What is the greatest professional sporting event y

gueman

What is the greatest professional sporting event you have ever attended?

For me it was the almost perfect game the Mike Mussina pitched against the Cleveland Indians May 30th 1997. Sandy Alomar singled with one out in the ninth before Mike got the last two with strike outs. I was with one of my best friends and we have been to hundreds of Orioles games over the years. That night it was unbelievable. You could feel the electricity building after about the 4th inning and after each inning it got more intense. I never experienced anything like it before or since and I'm married with 2 kids. It was special, I just wonder how it would have felt if he would have done it.

I was also at the Preakness in 1989, and relatively sober, for the greatest horse race I and many have seen. Sunday Silence and Easy Goer.

SundaySilenceEasyGoer.jpg

All I can say about that one is WOW.

So what's yours?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Greatest: Game 7, 1988 Wales Conference Finals, Boston beats New Jersey to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Second greatest: 2002 Patriots Super Bowl victory parade

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This topic keeps getting brought up but there is always one that was super amazing to go one that I always forget to mention. That was going to the sunday round of the 2002 Masters. It was a birthday gift that my family and my dads friends chipped in to get for his 50th borthday. Him and I went down and it was amazing. We got there early and were able to put our chairs right up front at the 12th tee box to where tou could see the 11th green hole 12 and them tee off at 13 (Amen Corner). After that we walked the course and stood at watched the 3rd hole for a bit. After pairs started to make their way through the front 9 we went back to out seats at 12. As Tiger came through in the lat pair we picked up our seats and started to follow them. On the 14th, 14th and or 16 (I can't remember) we ended up standing next Tiger's family with his then girlfriend (now wife) we even talked to them a bit. It ended up being a memorable day.

Others I have mentioned before:

Game 7 2003 ALCS

Game 7 2003 Stanley Cup Finals

Game 4 2001 World Series

Game 4 1995 Stanley Cup Finals

Game 6 2004 ALCS (Although I would like to forget that game)

Pretty much every big Devils playoff game since 1994 with the exception of this season because I live in Florida now.

probably seeing the local minor league hockey team The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees

all the players are available to chat with after the games, and it just makes it great that you get to know these guys at a level other than a sports player

it's cool that they actually recognize me when i see them at sam goody!!!

:D

a close second was seeing shaq play against the spurs (im a big shaq fan)

actually the funny thing was that the first time i was gonna see him he got suspended for almost giving brad miller a new face...luckly the 2nd time we went shaq did not get suspended, he was with l.a. at the time

Oregon hosting USC in football this year. tailgating pretty hard, the optimism that we can overcome the mighty Trojans and beat them at home...and then seeing Reggie Bush play in person. the kid is unreal, it's just not fair, and if you ever get the chance to see him play take it up.

last year, in basketball hosting UW...when they had Robinson on top of their team this year, which of course also included Brandon Roy...I didn't get to go because I had rugby, but I got back and watched the second half - a game that we should've won but went to overtime...then seeing my friends and roomates come back from the loss afterwards...heartbreaking.

harperdc.gif

I was also at the Preakness in 1989, and relatively sober, for the greatest horse race I and many have seen. Sunday Silence and Easy Goer.

SundaySilenceEasyGoer.jpg

All I can say about that one is WOW.

So what's yours?

THAT'S where I've seen you before. :P You were wearing a t-shirt, right? Even if it wasn't you, that was a great race.

For sheer electricity, it was Game 5 of the 1984 MISL Finals. The Baltimore Blast beat St. Louis to win the championship, 4-1. It was a blowout (10-3, IIRC), so the 4th Quarter was just one long celebration, with a sellout crowd at full roar practically the whole time.

For added fun, I left very early the next morning for Senior Week in Ocean City, Maryland, having graduated from HS the week before. All in all, very fun.

EDIT: Somehow I managed to forget mentioning the first round matches in the 1994 World Cup at RFK Stadium. Every one was great, but the first one we saw (Norway v. Mexico) was the most special (probably because it was the first). The energy and passion was incredible, starting with the moment we stepped out of the Metro train and heard the chants of "Mexico -- clap, clap, clap" echoing through the station.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The best game I ever saw was the Wizards beating the Lakers on a last second pass from Michael Jordan that led to a Jerry Stackhouse dunk as time expired. This was directly after Rob Horry hit a dagger three pointer to put the Lakers up by one with two seconds left. This was in November of 2002 and was a heck of a game. No historical significance of course, but a heck of a game.

I saw an interleague game between the Yankees and Giants a few years back. It was much anticipated, as it was to feature the first-ever Clemens/Bond confrontation. I'm pretty sure Bonds got three walks and I left early to beat traffic (in my defense, I had no gas in the gar and didn't want to run out in Bronx gridlock).

However, the most historically significant game I saw was the Devil Rays against the Orioles in 2002 or 2003. The D-Rays were looking to stop a 12- or -14-game losing streak so as not to become the team with the longest AL streak ever. They won on a walkoff home run.

Pretty sad, huh?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Nothing really big or memorable has happened in games i've attended, but the few semi-big things...

I was at the very last Montreal Expos home game. It was surprisingly very sad... like seeing a friend with 30,000 others and all knowing that friend will be dead before you see them again.

Roy Halladay pitched a 10 inning complete game shutout, first one in 13 years at the time.

I was at the game that Jeter got smoked by the jays catcher at third base and had to miss a few weeks

I was at Hideki Matsui's first MLB game and saw his first hit.

Barry Bonds hit his 589th career home run while I was in attendence.

I've been to a bunch of Jays games that were no-hitters into the 7th or 8th innings... usually involving Roy Halladay.

I was at an NBA game in which the attendence was 34,000

I've seen rain delays at the SkyDome and Olympic Stadium... probably one of the only people to have witnessed that.

The one series I missed during the 2003 season I missed 2 brawls and Delgado's 4-home run game. :(

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

While I will list the honorable mentions at teh bottom, I think I will have to go with Super Bowl XXII. I was in 9th grade and my parents were at a corporate meetings in Los Angeles that week, so I was some in Florida alone. Family friends kept it a secret and took me to the airport on Friday afternoon. I think it was the happiest I ever saw my dad...anywhere.

Honorable Mentions:

2002 Florida St. @ Miami (The Wide Left game)

Super Bowl XXXVI

Super Bowl XXV

2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl (Ohio St./Miami)

1995 Indy 500

WrestleMania 17 (The presentation was great even though The Rock "lost")

While I've managed to be on hand for one Super Bowl and two NFC Championship wins for Green Bay, the wildest I ever saw Lambeau was at the end of 2003 when they beat Denver while Arizona was knocking Minnesota out of the playoffs. My wife's family was up here for the game from Georgia and I had to tell them "it isn't this crazy EVERY week."

But the best was seeing the Brewers beat California to win the ALCS. We took the bus to the game and on the way back were getting and giving high fives out the bus window as it went down Wisconsin Avenue.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

2005-Vikes/Packers- Paul Edinger kicks a 56-yard field goal to win.

2000- T-Wolves/Blazers playoff game- the T-Wolves lost but 20,000 people chanting "Pippen Sucks" was fun.

1985 All-Star Game- boring game but was cool to watch.

2004 World Cup of Hockey quarterfinals- USA/Russia- Tkachuk scores 4 goals.

2001- Twins/Yankee's- Watching Chuck Knoblauch get pelted with beer bottles and cups at the end of the game.

2003-Vikes/Broncos- Moss laterals to Moe Williams to score at the end of the first half.

1997- Vikes/Panthers- Brad Johnson completes a touchdown pass to himself.

minn.png

September 26 (? - I don't have the ticket in front of me) 1995 - The last time the Red Sox clinched the AL East, Fenway Park...Jose Canseco drove in what proved to be the game-winning run, and Rick Aguilera comes in and shuts down the Brewers in the 9th. The Brewers were still in the AL at that point. I was 14 at the time. Awesome game. Prior to the over-saturation that is Red Sox Nation.

*EDIT* As an adult, I would say that the Browns-Ravens New Year's Day 2006 game was pretty fun. I drove up to Cleveland from RI the day before with my best friend who I hadn't seen in 2 years, and when we got to the game, the atmosphere was awesome. End zone seats 5 rows up (opposite the Dawg Pound) and Dennis Northcutt returned a punt for TD right in our direction. It was just awesome, you couldn't tell the Brownies were 6-10 on the atmosphere around the stadium. It was playoff-like. Browns fans love their football, and the fans there made me feel like one of them. :D

I was at the game that Jeter got smoked by the jays catcher at third base and had to miss a few weeks

I believe that was Ken Huckaby who destroyed Jeter, but it was Jeter's fault because you're supposed to slide feet first. Anyway I was at the Devils-Flyers conference finals game 6 here in New Jersey. The Devils won the series that night. It was incredible.

1991 World Series games 6 & 7. Puckett homers in the 11th to force Game 7 where Jack Morris pitches 10 shutout innings to win it all 1-0.

Beat that.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I believe that was Ken Huckaby who destroyed Jeter, but it was Jeter's fault because you're supposed to slide feet first.

Yes it was Huckaby, i didn't bother saying his name cause I figured noone would know who it was.

He called jeter after the game to apologise and jeter shot back to the media "why would ken huckaby have my phone number?"

classy.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Game 4 of the 2000 World Series. Dont remember too much about it even though I was 9 and it was only 6 years ago, other than being nearly trampled trying to get on the train after the game.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

I went to game 4 of the 99 stanley cup finals BUF vs. DAL. Sabres Won

I Saw Cal Ripkens last game in the Skydome, and the Bills home opener in 04 when we beat New England 31-0, great game.

saBS.png

Archived