Lehigh Valley AAA team name

JaMike81

I'm unimpressed.

The rendering of the pig's head is decidedly awkward. In trying to communicate that the pig's head is comprised of two pieces of iron riveted together, the designers have - conversely - created an image that emphasises the idea that the head has been cleaved in two. The emphasis on the pig's cheek also draws far too much focus.

The wordmark is about what I expected. It's nicely rendered, but nothing earth-shattering.

It seems to me that in the wake of the public backlash against the IronPigs name, the graphic designers charged with generating a logo for the team were bound and determined not to create something too cloyingly cute. They strove to play it middle-of-the-road safe... and the result is an unremarkable logo where various elements of the design don't mesh very well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just for clarity, here is a larger version

IronPigs-Logo-GIF.gif

Courtesy of GamePlan Branding.

There. Fixed it. :D

I don't know if you're kidding or not, but Plan B Branding did do the logo, along with the:

- Clearwater Threshers

- Reading Phillies

- Lakeland Flying Tigers

heh, I'll be the (so far) lone voice of dissent and tell ya I kinda like it. heh, the only thing I'd scratch my head over is the fact that the IronPigs wordmark is basically in Pirate-style lettering.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Not bad. I would have went with Steel Dragons (Nickname for the Bethlehem SteelWorks), but whatever, this works for them ,and that's fine...

It's a minor-league logo, and taken in that context, i think it's fine. Not the best, but not attrocious. It's better than average.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Not bad. I would have went with Steel Dragons (Nickname for the Bethlehem SteelWorks), but whatever, this works for them ,and that's fine...

Did someone say Steel Dragons? I must curse you for reminding me of this. At least Jennifer Aniston looked typically good in the movie ("Rockstar", for the multitudes of you who have never seen it).

steeldragon.jpg

As for the IronPigs logo, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I think the designers were fighting an uphill battle all along because they were working with a terrible name. The pig just looks weird (I can't describe it better than that), but the wordmark is pretty good.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Poor illustration. The nostrils are off, one being higher than the other, the side of the head with the eye looks like it is a profile but then the nose and the opposite side of the head show the head in 3/4 profile.

But that nose bothers me a lot.

Not a graphic designer or anything, but I go to school in the area and saw all the hoopla over it. I think the wordmark looks acceptable, but that logo is pretty bad. They could have been more creative with the logo given the team name (I know some don't like it, but it is a minor league team, and so it is marketable because of the region and it is kind of quirky). This just does not look well executed

I understand the "it's a minor league name" argument, but I think that AAA level ball should be a little more professional, since these teams are considered the higher level, and are usually comprised of players with some MLB experience (though many top prospects rise out of AA to ML.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived