The long awaited Sabres jerseys

Sabrejeff

Basically, I like the logo and the jersey....never had a problem with the logo in the first place.....and I was at the arena when it was unveiled and I love the jersey. Many people on here are saying they hate the logo and the jersey, but I don't think everyone feels the same way seeing how long the line was to the Sabres store. Quite frankly.....i'm pretty sure many people outside of the sabres fans like the jersey, we just have tons of wannabe critics on here...its sad and quite pathetic lol.

I think these are one of the best jerseys in the league now...and i'm not just saying that cause i'm a sabres fan. Its a sharp design...and for those who think these are done in a few years, you're smoking...it won't happen.

Then leave.

Just because he/she disagrees with you? Come on.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm really not sure what you just said.

But yes. We call more things ugly than other groups.

We think about design issues and analyze designs more than others groups. It's because we're designers and people who are at least interested in the field.

So, we look at this design...on ALL it's merits...color, striping, consistancy, flow, tradition, logic...and we make a decision. And the majority of us agree that this designs fails on most of those issues.

What's this "we?" Are we talking like a Tyranid Hive Mind? Or something different, like a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who trash 90% of logos that come on this forum through posts that read as though they all have the same talking points?

But, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right.

Dead on target there.

Nope, nevermind. I'm 100% right.

You sit there, make wisecracks that aren't really wise or funny. You do your against the majority thing. You claim the majority opinion is meaningless somehow because it's the majority thing.

I'm right if for no other reason, then I spent time to make points and explain my thoughts.

You dismiss them just to see your type on a message board.

There's no bandwagon, and there's no trashing of 90% of logos by the majority. By in large, I'd say people like 75% of MAJOR sports league logos out there. They're for the most part quality. We can probably find ways to improve 90% of them, but that's not trashing.

It's true that a high percentage of new logos and uniforms are trashed to being with, but that comes from high standards. These teams make hype about the new stuff, they act like they're doing something great. So when they don't think everything through and they fail to do a pretty excellent job...well, they're gonna get trashed. In two years that logo might have fallen into that group of 75% that people think is fine and quality, but could probably use some touching up. Or it might be a really, really bad one that failed so badly that people still can't stand it.

But when something is made new, it should be made right, and if it's not, it's gonna be trashed at the start.

I really don't see what the huge problem is with the jersey itself. The logo is atrocious, but the jersey is not that bad. I'd give it a 7/10. Also, IIRC, Larry Quinn said when he was on WGR yesterday that next year the throwbacks will match the shells in color.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Basically, I like the logo and the jersey....never had a problem with the logo in the first place.....and I was at the arena when it was unveiled and I love the jersey. Many people on here are saying they hate the logo and the jersey, but I don't think everyone feels the same way seeing how long the line was to the Sabres store. Quite frankly.....i'm pretty sure many people outside of the sabres fans like the jersey, we just have tons of wannabe critics on here...its sad and quite pathetic lol.

I think these are one of the best jerseys in the league now...and i'm not just saying that cause i'm a sabres fan. Its a sharp design...and for those who think these are done in a few years, you're smoking...it won't happen.

Then leave.

Just because he/she disagrees with you? Come on.

No, because he/she is obviously not happy with the atmosphere of this board. If so, then why would he/she continue to post here?

What are you hoping to accomplish with this "disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing" attitude you seem to have lately?

I'm afraid to share my true opinions on anything because I know you'll just chop everything up about it and put a label on it.

STL's post was spot-on, if you're uncomfortable with such a setting then, well, you know where to go.

Well, I'd much prefer that there was a little independent thought in how people reacted to both the new Sabres' logo and uniform. All of the Sabres threads have the distinct feeling of a dogpile as everyone here lines up to take their shot using the same talking points. I'm not trying to be contrary just to be contrary, but rather I'm pointing something out that's painfully obvious from merely an objective glance, especially with all of those personal pronouns flying around claiming to be the voice of the denizens of the fora. ;)

The heart of the matter is simply Josh's post was spot on because the "outrage" ofer the new logo had nothing to do with the technical merits of the logo or wordmark, but the bare truth is that the reaction would be different if this package was for a team not named the Buffalo Sabres, but no one's really coming around to say that. It doesn't take that much grey matter to realise that. Heck, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it, which should say something about the brain power to notice things like that. ;)

The Sabres were right. The logo does look different on the jersey in contrast to it sitting all by its slugsome. I'm pretty indifferent to the Sabres in general, but I don't see the outrage over the sleeve stripes in comparison to the stripes on the previous incarnation. They're just as escoteric, but at least here it matches up with the motion the logo is allegedly conveying. The logo looks a lot better in the context of the jersey, but considering how it wasn't starting in fabulous field position, that's not saying much. With that said, the number on the front looks forced in that position, and would do well by being put on the lower hem a la Pensacola/Quebec, and put striping to match the sleeves down there also.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The logo looks a lot better in the context of the jersey, but considering how it wasn't starting in fabulous field position, that's not saying much. With that said, the number on the front looks forced in that position, and would do well by being put on the lower hem a la Pensacola/Quebec, and put striping to match the sleeves down there also.

All you CCSLCers are the same <_< Hate everything. see? :P

To be honest, I didn't mind the uniforms after seeing the first few photographs, but it was when I saw the full body shots that I really started to hate this new look.

Example... I think these look great

unveiling-9-16-06-02.jpgunveiling-9-16-06-08.jpg

But these look bloody awful!

unveiling-9-16-06-09.jpgunveiling-9-16-06-10.jpg

I think they came close with the uniforms... but they blew it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

These designs are here to stay. Jerseys were sold out within and hour and all of the new merchandise sold out today as well.

I find it sad that Sabres fans slowly got sucked in by the hype and lost the fight that they had when the logo was first leaked.

The logo hasn't changed. It's still the same one they wanted to get rid of.

And the jerseys aren't much better than the logo.

All you CCSLCers are the same <_< Hate everything. see? :P

Try as I might to resist, but the Hive Mind is getting to me :P

I agree with you there, but just for comparison's sake, I recoloured the Ice Pilots' jersey and plopped the slug on there. The sleeve striping looks to be similar, but here's what a little striping at the bottom would do, along with putting the numbers at the bottom...

slugpilots.gif

It's no Detroit Red Wings, but it is an improvement.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Without any striping or ANYTHING at the bottom of the sweater, it looks as incomplete as a sweater would look without a crest or numbers. That's a pretty integral part of the hockey sweater and it's absent here. You need some color there or else it looks pretty amateur.

The logo is bad; we've been over that already. The front numbers, I don't really mind, and while I think that could work leaguewide, it's not really necessary with #s on the sleeves and back. Plus, it would just ruin classic Original Six sweaters, especially New York's.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is it just me, or does the jersey cut seem different? They seem to be longer on the torso then most jerseys normally are and look a little slimmer against the body too...I dont know if its just because of the lack of a bottom stripe or what, but thats my observation. Otherwise I agree with Chris's post...what he said is exactly what I thought.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

These designs are here to stay. Jerseys were sold out within and hour and all of the new merchandise sold out today as well.

That tells me nothing. It was only sold out because it's new and it were bought by people who went to a uniform unveiling. Those I guess are the hardcore fans who would buy anything with the teams logo on it because they want to wear what the team wears. As I have said before sports jersey sells have nothing to do with the design of the uniform. People aren't going to go to a new uniform unveiling and not buy something. So of course there is going to be a spike in merchendise sales the true test is if can sustain which I don't think it will. I think the sells of the vintage stuff when that goes on sell will start to outsell the slug. I don't think these will last more than the 2 year minimum.

The logo itself isn't that bad. Had the Bills introduce it for their helmet logo it would be fine. But it is not appropraite for the Sabres Sabres unlike Bills can be depicted pictorally and it should be. The original set did that. However it was dated and needed to be modernized. Part of being a good logo though is if it is approriate for the team, this is not. The logo is compunded by the uniform design which is awful the worst being the grey stripe that goes over the shoulder. The slug wouldn't look as bad if it were on a traditional looking jersey.

This jersey also worries me about the RBK redesign. Reason being is that RBK is new to the Hockey world and base off of these uniforms don't understand the traditions when it comes to uniforms. RBK came into the hockey buisness when they bought out The Hockey Company, but unlike Nike who bought Bauer a decade ago RBK has no experience in hockey (Nike had made uniforms prior to the buyout of Bauer). Fortunatly however it looks like some of the more conservative teams in the league will rest the major changes RBK wants to make in order to put their stamp on the league. Last year it looked like Chicago and Carolina were the ones that helped put a stop to the tucked in look, probably because they would like to keep their current designs as much as possible.

To sum up I don't think this will last long for the Sabres and I am a bit worried about the redesign.

Archived