New NBA Ball?

Carter23

You know what I bet this is? In each NHL game, the game pucks are branded towards the home team and I wouldn't be shocked if the NBA is going to do the same with with either team/arena exclusive balls from either colour matching pannels to just a logo burned into the leather. It would bring a little pizzaz to the game making arena exclusive balls...so a yellow and purple Lakers ball or a Orange and Blue Knicks one. Not intensly coloured...but more along the lines of tinting. I do bet my money on some kind of exclusivity towards the home teams...

For what it's worth, NBA balls currently are individual to each team. There is a single line of text on each ball, all caps, that says "LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS" or "MILWAUKEE BUCKS" or whatever. Super exciting, I know.

Individualized balls for the home team would be pretty exciting. I hope they do it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the balls would be two-tone blue.

Oh, and how is the NBA racist against non-blacks? I thought was racist against blacks, because The Man made them dress like adults.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always considered the NBA to be, by far, the most color-blind sports league. They have people of all colors in all positions, and race is never an issue in the NBA. Look at the makeup of coaches, the best players in the game, and those in charge of head offices. While the owner situation isn't (for lack of a better term) culturally desirable (just one black majority-controlled team), just about everything else in the NBA is.

The NBA is racist against non-blacks? How incredibly stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yes, it's the new ball.

NO color change, it's synthetic with a better grip.

And the a-hole who said the NBA is racist against non-blacks (ask Steve Nash if he feels discriminated against) is the biggest idiot I've ever heard of. Use your brain before you speak next time.

IF (and I'm not saying one way or another because I have no idea) the NBA is racist against non-blacks, it isn't about treating the non-blacks currently in the league poorly so much as it is underrating the skills of a non-black player simply because they aren't black.

Beyond that being the base argument I've heard the couple times I've read about this issue, I know nothing else and don't desire to choose a side and/or get in an argument.

Now, lets try and bring this thread back on topic or it will have to be closed. If you wanna discuss racism in a civil manner, take it to the lounge or maybe sports in general if its about the NBA.

For what it's worth, I think the new ball looks pretty cool, but also very unnecessary. On the other hand, from what someone who appears to have info has said, there may be plenty of good reasons to make the change.

I always considered the NBA to be, by far, the most color-blind sports league. They have people of all colors in all positions, and race is never an issue in the NBA. Look at the makeup of coaches, the best players in the game, and those in charge of head offices.

The racial diversity of the NBA is fairly recent, though. I mean, when Larry Bird, with help from Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge, were leading the Boston Celtics to victory, this was a big deal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NBA should force teams that use basketballs in their logo to actually play with that ball. So we would get:

Pacers with a yellow ball.

Mavericks with a blue ball. (green for throwback games)

Magic with a blue ball.

Pistons with a red ball.

Hawks with a gold ball.

Cavaliers with a maroon ball.

Clippers with a white ball with red stripes.

Lakers with a yellow ball.

Heat with an orange ball that is actually on fire. You'll see a fast break then!

Nets with a silver ball.

Sonics with a yellow ball.

Suns with a flaming orange ball. See "Heat".

Raptors with a silver ball.

Wizards with a miniature gold ball.

Kings with a purple ball.

76ers with a gold ball.

Warriors with a GIANT orange ball.

B)

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

This new basketball makes a HUGE difference. Anyone who has actually played basketball would know this. It's not like they are just changing the color of the ball or something, they are repositioning the lines and grips of the ball. This will no doubt effect the way the players shoot, handle, dribble, etc because they have played with a regular basketball their whole lives and are used to the way it feels. This is a just a gimmick that is totally unnecessary and it is a downright travesty. There is nothing wrong with the way the ball is now.

By looking at the photo during the dunk contest and reading the post two before the one where i am replying on, I see two things.

1-The grip is really important is us novices. Think about it, When you shoot a FT, where do you grip? I go generally where all the channels meet. this ball does nt have that confluence.

2-Synthethics do have a longer life on a wood floor, but how often are the balls used? 3 hours in a dame, then placed in a practice rack for how long? The NBA might be just looking at it from a standpoint of selling official game balls that still can be used outdoors. Plus, the NBA ball is not currently NFHS (high school) approved.

The NBA should force teams that use basketballs in their logo to actually play with that ball. So we would get:

Pacers with a yellow ball.

Mavericks with a blue ball. (green for throwback games)

Magic with a blue ball.

Pistons with a red ball.

Hawks with a gold ball.

Cavaliers with a maroon ball.

Clippers with a white ball with red stripes.

Lakers with a yellow ball.

Heat with an orange ball that is actually on fire. You'll see a fast break then!

Nets with a silver ball.

Sonics with a yellow ball.

Suns with a flaming orange ball. See "Heat".

Raptors with a silver ball.

Wizards with a miniature gold ball.

Kings with a purple ball.

76ers with a gold ball.

Warriors with a GIANT orange ball.

B)

That would be pretty awesome actually. I wouldn't mind seeing Alonso Mourning on fire.

So the box definitely has a ball in it? It's not the Rockets black alts? ;)

Logos that would have to be updated:

Eastern Conference logo

Western Conference logo

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Miami Heat

New Jersey Nets

New York Knicks

New Orleans Hornets

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Sonics

Toronto Raptors

Utah Jazz

Washington Wizards

... also the Grizzlies, Bobcats and Blazers would have to change their secondary and the Bulls would have to change center court if I'm not mistaken.... (I'm not sure what secondaries the Bucks will have, if any)

I saw, I came, I left.

Eastern Conference logo

Western Conference logo

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Miami Heat

New Jersey Nets

New York Knicks

New Orleans Hornets

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Sonics

Toronto Raptors

Utah Jazz

Washington Wizards

it wasn't until I saw this that I realized the NBA's team logos are THE MOST DEPENDENT on the league's ball. I mean--think about it: Only ONE team in the NFL uses a football as a major part of their logo: the Jets. (Yes, the Buccaneers and now the Dolphins include a little football in their logos--but that's just an add-on feature; none of those logos had a football as a starting base.) There's a couple in the MLB that do it (right off the top of my head, the Mets and Brewers are two good examples), and I don't think ANY NHL team uses a puck. But the NBA? I just now realized HOW MANY LOGOS ARE so heavilty dependent on the ball! I think I can count 10--the Clippers, Pacers, Magic, Heat, Pistons, Nets, Knicks, Suns, Jazz, and, to an extent, the Raptors. (Now I really wish Detroit would go back to the flaming horsehead-MUCH better than what they have now)...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Eastern Conference logo

Western Conference logo

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Miami Heat

New Jersey Nets

New York Knicks

New Orleans Hornets

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Sonics

Toronto Raptors

Utah Jazz

Washington Wizards

it wasn't until I saw this that I realized the NBA's team logos are THE MOST DEPENDENT on the league's ball. I mean--think about it: Only ONE team in the NFL uses a football as a major part of their logo: the Jets. (Yes, the Buccaneers and now the Dolphins include a little football in their logos--but that's just an add-on feature; none of those logos had a football as a starting base.) There's a couple in the MLB that do it (right off the top of my head, the Mets and Brewers are two good examples), and I don't think ANY NHL team uses a puck. But the NBA? I just now realized HOW MANY LOGOS ARE so heavilty dependent on the ball! I think I can count 10--the Clippers, Pacers, Magic, Heat, Pistons, Nets, Knicks, Suns, Jazz, and, to an extent, the Raptors. (Now I really wish Detroit would go back to the flaming horsehead-MUCH better than what they have now)...

I think it would be great for them NOT to change their logos in favor of preserving or honoring the "old" ball (if you can call it that.)

One example of this is with many world soccer clubs having the old fashioned soccer ball in their logos/crests. They haven't changed the ball even though soccer balls continue changing because in many cases the logos/crests haven't changed in favor of history.

Who knows, maybe "history" can make its way into the NBA logos preserving some identities for years to come instead of changing for change sake. It wouls be nice for more than one or two logos to stay the same for many decades as opposed to only one or two.

my 2 cents on the racial thing in basketball...personally, i could careless of the color, i just want the best available person. i don't care if they black, white, green, blue or purple or martian(please no marvin the martian jokes), i want the best available person to play. that goes across the board from football, baseball, hockey or business or anyother places of employment. i want the most qualified person for the position. end of story. black, white, venusian doesn't matter.

now i got that out of the way, how bout the glowing basketball you know like the fox trax glow puck. or have cute computer graphics when ever someone like wade or dirk takes over the game and starts dunking balls you would see a computer graphic of them on fire. then maybe have cute little cartoon computer generated characters like Shrek, Spiderman, and Spongebob on the court. hey you gotta make it kid friendly.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Eastern Conference logo

Western Conference logo

Atlanta Hawks

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

Dallas Mavericks

Detroit Pistons

Golden State Warriors

Indiana Pacers

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Miami Heat

New Jersey Nets

New York Knicks

New Orleans Hornets

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Sonics

Toronto Raptors

Utah Jazz

Washington Wizards

But a lot of teams do use a hockey stick in their logos.

But i doubt the shape of the hocley stick is going to change

I don't like the idea of a new ball, but I figure we'll all get over it in a year. They change the printing on hockey pucks every few years. They also went away from American/National League balls to one ball for the whole league. Granted neither of those changes altered the look, this isn't the first time a ball change has been made.

Also, look at soccer. They change the ball every season. They also change the jerseys every season. I promise you if some yahoo figures out that the NBA can make money off of changing the teams jerseys every year, you can best bet it'll start happening. Sports in 20 years: The players will still be overpaid, never have team loyalty, and the teams will change jerseys every year. So every season you'll go hey I don't recognize any players or uniforms on my team. But the bigwigs won't care because they'll be making money.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived