Other names for Avalanche

_RH_

"Denver Cliffs" would've been a decent name--by which I mean better than Rocky Mountain XTreme--but then someone would ask if their sweaters would consist of a bunch of multicolored squares and rectangles.

But then again the "Denver NORMS!" would have also been a cool name. At least the crowd would have already had a rallying cry.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to use "Rocky Mountain", it should be the "Rocky Mountain High"

Rocky Moutain Oysters would be a better choice IMO. How you depict that, though, is entirely up to you. It's plural, and it's not abstract - perfect for a crest.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

IIRC "Denver Avalanche" was the nickname of an indoor soccer team that folded or moved out of Denver at about the same time the NHL Colorado Rockies did. So, Denver has not one, but two teams with recycled nicknames from other sports.

You do recall correctly. I don't remember the exact years the Denver Avalanche played, but they lasted at least a couple of years in the MISL.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

IIRC "Denver Avalanche" was the nickname of an indoor soccer team that folded or moved out of Denver at about the same time the NHL Colorado Rockies did. So, Denver has not one, but two teams with recycled nicknames from other sports.

You do recall correctly. I don't remember the exact years the Denver Avalanche played, but they lasted at least a couple of years in the MISL.

If anyone is interested, here's their logo:DenverAvalanche8082.GIF

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

If anyone is interested, here's their logo:DenverAvalanche8082.GIF

In scoring this logo on quality, I'd give it two points for royal blue and green. Thus, overall......two points.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If you're going to use "Rocky Mountain", it should be the "Rocky Mountain High"

...and to think the Wild rejected the name Minnesota Northern Lights. When the Rocky Mountain High played the Minnesota Northern Lights, you'd have a whole new crowd out in force that had the overpowering smell of burnt rope.

I wish they would have been named the Avalanches. I hate the singular nicknames.

I certainly agree with you on that one. There is no place in sports for singular nicknames. I will concede, however, that this name is not as bad as Heat, Jazz or the like. At least it is possible to be an avalanche, while someone cannot be a heat or a jazz.

Or the Denver Johns. The logo could be a picture of a guy handing a $20 out the car window to a woman in "provocative" clothing.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Avalanche were almost the "Rocky Mountain Xtreme" and had the Whalers moved to Columbus instead of Carolina, they were going to be known as the "Columbus Xplorers".

How fantastic would it have been to see an "Xtreme" vs "Xplorers" game? :wacko:

Thank god we were spared these indoor soccer/roller hockey/lacrosse-ish nicknames.

The Avalanche were almost the "Rocky Mountain Xtreme" and had the Whalers moved to Columbus instead of Carolina, they were going to be known as the "Columbus Xplorers".

How fantastic would it have been to see an "Xtreme" vs "Xplorers" game? :wacko:

Thank god we were spared these indoor soccer/roller hockey/lacrosse-ish nicknames.

Thank god the mid-90s ended.

Archived