LA Condors

random_ax

I understand that the top vote-getter for a new NFL franchise was the LA Condors (or California Condors). Is that true? I know the franchise was eventually lost to Houston (Texans) but can any fans in LA verify that Condors seemed to be the favorite? I think the logo below would have been a great logo for the team after some modification...

http://clevelandcondors.dynu.com/icons/condors_logo.gif

It was originally the logo of the Chicago Condors womens' basketball team but I see a minor league baseball team adopted it.

What do you logo fans think of this if it had been on a LA Condor helmet ( with the baseball replaced with a football etc)?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that the top vote-getter for a new NFL franchise was the LA Condors (or California Condors). Is that true? I know the franchise was eventually lost to Houston (Texans) but can any fans in LA verify that Condors seemed to be the favorite?

I don't think I ever heard that.

LA's bid for an NFL team never got anywhere near actually discussing a team name. If it had, Houston wouldn't have a club.

Sounds like fan speculation, or perhaps a local newspaper poll. Nothing serious.

I feel that LA shouldn't have a football team, for three reasons:

1. They're going to come up with some sad name that's going to make me laugh everytime someone says it. Gladiators? Arena written all over it. Condors? Come on. This is the city that used to house both the Raiders and the Rams. No offense, but you gotta do better than that, or no team at all.

2. I don't like the area around Memorial Coliseum at all. Firstly, because it's USC territory, and coming from a UCLA family and being a Cal guy, I have no desire to tread on USC territory...unless it was to make fun of the Trojans and cheer on my Golden Bears. Secondly, the surrounding area isn't exactly the nicest neighborhood in LA. I'd be more willing to make a farther trip to Pasadena and see a pro team at the Rose Bowl instead just for the better neighborhood alone.

3. Traffic is already unbearable on the 405 and the 10, especially when the two intersect. And Memorial Coliseum is right off the 10. The last thing I want to do on my Sunday is get back on that :cursing: freeway AGAIN, and I'm sure a lot of Los Angelinos will agree with me.

And this is all why I moved up to Berkeley! GO GOLDEN BEARS!

galaxy.png

1. They're going to come up with some sad name that's going to make me laugh everytime someone says it. Gladiators? Arena written all over it. Condors? Come on. This is the city that used to house both the Raiders and the Rams. No offense, but you gotta do better than that, or no team at all.

2. I don't like the area around Memorial Coliseum at all. Firstly, because it's USC territory, and coming from a UCLA family and being a Cal guy, I have no desire to tread on USC territory...unless it was to make fun of the Trojans and cheer on my Golden Bears. Secondly, the surrounding area isn't exactly the nicest neighborhood in LA. I'd be more willing to make a farther trip to Pasadena and see a pro team at the Rose Bowl instead just for the better neighborhood alone.

3. Traffic is already unbearable on the 405 and the 10, especially when the two intersect. And Memorial Coliseum is right off the 10. The last thing I want to do on my Sunday is get back on that :cursing: freeway AGAIN, and I'm sure a lot of Los Angelinos will agree with me.

What's wrong with LA Condors or Clifornia Condors? You're talking about the kargest bird-of-prey there is and the Califonria condor is indigneous to the state (obviously). I kinda like the logo I found and what would be better than Condors?

I think Condors would be a good name for a team in L.A., with either Los Angeles or California in front of it.

I would really like the idea of reviving the name "Dons" for a team in L.A. The Los Angeles Dons played in the All-American Football Conference from 1946-1949.

I think it would be a great reference to early California (similar to Padres or 49'ers), but I doubt the idea of Spanish noblemen would play very well in today's football attitude of "Protecting Houses" and such......

Yeah, S.F. University is the Dons.

I don't think there would be a problem with it though, because they wouldn't be in very close proximity, and I'm sure that the hypothetical NFL team wouldn't steal the University's Green and Gold.

I wonder if there's ever been any friction between the S.F. 49'ers and the Long Beach State 49'ers??

3. Traffic is already unbearable on the 405 and the 10, especially when the two intersect. And Memorial Coliseum is right off the 10. The last thing I want to do on my Sunday is get back on that  :cursing:  freeway AGAIN, and I'm sure a lot of Los Angelinos will agree with me.

What's wrong with LA Condors or Clifornia Condors? You're talking about the kargest bird-of-prey there is and the Califonria condor is indigneous to the state (obviously). I kinda like the logo I found and what would be better than Condors?

Yeah, but the bird is more famous for being on the Endangered Species List-not exactly a confidence builder. :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That Saint logo would never fly. I just moved from LA and they were having huge political debates about taking some little cross off the city's official seal.

Anyway, Condors seems like a decent name, but I think it would be insulting to the three established franchises in the state to call LA's team the California Condors (maybe Southern California Condors?).

Personally, I think Gladitors is a great name, but it evokes USC a bit too much, and the UCLA fans might not like that.

I think Los Angeles Vipers or Cobras or something would sound cool. There aren't enough snake-themed names in the big leagues.

Dons would be my 1st choice for a team in LA. It's simple, to the point, and envokes local flare. Back before Houston was given it's expansion franchise, I thought of the name Stars (it could've worked for wither franchise). Helmet-wise, Stars might not have worked because of the Dallas Cowboys design, but I'm sure something creative could have been worked out.

Dons would be my 1st choice for a team in LA.  It's simple, to the point, and envokes local flare.  Back before Houston was given it's expansion franchise, I thought of the name Stars (it could've worked for wither franchise).  Helmet-wise, Stars might not have worked because of the Dallas Cowboys design, but I'm sure something creative could have been worked out.

Also, Los Angeles's team in the old ABA was called the Stars. It would have been sort of like MLB's Colorado Rockies, who took the name of the extinct NHL team.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived