New Logo for the French Football Federation

Breakwood

Joke answers aside, I was always curious as to why the French teams use a chicken on their jerseys in many sports.

Anybody know why?

The "chicken" you are referring to is the coq gaulois, or french cockerel. The bird has been a symbol of France for hundreds of years. This is a result of the fact that the Latin word Gallus was used to describe the ancient region (Gaul) that is now France, while the Latin word for rooster was gallus.

Joke answers aside, I was always curious as to why the French teams use a chicken on their jerseys in many sports.

Anybody know why?

Dan

The Rooster is the official animal of France, it's used on alot of other national sports logos, like for the Rugby and Ice Hockey Federations

1zqy8ok.gif

Damn. It really would have looked better with the second star. :(

Agree on the gradients. The rest isn't bad.

It's a huge improvement over the previous one:

FootballLogo165.gif

Unless this is actually a replacement for the shirt crest:

FranceHSS0507.jpg

in which case I think it's a downgrade, just because it's so much busier than the original.

Why isn't the rooster headbutting an italian? :P

I think officeglenn essentially said all that's needed. The hexagon? *counts sides*, yes hexagon, is kind of bothersome to me. It's just so bulky, and half of it seems unnecessary. The rooster only takes up a small bit of it. I think it'd look better as some sort of shield or just a circle of some sort. The Spiderman/PS3 font has to go though.

If they could've simply updated the old one, using the new rooster, I think that would've worked.

france.jpg

The actual rendering of the rooster: good.

Gradients: bad.

Spider-Man font: ugly.

Possible Clint Eastwood, western reference? :D

I basically agree with everyone here that the gradients and spiderman font on this logo has to go. I do like the chicken crest logo on the jersey better than this logo. I agree with Gothamite; this logo is a huge improvement on the old flying F.

The hexagon? *counts sides*, yes hexagon, is kind of bothersome to me. It's just so bulky, and half of it seems unnecessary. The rooster only takes up a small bit of it. I think it'd look better as some sort of shield or just a circle of some sort.

France is sometimes known as L'Hexagone (The Hexagon) because of it's shape.

That is a pretty cool looking rooster ... as far as roosters go.

But I agree, it is pretty funny, and pretty ironic, that the French use a chicken as a national symbol. It's like they're sending out a huge invitation for jokes.

heh, ironically, we americans are basically the only ones who associate poultry with cowardice (and even then it aint universal, as South Carolina's mascot qualifies as a chicken, as does Delaware's). they hold roosters with the same esteem we hold eagles, for the most part.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

FranceHSS0507.jpg

Should have stuck with the traditional crest. This new logo is a mess and ditto on the gradient (yuck).

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived