Real Salt Lake gets shirt sponsor

dfwabel

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Salt_Lake

The word "real" in the team's name is taken from the Spanish word real. Real, as it is used in Real Salt Lake, and in the names of certain Spanish soccer clubs such as Real Madrid, is roughly pronounced ray-all, with the accent on the al. When translating the Spanish word real into English, it has more than one meaning. In Spanish, the word real is used to mean real, as in real life (la vida real); also, it is used to mean royal, as in royal family (familia real). This distinction notwithstanding, the two meanings are still closely connected. Things spoken of in Spanish as real carry with them a slight feeling of royal, and vice versa.

In the case of the names of soccer clubs, real is used to mean royal. This name is bestowed on a number of clubs that play in Spain's La Liga by the Spanish crown. The Salt Lake City club's owner, Dave Checketts, desired to attach his team to a successful soccer club, Real Madrid, as well as to develop a brand that was clearly associated with 'soccer', leading to the choice of name. The team's uniform and colors were inspired by those of the Spanish national team.

The team's name was initially met with derision and pessimism among the fan community. Many fans thought the name should more accurately reflect the Salt Lake area. Such complaints seem curious, however, being that the Utah Jazz of the NBA does not comply with such a standard. In the past year the criticism from local fans and the media has waned, and the club has instituted a formal relationship with Real Madrid that brings it numerous advantages.

Both? You can't support two clubs. Especially if MLS moves to single-table.

Pick a club, any club.

Then I guess I'd lean towards Houston, since they did just win the MLS Cup

"Excuse me. Is this where I climb on the bandwagon?"

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Pick a club, any club.

Hey, bandwagoning is ok when you dont have a local team in the same league, and as long as you stick with who you choose.

Pick a club, any club.

get outta my way dammit! I can't pull my Revolution shirt off and get on the wagon with you in my way!!!!!

:D

IM interested to see what other MLS clubs do with their kits with the new sponsorship rules. Hopefully they keep it strict and classy in regards to what sponsors they choose.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived