Rays and Braves to Turn Back the Clock

TBGKon

One thing I always wondered about the Braves set at the time when they used them had to do with the white panel discrepency on the hats and batting helmets.

The hats the white is "evenly" applied to the front two panels of the hat.  But on the batting helmets, at the time and correctly reproduced for tonight's game, the white part seems violently pushed forward, almost Nike-fied in order to be more aerodynamic.

Anyone have any idea why the difference exists/existed?

I think just about every batting helmet that had a contrasting front panel looked like this. While on the cap, the contrasting color took up the front two panels, it was always more triangle-shaped on the helmets. An exception I can think of is the Padres, who had a contrasting triangle on their caps and their helmets.

Correct.

The only other exception to the trend of cap with the front 2 panels colored with matching helmets with a triangular area were the Brewers. The Brew Crew did the opposite of what the Padres did. Where the Padres made the cap area triangular to match the helmet (and they reproductions today never get it right, all the more reason to love the fact that I still have a 1983 gamer), the Brewers went the other way - the colored area had straight sides to match the caps more closely. The Expos had a similarly-shaped white front area for their pinwheel helmets.

The other teams (Braves, Blue Jays, Twins, Mariners, Orioles) did what the Braves are doing with the current throwbacks - white panels up front on the cap, triangular area on the helmets.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Oh my God. Those Tarpons unis look amazing. Sort of Stanfordish, but still great. Classy and simple. Id support that 100%, as long as they dont use a red T hat. Too Rangers to me.

It's just a 70s Reds jersey with "TARPONS" on it. I'd support the Cincinnati Reds wearing those.

Oh and those Braves uniforms look way too dated to be anything more than a one-shot deal. Not as if those red shirts are any better, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One thing I always wondered about the Braves set at the time when they used them had to do with the white panel discrepency on the hats and batting helmets.

The hats the white is "evenly" applied to the front two panels of the hat.  But on the batting helmets, at the time and correctly reproduced for tonight's game, the white part seems violently pushed forward, almost Nike-fied in order to be more aerodynamic.

I think just about every batting helmet that had a contrasting front panel looked like this. While on the cap, the contrasting color took up the front two panels, it was always more triangle-shaped on the helmets. An exception I can think of is the Padres, who had a contrasting triangle on their caps and their helmets.

Correct.

The only other exception to the trend of cap with the front 2 panels colored with matching helmets with a triangular area were the Brewers. The Brew Crew did the opposite of what the Padres did. Where the Padres made the cap area triangular to match the helmet (and they reproductions today never get it right, all the more reason to love the fact that I still have a 1983 gamer), the Brewers went the other way - the colored area had straight sides to match the caps more closely. The Expos had a similarly-shaped white front area for their pinwheel helmets.

The other teams (Braves, Blue Jays, Twins, Mariners, Orioles) did what the Braves are doing with the current throwbacks - white panels up front on the cap, triangular area on the helmets.

0000030064.jpg7846.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Correct.

I have an original 70's era replica batting helmet of this design in my closet from one of my first games as a "yoot."

I will chack it out tonight, maybe take a picture, to see what it tells me. Though a souvenier replica wont be an authority by any means it will be interesting to see.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

NOBODY'S EVER MADE THAT JOKE BEFORE

MAYBE THAY CAN BE THE LOS ANGELES TAMPONS OF ANAHEIM, LOL

HAY WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE IF THE D-RAYS AND ANGLES SWITCHED COLORS...WHAT IF?!?!?

They should take the "r" out of tarpon and replace it with an "m".

maybe they can put 'arm' in front of your name LOLZ!!!1 I PWND UZ! ROLZ!!~`

HAHA only you Chris lol. Somone just got pwned buy the Admin ^_^ .

4kv29i.jpg

I have an original 70's era replica batting helmet of this design in my closet from one of my first games as a "yoot."

I will chack it out tonight, maybe take a picture, to see what it tells me. Though a souvenier replica wont be an authority by any means it will be interesting to see.

Somewhere in my mom's attic are 2 or 3 boxes of the replica helmets I collected when I was a yoot. I had all the teams, updated faithfully every year. And they did screw up the Brewers' helmets - so yeah, I did have to take out my white paint and fix the problem (it's never too young to be anal-retentive!). Sadly, I also tried to "update" my Padres helmet when they dumped the gold triangles for the brown/orange color scheme. Bad idea on my part; I could've just waited a year and bought the update. :blink:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

the braves throwbacks are pretty cool looking but the Tampa Tarpons, don't know about that. They're just asking to be rebranded the Tampons. they best just stay away from that name.

Yeah, that name can only lead to bad things...for instance, imagine the headline when they end a losing streak...well, I'm not gonna say it, but hopefully you can figure out where I'm going with this.

It's just a 70s Reds jersey with "TARPONS" on it. I'd support the Cincinnati Reds wearing those.

If you read the thread you would know that the Tarpons of whom the jersey were replicated from were Florida State League affiliates of the Reds hence why they looked strikingly similar to the Reds unis of the Big Red Machine era.

fade.gif

capt.af4ffa186cff42299c9b0d95c68cbce3.braves_devil_rays_baseball_spd104.jpg

I really, really like the guy in the middle wearing the plaid pants. That's a nice touch. I wonder why the rest of the team doesn't have those? Either way, gotta love the Hank Aaron uni's.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

the braves throwbacks are pretty cool looking but the Tampa Tarpons, don't know about that.  They're just asking to be rebranded the Tampons.  they best just stay away from that name.

Yeah, that name can only lead to bad things...for instance, imagine the headline when they end a losing streak...well, I'm not gonna say it, but hopefully you can figure out where I'm going with this.

Is that another tampon joke?

Don't you people read?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Somewhere in my mom's attic are 2 or 3 boxes of the replica helmets I collected when I was a yoot. I had all the teams, updated faithfully every year. And they did screw up the Brewers' helmets - so yeah, I did have to take out my white paint and fix the problem (it's never too young to be anal-retentive!). Sadly, I also tried to "update" my Padres helmet when they dumped the gold triangles for the brown/orange color scheme. Bad idea on my part; I could've just waited a year and bought the update. :blink:

My God you sound like I was as a kid, too! ha ha. I wasn't too bad with the batting helmets (though I did have a sizeable collection), my big thing I had to update every year was the replica batting gloves. The ones with the elastic at the wrist, team colors and the logo sewn in a little square patch on the back of the hand. Whenever I went to a Buffalo Bisons game, I would get a new one from the souvenier guys, until I had all the teams for that year (or as many as I could get.) And then the next year I'd have to get a new one for the next year.

What I was worst at, though, was if I was playing a game of pickup baseball or wiffleball or something, I would REFUSE to play unless everyone was wearing matching team hats. So, if one guy was wearing a Yankees hat, EVERYBODY on the team had to be wearing a yankees hat. And I'd wear my matching batting helmet and batting glove when batting. I'm SUCH a geek.

I won't even get in to how many pickup football games I missed because I had to run home and put my jersey on. :P

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

If you read the thread you would know that the Tarpons of whom the jersey were replicated from were Florida State League affiliates of the Reds hence why they looked strikingly similar to the Reds unis of the Big Red Machine era.

I did read the thread. That's why I alluded to them being Reds jerseys. Bucfan was the one who didn't catch it.

I really, really like the guy in the middle wearing the plaid pants. That's a nice touch. I wonder why the rest of the team doesn't have those? Either way, gotta love the Hank Aaron uni's.

You're my hero

capt.af4ffa186cff42299c9b0d95c68cbce3.braves_devil_rays_baseball_spd104.jpg

JeffB

Those arent plaid pants, if you see the checkeboard pattern continues to the lower area of the jersey. That pattern is from the fence-type protection in front of the dugout.

throwbacks.png

Above is a screen cap of a pic of Jonny Gomes (Rays) and Andruw Jones (Braves) wearing the throwbacks that will be worn in todays game. This pic was taken at BP for Fridays game. Presumably they will wear throwback caps as well.

Braves, okay.

Devils Ray to Tarpons??? - NOOO!

This is so stupid.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

the braves throwbacks are pretty cool looking but the Tampa Tarpons, don't know about that.  They're just asking to be rebranded the Tampons.  they best just stay away from that name.

They pulled some strings.

(bow)

Archived