Boyhood heros

zer0dotcom

For a few after that, Raphael.

I was more a Michelangelo fan...

I was more of a Raphael person myself, although it had more to do with my favourite colour at the time being red as opposed to anything else... Michelangelo was cool, but it seemed at times that's all his character was... with Leonardo being the hero, Donatello the smart one, Michelangelo the cool party animal, I guess I went with the non-cliched one.

NHL: Way back in the day... Bob Essensa... oh yeah. Add Teppo Numminen in there, Randy Carlyle, Hawerchuk, that takes me back... Selanne (72-73-74, Bossy's Record Is No More!), Khabibulin (or if you're Scotty Bowman, Cabby-oh-boobly-in). These days... Sakic, Forsberg, and that Marc-Andre Fleury is cool. Oh, and from watching World Juniors when I was little... guys like Fiset, Legace, Theodore, Denis, Luongo, Iginla, Mat Biron, Phillips... many a good Christmas vacation spent watching hockey...

NBA: Michael Jordan. The best ever. Unlike most of the board, I'm a basketball fan. More recently: Vince Carter.

NFL: Terrell Davis, John Elway, Kurt Warner, Bruce/Holt/Faulk, more recently Portis/Plummer.

CFL: Matt Dunigan, MILT STEGALL, Khari Jones, Juran Bolden, Bigg Mike Sellers, Charles Roberts... and a bit of Doug Flutie too.

MLB: Joe Carter, Paul Molitor, Roberto Alomar, Candy Maldonado (how can you not love a name like that?), most of the '92-'93 Blue Jays, Ken Griffey Jr/A-Rod in their Seattle days... more recently Corey Koskie, Delgado, Halladay.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

growing up in cincinnati during the who-dey days of the bengals I loved Boomer Esiason, and then during baseball season it was Barry Larkin. In hockey I liked Jagr and Lemieux, but nowit's Rick Nash of the Jackets

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

NBA- who cant look up to Michael Jordan. other than him i was a big Muggsy Bouges fan..Nowadays i really like Stephon Marbury and LeBron (whats not to like about him).

NFL- Barry Sanders was the man, along with the buc's i liked as a kid i would say i looked up to bucco bruce more than any of the players.  :laugh: but now the usual Bucs: Brooks Lynch Barber Rice Jurevicius and Alstott AND Gramatica.

wasnt too big on the NHL when i was young or the MLB for that matter. Just knew about Gretzky, Lemuix, Jagr...along with Ripken, Bonds, and Kenny Lofton

Only one did I truly idolize:  Willie Stargell.  Pops exemplified team spirit to me when I was growing up in the Pittsburgh area.  Hitting dingers now and then didn't hurt, either.  I even emulated his bat windmill when in little league; still use a modified version of it today on those rare occasions when I play softball.

nav-logo.png

At around age 9, I realized sports and their fun.  So, my 'heroes' were few but helped medevelope that sporting need...Dan Marino, Steve Largent and after watching some old footage of JIm Brown, he was added to that list.

[AD - NCFA] Arctic University Kodiaks (5-1-0, CONF 0-0-0)

[Owner - NABA] Arctic Menace (18-12)

Copying JQK and CC

Minneapolis.gif

VP.jpg

For a few after that, Raphael.

I was more a Michelangelo fan...

I was more of a Raphael person myself, although it had more to do with my favourite colour at the time being red as opposed to anything else... Michelangelo was cool, but it seemed at times that's all his character was... with Leonardo being the hero, Donatello the smart one, Michelangelo the cool party animal, I guess I went with the non-cliched one.

But Raphael was chiched, he was the bad-ass.

Being a geek myself, I was always a fan of Donatello.

mlb - tommy brookens, lance parrish, jack morris (until he became a traitor) chet lemon, milt wilcox, alan trammell, sweet lou whitaker, dave parker, bruce hurst (same last name as me, so i had to like him), fernando valenzuela, dave stewart

nhl - bobby orr, ken dryden, bryan trottier, mike bossy, grant fuhr, harold snepsts, reed larson, john ogrodnick and the rest of the 'dead wings' of that era, wendel clark, guy lafleur, the howe family, the espositos, gerry cheevers, bernie parent and the broad street bullies

nfl - earl campbell, billy sims, mike singletary, franco harris, jim plunkett

usfl - anthony carter, bobby hebert

nba - bill laimbeer, julius erving, bernard king, isaiah thomas, dominique wilkins, kevin 'frankenstein' mchale, danny ainge

By era:

Kid (1968-80):

MLB - Bob Gibson

NHL - Garry Unger

NFL - Jim Hart

ABA - Marvin Barnes

Teen-Young Adult (1980-1990)

MLB - Ozzie Smith

NHL - Rob Ramage, Bernie Federko

NFL - Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Ottis Anderson

NBA - Jordan

Adult

MLB - Albert Pujols, Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter

NHL - Patrick Roy, Al MacInnis

NFL - Aeneas Williams, Ray Lewis, Justin Smith

NBA - It stops at Jordan

NBA: Mitch Richmond and Spudd Web

NHL: Trevor Linden

MLB: Mark McGwire

NFL: Barry Sanders (He's from my hometown),Howie Long, and the entire Philadelphia Eagles Defense under Buddy Ryan

And the greates pro wrestlers of all time, Bret "Hitman" Hart and "The Rocket" Owen Hart

Why is Donatello gettin' no love???? :D:D:D

93-94canucks.jpg

Archived