The long awaited Sabres jerseys

Sabrejeff

First off, does anyone feel that everything on the jersey is just too small. The numbers are modern, but they look small. The buffaslug, though we should never make it huge, looks small.

I agree, those items (other than the #s on the back) look small (which I do like, actually). However, I think those items are smaller b/c this jersey design will shrink in a few years when they go to the 'swift' style jerseys. I think Quinn has noted that they designed the jersey with the swift change in mind. At that point the logos will look just right. Also, if you look at the white jersey in particular, you can get an idea of how the jersey will look when it is shrunk down -- much more of a football look. I know I'll get my ass kicked on this board for saying it, but I think I like where the jersey is headed. I like the new jerseys, they are refreshing and different, and after all, we do still have the 3rd jersey too.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but that's California, where most of the population has no idea there is a hockey team there...Or two even.

and we have yet another "hockey doesn't belong in warm weather climate" idiot

yes, if you think that way, you deserve to be called an idiot.

Yeah, but that's California, where most of the population has no idea there is a hockey team there...Or two even.

and we have yet another "hockey doesn't belong in warm weather climate" idiot

yes, if you think that way, you deserve to be called an idiot.

He's probably thinking of here, where talk of the upcoming Hurricanes' season leads people to stock up on bottled water and flashlights.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Thanks, Pantone. Guess I was pretty wrong, lol.

The Blues and Preds, although (growing) rivals, manage the same color thing well. The Preds add in a touch of silver, the Blues use royal more than navy, and the jersey styles are completely different.

The Sabres really clash with the Preds quite a bit more.

JS*...your recoloring and new logo makes it look quite a bit better, thought still not great. This change wouldn't make it look great either, but how about making the silver stripe in the pants gold (and leaving the gold one gold--so basically a thicker gold)? Though it doesn't really work anyways, it appears they intended to have the silver stripe on the pants run into the silver stripe on the jersey, so by switching them both to gold, you keep that element in tact.

Of course, it's still not a very good jersey design no matter how you change it.

Has anyone mentioned what was said in the Buffalo News article on Sunday regarding the unis?

The Sabres tried to incorporate their original emblem, but they couldn't make it work.

"It was easier to start from scratch," said Frank Cravotta, Sabres director of creative services. "When your old logo is such an icon, it's hard to redo it."

Cravotta said the Sabres evaluated about 80 logo designs before settling on one. Then there were about 12 revisions before it was finalized.

Buffalo News- "Blue and Gold, Part II"

I'm not sure why they couldn't incorporate the old logo, or even an updated version of it. And the slug was the best of 80 designs? Dear God, what did the other 79 look like? And it was revised a dozen times -- I can't imagine what it looked like in its embryonic form.

This is the worst NHL uniforms to date!

Two lies in this statement.

1) This is not an NHL uniform. It's got ECHL written all over it.

2) There were far worse unis in NHL history. Think Phoenix. Think Vancouver. Think Anaheim's alternates.

But, in the here in now, yes, this is the worst design in the league. Buffalo strikes again. Will we ever stop trying to be fashionable? We are Buffalo! We can't!

EDIT: But at least they have avoided the loathsome laces. I will give credit where credit is due.

I hope you don't mean the old Yotes uniforms. Some of the best and most creative jerseys in the NHL. Much better than their current cookie cutter yawn-fests.

Has anyone mentioned what was said in the Buffalo News article on Sunday regarding the unis?

The Sabres tried to incorporate their original emblem, but they couldn't make it work.

"It was easier to start from scratch," said Frank Cravotta, Sabres director of creative services. "When your old logo is such an icon, it's hard to redo it."

Cravotta said the Sabres evaluated about 80 logo designs before settling on one. Then there were about 12 revisions before it was finalized.

Buffalo News- "Blue and Gold, Part II"

I'm not sure why they couldn't incorporate the old logo, or even an updated version of it. And the slug was the best of 80 designs? Dear God, what did the other 79 look like? And it was revised a dozen times? I can't imagine what it looked like in its embryonic form?

That's BS and everyone knows it.

JS* has done exactly what they claim they couldn't do. The thing is, they knew about JS* and exactly how to get in touch with him and use his services. I have no doubt he would have done so at a price that was if nothing else, no more than what they ended up paying.

The only thing I haven't seen that's been great from JS* is jersey designs, but those are an evolving part of the process, and I'm pretty darn sure had he been brought into the fold, that he'd have come up with a winner in the end.

Stop making excuses Sabres. You could have made your identity awesome. Instead you went one direction and seem content with telling people it's awesome until they believe you.

The population does know that there are three NHL teams in California, let alone, not ALL people know that there are four ECHL teams in Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, and Long Beach. We may not get snow regularly where these teams play, but let me assure you, hockey is alive and well in California, no matter what some wish to think.

Let's not visit this topic again.

And now, we rejoin our regularly scheduled thread already in progress.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Cooperalls were also considered unsafe because they didnt provide much in the way of "drag" for a player that got pulled off his feet...the socks slow you down a little bit when youre sliding towards the boards or net, but the sheen of the cooperalls didnt allow for that.

As for the Sabres, the logo blows. The jerseys are bad. The RBKification of the NHL is off to a bad start. If you guys thought the Sabres debacle was bad on this board, imagine the outcry before next season with the "sleek" jerseys and multiple re-designs marring "traditional" looks like the Blackhawks or Canadiens. Think "Sabres outrage times 100".

this is just an all around disappointment. This is barely acceptable for the ECHL. i'm sure every kid and their Dora the Explorer toy will like this but they had an opportunity to give the franchise a fresh look and IMNSHO they failed. in todays modern age of mass media and graphic design artists, there is no excuse for this. JS alone designed an overall package that was acceptable if not spot on for the new look.

unfortunatly management could give a rats ass about how the fans love or loathe the jersey. They would put a heaping helping of dog pile on a jersey and sell it as a new look if they knew it would sell. money talks and bulls--- talks. Its all about the money and nothing else.

At least 'Fishticks' are no longer the worst design package ever. (yes i happen to love fishticks) ^_^ . We might as well get used to this jersey. Unlike fishticks, it's going to be around for a LONG time and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :evil:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

If you guys thought the Sabres debacle was bad on this board, imagine the outcry before next season with the "sleek" jerseys and multiple re-designs marring "traditional" looks like the Blackhawks or Canadiens. Think "Sabres outrage times 100".

just to inform or reiterate, There will be no Form fit jerseys from RBK ever in the NHL, this comes from a friend of mine who works with the Hawks. when the inital vote came on them at the GM meeting in Vegas, some of the new teams voted for them but when it came to a all or nothing vote, the jerseys lost. so no form fit shirts

...after all, we do still have the 3rd jersey too.

For one year... then the NHL is abandoning the 3rd jersey program, for at least... what was it? one year or two.

So really... the whole "hey, we're giving you the old jersey too" thing is just a red herring, because after those 15 games this season, it's gone.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

After all the pictures of the players wearing these jerseys, does anyone have any idea of the rhyme and reason behind the design? I still haven't seen a shot of them laying flay with the arms straight out to the sides. At this point it looks like a child scribbles on a jersey.

If you guys thought the Sabres debacle was bad on this board, imagine the outcry before next season with the "sleek" jerseys and multiple re-designs marring "traditional" looks like the Blackhawks or Canadiens.  Think "Sabres outrage times 100".

just to inform or reiterate, There will be no Form fit jerseys from RBK ever in the NHL, this comes from a friend of mine who works with the Hawks. when the inital vote came on them at the GM meeting in Vegas, some of the new teams voted for them but when it came to a all or nothing vote, the jerseys lost. so no form fit shirts

That was RBK's first attempt. The NHL told them go back and try again, so apprently we'll still get to see form-fitting jerseys v2 in 07-08.

Hopefully the NHL's rejection of the first batch will mean that the new sweaters are just the same designs that we have on tigher material (with an alteration here or there because of the new cut), which I have no problem with.

If RBK comes to the NHL with more crap like the stuff that was rejected last year hopefully the NHL will put the form fitting project out of its misery.

If you guys thought the Sabres debacle was bad on this board, imagine the outcry before next season with the "sleek" jerseys and multiple re-designs marring "traditional" looks like the Blackhawks or Canadiens.  Think "Sabres outrage times 100".

That was a vote to use them for 2006/07... they are still expected to be worn for 2007/08 (which is why all third jerseys are being eliminated)... last I heard we should expect some sort of announcement around late December.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived