CCSLC Graphic Design Collective

gordie_delini

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with what what Sterling said, in that while we have the talent we'd need to work on the attitude. We'd need people who are experienced to do the talking, wheeling, and dealing, as it were. Obviously, there'd be a lot of business angles that would have to be worked out for this to work realistically, and perhaps it would have to, like any real job / place of employment, be subject to a interview process. The standards would have to be pretty high with respect to who you guys would hire, especially when it comes to those who are talented, but who have no experience dealing with clients.

This isn't the sort of thing that would happen overnight. It would, I imagine, take some time before Chris and whomever else was involved in the organization of the project come across a structure that would work, and then it's just a matter of building up rep from there.

As for where I would fit in with this?

I'm good with wordmarks and small logos. I can't draw. I have ideas, but I'm not good at executing them. What I do for people and my own fantasy teams is a hobby. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd be willing to be a part of it, but not at the expense of someone who has greater talent / ideas than myself.

That's about it.

philly.png

Well it seems to me that there is enough interest here. I can talk to Chris and see how he might like to handle a business model for this venue. I think since this is a Sports-interested community, we might focus on marketing ourselves as more of a sports marketing firm, and I think, as Sterling suggested, that targeting high schools, minor league, and lower division college teams would definitely be a way to start building some credentials. I'm glad to see this progressing, but I too agree that we would need to select individuals who would work well together as a group. Again, this is something I'll have to talk to Chris about. But again, it's great to see this moving!

OD_Signature.jpg

It is better to start off with the lower teams and then build up a rep with them and then expand. The only thing i would say is that how will you get the business of logo design for the schools. Will individuals go and visit in person or will you base it on online sales pitches

logo.png

I'm not great at putting my logos onto the computer, but I think I'm pretty good at drawing them on paper, provided someone could possibly make them onto the computer. I can submit some concepts if you wanna see them.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I know I'm nowhere near the level a number of the members but I would be interested in such an enterprise.

If you are going to do it, I think the idea of a Board of Directors suggested earlier would be the way to go.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I'm not great at putting my logos onto the computer, but I think I'm pretty good at drawing them on paper, provided someone could possibly make them onto the computer. I can submit some concepts if you wanna see them.

Sooner or later you are going to have to do it on your own. But dont worry im in the same position, but am i trying to work harder and learn more on the pen tool and get use to it. Start now and it will pay off later...

4kv29i.jpg

Sooner or later you are going to have to do it on your own. But dont worry im in the same position, but am i trying to work harder and learn more on the pen tool and get use to it. Start now and it will pay off later...

Well it's not that I don't have the skills, it's just I don't have Photoshop, Adobe, Corel, etc. Just MS Paint. I can do images, but normally they don't come out as well as I invisioned.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well it's not that I don't have the skills, it's just I don't have Photoshop, Adobe, Corel, etc. Just MS Paint. I can do images, but normally they don't come out as well as I invisioned.

Download Inkscape. It is pretty much an Adobe or Corel knock-off, but it gets the job done!

This'll show O'Grady.

I like this idea. I'm not great at designing logos, but I have been doodling jersey designs for over 3 years now (not all at this site), refining myself. Many have needed to be reworked, or were pretty abstract, but I'm getting more familiar with it.

That's all I have to say for now, if you think I'll be useful somehow you know where to find me.

Now, I know I suck at logos, designing them and all that jazz. But, if you wanted business cards made, notepads made, flyers made..... I can do that kind of stuff. I'm very proficient in PageMaker, in fact, more proficient in PageMaker than in PhotoShop. That'd be another way to reach the customer. Making business cards with their logo or if they were advertising, make flyers with their logo. To the guy, who came up with this, terriffic idea B)

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Anyone selected to be part of this venture has to check any design ego they might have at the door. If you look at it that way, you'll go far.

There's a great collective here. Guys who are great at sketching ideas, guys who are great at executing them, and guys who are great at pitching them. I can see this going places.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

The opportunity to work with such an extraordinary collaboration of employees is hard to pass up (pending my acceptance). I don't think this should be exclusively sports-oriented, though. Keep in mind, plenty of businesses worldwide are looking for new identies every so often.

I think it should be organized as jdub just mentioned - have different departments or tiers for each group/level of talent and work from there.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

The business plan for this company should be an interesting read. If this gets off the ground, I see alot of friendships going down in flames.

I think a better solution would be a forum where members (for a nominal fee to Chris) would have a link/ad posted offering their services, including a sampling of their portfolio. Then each participating member could have a banner on their own site stating they are a member of this association.

Chris would benefit in two ways. One is he would have money coming in to support the site. Second, he could refer the requests made to him to the posted ads/links, thus improving the status of his site (not that it needs it). Plus, there is that referral fee. :D

I'm not suggesting that people couldn't work together peaceably on individual projects. I just think long-term arrangements are problematic, given the egos, talent level, etc. involved.

And very few designers get away with working only on sports branding. You really need to avail yourself of all design work.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Well after reading all the posts for this thread, IMO this IS a really good idea. I would like to see some sort of collective nationwide group of designers. Would I want to be associated with it, heck yes!

Phone calls and voting would definitely have to involved in the process. And with the abundance of talent that frequents this part of the web, success is goal that should be well surpassed.

But I do agree with the posts that mentioned checking one's ego at the door. Just like with the teams we wish to brand, we need to work together, understand and accept the role we play on this team and sacrifice individual glory for the betterment of the team. Team success will lead to the individual recognition. Do good for the group and the group will take care of you.

Please keep me updated if I would even be considered for being a part of something like this.

Thanks!

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

Archived