speedy

Part 1

Chinese Taipei

Japan

Korea

China

Part 2

Canada

Now up to bat, the United States of America.

Some backround first, with the World Baseball Classic being the brain child of Major League Baseball, and baseball being "America's Pastime" the US entered play as heavy favorites to take the title. However, despite coming out of the gate with a nice 2-0 victory against Mexico, the US stumbled against Canada. Dontrelle Willis was unable to find his grove as team Canada pounded the Marlins starter, gaining an 8 run advantage before the US could find any type of answer. Behind 6 fifth inning runs, the US pulled within 2, but we unable to muster any more offense and fell to their neighbors to the north 8-6. The loss to Canada put the US in a bind, luckily enough they were playing an uninspired South African squad. Needed a win to advance into round 2, and backed by 2 Junior Griffey home runs, the US easily handled South Africa 17-0. The United States opened up round 2 with a 4-3 victory of the team from the land of the rising sun. Unfortunetly that would be their last victory of the Classic, as for the 2nd time, Dontrelle Willis was beat around but this time at the hands of the South Koreans. With a slight hope of still advancing to the semi's, America needed a victory against a Mexican squad they had previously beatin 2-0. Starting for the US was Roger Clemens, with the way he pitched in his first outing, advancing seemed like a lock. But unable to find the success of their first meeting, the US fell 2-1. Deemed a huge dissapointment, the US finished in 8th place, far lower than anyone could've predicted.

Up next, the uniforms. The US sported these clip-art disasters. The cap logo also left alot to be desired, unknown if Microsoft Word will sue. Is there a thing more over done in United States sports than making the S the stripes of the flag? It doesn't even look like stripes, reminds me more of twizzlers. Could've done alot better with these.

As for my uniforms, I stayed away from any type of stars or stripes in the wordmark. The cap is inspired by the White Sox logo, obviously not the same, just gave me the idea. By the time I finished I realized it had a Braves feel, but the Braves have a classy set, so it's fine with me. As for the color of the cap, this I had problems with, I'm not sure if the all blue cap clashes with the amount of red on the uniforms. I originally had an all red cap and a blue cap with a red bill thrown in, but discarded them on the final draft.

USA.png

C&C as always..

Yeah, it does look like the Braves set, but the Braves have the best set in baseball, so its all good. The script on the front looks good to me, but the hat is a problem. Its a good idea linking the letters like the White Sox, but it looks to crammed. Plus, you have the same 3 letters on the hat and the jersey. Also, flip the flag around, its facing the wrong way.

Plus, you have the same 3 letters on the hat and the jersey. Also, flip the flag around, its facing the wrong way.

What's wrong with having the same letters on the cap thats on the jersey? White Sox, Yankees, Cubs just to name a few do the same thing.

And no, the flag is not facing the wrong way.

Arrgh Mateys!

I don't really like the piratey font. I think the piping is fine, I just don't like the fonts.

Try and go for a font that reminds you of a stronghold, like a bank or sumthin'.

Or maybe even a scrpt, like the declaration of independance.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Plus, you have the same 3 letters on the hat and the jersey. Also, flip the flag around, its facing the wrong way.

What's wrong with having the same letters on the cap thats on the jersey? White Sox, Yankees, Cubs just to name a few do the same thing.

And no, the flag is not facing the wrong way.

I think the issue is that you have the same three letters, but they are in a different arrangement. The White Sox's "Sox" and Yankees' "NY" are in the same interlocking design on both cap and jersey.

Let's not get into the whole "backward flag" issue again.

You'd better turn the flag around. That's improper use of the U.S. flag, having it facing left.

Otherwise, I like this concept. Good job. And I do like the font as a change of pace.

To clear things up, the flag "appears" to be backwards because it is stated somewhere that the flag is to be worn on a uniform sleeve (military, baseball, etc) as if it were blowing to the back of the wearer.

That is why it is placed like that, see below for an example:

dlee-usa.jpg

New_Army_Uniform_400x.jpg

You'd better turn the flag around. That's improper use of the U.S. flag, having it facing left.

Otherwise, I like this concept. Good job. And I do like the font as a change of pace.

To clear things up, the flag "appears" to be backwards because it is stated somewhere that the flag is to be worn on a uniform sleeve (military, baseball, etc) as if it were blowing to the back of the wearer.

That is why it is placed like that, see below for an example:

dlee-usa.jpg

New_Army_Uniform_400x.jpg

It is a reference to the fact that if the flag was on a pole and you are going forward it would blow in that direction (reverse field) if you have it facing the other direction it is said to be a "Retreat". And if you fly it upside done you are in danger and need help.

As for the concept... The U and S interlock the A does not, I would make all or nothing... just my opinion...

and yes I am glad someone knows why the reverse field Flag is around...

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

one thing i've always wondered about concerning any USA uniform is why "AMERICA" by itself is never used...

i know that there's a central, north, and south america but when some one says "american," or "over in america," we all know what country they're talking about.......i think it might look a little better than "USA"

or has it been done?

that would be the improper way of doing it. as shown here.

bobbyflay_ica.png

one thing i've always wondered about concerning any USA uniform is why "AMERICA" by itself is never used...

i know that there's a central, north, and south america but when some one says "american," or "over in america," we all know what country they're talking about.......i think it might look a little better than "USA"

or has it been done?

Answered your own question, in a sense.

as much as george dubya bush likes to say "american" as our country name... that doesn't make it so.

we're the united states of america. shortered to USA. united states is also acceptable... but "america" is made up of many many countries.

i LOVE this concept. i'd buy that white jersey.

perhaps, on the caps, i'd try just a single white star. may look a little too old school, but it would defaintely be clean. maybe with a red bill?

either way, i love this concept. it's another winner, man. i enjoy your work.

While your execution is top-notch, this is my least favorite of the series so far. I don't like the font. It doesn't work for me. Also as was said before, all-or-nothing on the interlocking cap logo. That said, "USA" might be a little much for a cap. I don't have much of a fix-all suggestion for you this look just doesn't do it for me.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I looked up all sorts of articles on flag etiquette, and everything on there indicates that the stars should be in the upper left-hand corner.

However, seeing that photo of the serviceman, I'd have to say the U.S. military is very up on how a flag should be represented in a patch. So I would stand corrected.

However, it still looks wrong. This photo of Neil Armstrong looks right:

Neil Armstrong

Archived