Soccer player in a baseball cap?

Gothamite

In my soccer playing days, I occasionally wore a baseball cap in the goal on sunny days and/or when the sun was getting low at the opposite end of the field.

No pictures though. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Walter Zenga, in his playing days with the Revolution, wore his hat backwards...

t1_zenga_all.jpg

Based on the other pics posted, it looks better when its worn backwards.

It might 'look better' turned to the back but the stated purpose in wearing a cap as a keeper is to block the sun :wacko:

fade.gif

Based on the other pics posted, it looks better when its worn backwards.

But that kind of defeats the function, wouldn't you say?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

It's not a common practice, but it's not rare, if that makes sense. FIFA allows it. Most of the time I've seen it the caps sort of matches the uniform. For example, I've seen a GK wearing a black cap with the swoosh on the front, and the team is a Nike team.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It's not a common practice, but it's not rare, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. In fact, I almost wrote that too.

For what it is worth, the only time I was ever questioned was by a referee who insisted goalkeepers are only allowed to wear a "soft-billed" cap (whatever the hell that is), instead of a standard baseball cap with a rigid bill.

The least they could do is make the hats look like a part of the uniform. These players look like they threw on their fishing cap or maybe the free promotional cap you get when you sign up for something.

The hat that Zenga wore while playing for the Revolution was made by Reebok, then the kit supplier. The hat was black with the number 1 (same font as on the uniform) on the side in a mini spider web (as Zenga's nickname was spiderman) and the Revolution logo on the front.

They were sold at the proshop at Foxboro stadium.

patriotssignature.png

I have a vague recollection of soccer players wearing "beanies" during a rather snowy Champions League game some years back. I'm thinking the match involved Dinamo Kiev but don't quote me on tht.

This might take some googling... :D

liverpool-1.png

The least they could do is make the hats look like a part of the uniform. These players look like they threw on their fishing cap or maybe the free promotional cap you get when you sign up for something.

A fishing hat like this?

http://columbia.com/Product.aspx?top=6&cat=610∏=1143

;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

it's a big throwback too - goalkeepers in times of yore oftentimes wore caps to signify that they were the keeper - or if they were the captain. I could be wrong about that, but I do know I've seen many pictures of keepers wearing hats - I think it may have been a predecessor to the different colored jersey that they adopted.

The same idea goes to an international player getting a "cap" when he plays in an international match for country - players used to receive a cap for every game they played on the international stage. Now, most players get one cap with all the games they played in embroidered on the cap at the end of a tournament. Slightly unrelated, but still interesting.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived