Why did everybody go navy blue crazy?

BRM_PTX

Why did a lot of teams that had blue as one of their colors change that blue to navy blue?Examples are Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, and the New England Patriots.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

*waits for rest of post*

... --- ...

Hm, that's it? Not much of a reason to make a post, really. Are you expecting a serious answer, as if we were involved in the decisions, somehow? Are you expecting a mountain of sympaty--a rage against the navy machine, if you will?

Y'know, I can pretty much predict the rest of this thread for you, if you'd like. There will be a thunderous "amen" from people who are perpetually stuck in the 60s, with posts of lots of "this is real blue!!OMG!!!!" example photos posted from the same era.

Eventually, someone will decide to stray a bit from that, posting a powder blue Chargers uniform. After that, get out your mops, 'cause everyone's going to soil themselves over the idea of powder blue making a sweeping comeback.

After the cacophony of "old-school" wankery, it will peter out. In a couple of months, someone will post a brand new topic asking the same question. Thus, the cycle will begin anew.

Did I cover everything?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You forgot about mentioning black. Everything else looks A-OK.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

*waits for rest of post*

... --- ...

Hm, that's it? Not much of a reason to make a post, really. Are you expecting a serious answer, as if we were involved in the decisions, somehow? Are you expecting a mountain of sympaty--a rage against the navy machine, if you will?

Y'know, I can pretty much predict the rest of this thread for you, if you'd like. There will be a thunderous "amen" from people who are perpetually stuck in the 60s, with posts of lots of "this is real blue!!OMG!!!!" example photos posted from the same era.

Eventually, someone will decide to stray a bit from that, posting a powder blue Chargers uniform. After that, get out your mops, 'cause everyone's going to soil themselves over the idea of powder blue making a sweeping comeback.

After the cacophony of "old-school" wankery, it will peter out. In a couple of months, someone will post a brand new topic asking the same question. Thus, the cycle will begin anew.

Did I cover everything?

You know, if you don't like the way things work around here, you should contact one of the mods.

:P

Why did a lot of teams that had blue as one of their colors change that blue to navy blue?Examples are Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, and the New England Patriots.

Same reason why brown, orange, and yellow became so popluar in the 70s - people liked it.

Although navy blue is MUCH more traditional (and tasteful, for that matter), I suspect you'll see a slow and gradual trend in which navy will start to lose its grip on the monopoly it holds over so many sports logos and jerseys.

At least I hope.

Black. That's why.

During the mid-late 90's teams with black jerseys began to sell more of their appeal (Raiders, Steelers, both Kings, etc...). Other teams wanted in on this gold mine, so they began changing up their uniforms. Some teams added black accents, which became an excuse to create black alternates. Some teams made black the primary colour of their uniforms. Others went with navy.

Take the St. Louis Rams for example. They wanted to get in on the "black fad." Problem was, they couldn't swicth to black. The Rams have always been blue, since the days they were in Cleveland. So the went to the darkest shade of blue that wasn' black-navy. Same story for the Bills, Pats, Broncos, etc...

Black. That's why.

Did I call it or what?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I think it's all about fashion. Caps, jerseys, etc are worn in everyday life much more than in the past and Navy/Black goes with more, or at least doesn't clash with as much as say a bright royal blue.

Navy is definitely a lot easier to wear than royal blue. I know when BYU switched from royal to navy, it seemed that a lot more students wore BYU gear around.

But who knows, maybe in a few years, the trend will swing back.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Navy is definitely a lot easier to wear than royal blue.

That answers the original question. Bingo.

It's the same reason teal and purple faded out in the same time span.

It's all about merchandise...navy is easier to wear than royal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So teams will trade in tradition for merchandise sells.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

So teams will trade in tradition for merchandise sells.

In some instances, absolutely.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived