What's your favorite scoreboard?

Titanium Eagle

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the scoreboard, a couple of things really unique about Fenway Park...

PeskysPole.jpg

Johnny Pesky hit 5 of his 8 career home runs around that pole, thus the Pesky Pole.

tedseat.jpg

ted_seat_thumb_3.jpg

It's where the ball landed after Ted Williams hit the longest home run ever at Fenway, 502 feet in 1946.

I'm going to sound like a homer, but keep in mind I'm not a Braves fan...

The Braves humoungous HD screen in center field is ridiculously cool. It's hard to keep your eyes off it the first time you see it. I don't know how big it is, but it seems like it's at least 10 stories tall:

128222-Atlanta-Braves-scoreboard-0.jpg

As for other quirks, I like how Philips Arena stacks its luxury suites all on one side. Plus, the beams that spell ATLANTA on one side:

61003670_be1bacd810_m.jpg

Edited by me: Because I couldn't see it.

YES! Both of those are things that I love about those two venues. Another thing about the Braves: At night games the tomahawk on the scoreboard does the Tomahawk Chop when it kicks up. I can't get enough of the Tomahawk Chop, and when you have a big ol neon one doing it, it doesn't get any better.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

Not only does it say "ATLANTA" on one side, it says "CNN" on the other side.

front.jpg

Not only does it say "ATLANTA" on one side, it says "CNN" on the other side.

front.jpg

Gotta love subliminal advertising.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I thought of a few others...

The flying budweiser eagle after every cardinal home run at Sportsmans Park (or Busch I):

sp-sb.jpg

The Flying Cardinals at Busch II

(can't find an image...basically they were neon and they would fly across center field after cardinal home runs)

Also of course the arches at the top of that stadium were excellent. The shadows that they made were something else.

The Bears Video screens are really cool because they extend out and are oddly shaped.

CIMG4814.JPG

Yes they are homer picks...but in reality...we know our home teams stadiums better than any other. So I see no problem with at least showing the cool gimicks from our home team's stadium. I appreciate others doing it. I never knew about the Nashville Sounds scoreboard...that thing is sweet!

Big Time Homer Thread...I'll add to it :flagcanada:

The SkyDome Hotel

or the Renaissance Hotel

yyzbr_b1a.jpg

skydome.jpg

skydome_01.jpg

I've actually stayed in that hotel once. You can watch Blue Jays games from the comfort of your room through windows that look driectly into the stadium.

p.s. I already know that I'm setting myself up for a 'you know you can watch the games on TV' joke

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I hate gimmicks like that. There's no reason for a freakin' pool in centerfield. You're there to watch the game, not have a pool party.

Well, it's Arizona. And it's not a gimmick. It makes our ballpark unique. You want another cookie cutter stadium crap?

Unique, but not one of a kind.

Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers AA) has a pool as well. That same builder is building a pool in my backyard as we speak, although not as large.

pool.jpg

The Texas Rangers have an office complex in center field.

Texas%20Rangers%20Stadium.jpg

Texas Motor Speedway has condominiums

Speedway%2020.JPG

Quirk? How about the retractable field at University of Phoenix Stadium:

20060909_PH2006090901190.jpg

8751.jpg

8752.jpg

But then again, I'm a biased Cardinals fan...

I also love the 60-foot tall, transparent (perforated metal) logo in the north entrance/Gate 2:

20060811_P8120003_b.jpg

that's actually extremely cool, I've never seen that before! amazing!

untitled-6.jpg

I like what the Jays have done to the Skydome/Roger Centre, it will always been known to me as the "Skydome." All the updates they made with the scoreboards and outta town boards are great. They finally got rid of the terrible grphics that they had on the outta town scoreboards on the walls in field with bubbly diamond shpes that took 30 seconds to interpret, but by then a score from another game would be up. Good job on the new graphics

Well, if it were 'game over,' the thread would have ended on Page 1 when it was first posted, but it didn't and I'm glad this is a favorites thread and not "best." Who cares if we're all homers, like someone else said, it has pointed out some of the less obvious quirks in pro sports stadiums. (Nashville Sounds was new to me, too -- very cool)

And I'm glad that so far it hasn't devolved into a "mine is better" debate.

Tal's Hill in Houston.

TalsHill.jpg

Is there a story as to why they did that? Never found out why...

I believe it pays homage to Crosley Field in Cincinnati, which had a hill leading up to the wall in left field.

And in "in play" centre field flagpole copies Detroit's Tiger Stadium:

Tigers27.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

...which makes no sense now, seeing as how the arena is no longer a part of TimeWarner.

Actually it makes perfect sense, as that is the entrance that leads you into CNN Center, which is attached to Philips.

I'm very aware of that.

It's the non-TimeWarner entity advertising a TimeWarner entity that now makes no sense. It's no longer a shameless advertisement.

Archived