildings themselves; hence, there is nothing special about Pittsburgh's skyline.

Hell, the most recognizeable thing about my city's (Memphis) skyline is about to become a Bass Pro Shops...

Pittsburgh's skyline is only recognizable because of one building - I think it is the U. of Pittsburgh's tower with the four pointed crown. The rest, you couldn't tell from anywhere else. You do really have to exclude the rivers when discussing the skyline, I think. SF, even without the Golden Gate Bridge has Coit Tower and the Transamerica Tower. Detroit would largely be faceless without the Renaissance Center; again, just one building makes it familiar. Cincy's skyline is only recognizable to me because I watched WKRP religiously growing up. Loni Anderson for pete's sake! the Arch is the only well-known structure in St. Louis for most. Nashville? I lived there and it is just the Batman bank one tower, and I doubt that it has reached any sort of iconic status beyond die-hard AFC football fans. I guess my point is it seems cheap to claim iconic status for a skyline based upon ONE building, ONE arch, or ONE Tower (Seattle, Dallas). I'm from Indy, and you wouldn't recognize it in a picture unless you grew up there.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived