Cardinals to wear World Series patch for home games

Gmac1018

Just a thought, but if a team that is as traditional and classy as the Red Sox can work with a gold outline on opening day after winning the World Series, what makes the Cardinals so mightily above this harmless celebratory gimmick?

If it's anything like the Red Sox opening day in 2005, they'll probably only wear these for the pre-game ceremonies.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find the gold outline even more subtle than a logo. I don't find that unclassy either.

But unlike the logo, I find that COMPLETELY unnecessary and a little bothersome. Thankfully it'll probably be just for one day, and like RC suggests, hopefully just for the pregame.

When Canada won the gold medal in all the hockey events and added a gold logo around their outline, were they being unclassy?

And Rams80...I think you're just worrying too much. Yes, Spring Training is just Spring Training, but our pitching is shaping up REALLY well. I think they'll be fine in the regular season. It's unfortunate to hear you're one of those Encarnacion haters...so many just won't give him a fair shake. Either way, I think, so long as Jimmy and Juan aren't out too long, we've got the bench to fill in for a short time.

When Canada won the gold medal in all the hockey events and added a gold logo around their outline, were they being unclassy?

Yes, yes they were.

As for the Cardinals, if this is just for one game, then I'm fine with it.

It would be an classless move to wear it the entire season, however.

Yes, yes they were.

The logo or the gold outline? Or both?

I personally don't think it was classless for Canada to do it, so long as it was removed as soon as one team lost the medal.

Again, for the Cardinals, while I don't think it's classless, I'd be very frustrated to see a gold outline all year.

I find the gold outline even more subtle than a logo. I don't find that unclassy either.

But unlike the logo, I find that COMPLETELY unnecessary and a little bothersome. Thankfully it'll probably be just for one day, and like RC suggests, hopefully just for the pregame.

And Rams80...I think you're just worrying too much. Yes, Spring Training is just Spring Training, but our pitching is shaping up REALLY well. I think they'll be fine in the regular season. It's unfortunate to hear you're one of those Encarnacion haters...so many just won't give him a fair shake. Either way, I think, so long as Jimmy and Juan aren't out too long, we've got the bench to fill in for a short time.

I lost all confidence in Isringhausen's ability over last season, and after Carpenter and maybe Wainwright, I don't see any other Cardinals starter that consistently fills me with excitement. On Encarnacion, I'll put it this way-my Dad, who is not known for strong language, calls him a bum. (as opposed to my nickname of "Rally Killer"). I just don't like how often he strikes/flies/gets out with one or two outs and runners in scoring position.

The only saving grace for the Cardinals this year is the unbalanced schedule and the NL Central, but I don't think that will be enough this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I lost all confidence in Isringhausen's ability over last season, and after Carpenter and maybe Wainwright, I don't see any other Cardinals starter that consistently fills me with excitement. On Encarnacion, I'll put it this way-my Dad, who is not known for strong language, calls him a bum. (as opposed to my nickname of "Rally Killer"). I just don't like how often he strikes/flies/gets out with one or two outs and runners in scoring position.

The only saving grace for the Cardinals this year is the unbalanced schedule and the NL Central, but I don't think that will be enough this year.

Izzy was hurt last year. He's fixed up now. He's always had a flare for making it interesting, but when he's hurt he makes that one bad pitch that really hurts things. If he's healthy, and he seems to be, I think he'll be great.

And while beyond Carp our starters might not be exciting (actually, I'm excited to see the emergence of Reyes and Wainwright, the re-emergence of Kip Wells, and possibly a new emergence of Braden Looper), I think they'll be solid. 6-7 innings most games with ERAs around or below 4.

As for Juan, he just gets generalized by too many people. He runs fluidly, so people don't think he's trying. He strikes up and pops up in some situations. But ultimately, look at his production... And while he needs to work on digging balls out of the corners, his defense (in-terms of range) is pretty good.

I dunno.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand...

No real problem with the patch. The Marlins, White Sox and now Cardinals have done it, right? So I think that's pretty much locked in now. Would I buy one... even if the Cubs pulled a miracle someday? No. But plenty of people will, so MLB will keep doing it.

A logo on the cap would be too much, as it already is on the World Series caps.

Now, the only team not to wear a patch since 2003 was the Red Sox, and they wore the gold. The Cardinals doing both of these 'celebrations' is a bit of overkill, even though it will look fine on their jerseys. Most people probably wouldn't notice if it was there all year. The gold would look out of place on a lot of other jerseys, so I hope that this is not an MLB mandate... and even if it is, as we've seen with the Angels BP caps, teams can say no fairly easily to these MLB marketing pushes.

And in no way does it seem classless or whatever to me. I just wouldn't fall for it and hand over more money for it. If people don't buy it, I'd think they'd go away.

Yes, yes they were.

I personally don't think it was classless for Canada to do it, so long as it was removed as soon as one team lost the medal.

Again, for the Cardinals, while I don't think it's classless, I'd be very frustrated to see a gold outline all year.

Both. If the Cardinals want to sport a WS Champions patch and gold outlined uniforms for one game, I'm all for it. If they do it all season then I think it's classless. Wearing something that symbolizes your the reigning champ all they up until you're no longer champ works in boxing and wrestling, but it always seemed like a sign of arrogance to me in team sports.

As for Canada, the same reasoning applies. Also, lets face it, if the American team won a gold medal and then added a gold outline we here in the Great White North would call arrogance.

Besides that though, I just think it looks tacky, especially on the red and black sweaters where it stood out like a sure thumb. Then again I think all of our national teams should be red and white, no other colours needed.

Yes, yes they were.

Both. If the Cardinals want to sport a WS Champions patch and gold outlined uniforms for one game, I'm all for it. If they do it all season then I think it's classless. Wearing something that symbolizes your the reigning champ all they up until you're no longer champ works in boxing and wrestling, but it always seemed like a sign of arrogance to me in team sports.

As for Canada, the same reasoning applies. Also, lets face it, if the American team won a gold medal and then added a gold outline we here in the Great White North would call arrogance.

Besides that though, I just think it looks tacky, especially on the red and black sweaters where it stood out like a sure thumb. Then again I think all of our national teams should be red and white, no other colours needed.

Well, design is a whole 'nother issue. And, you're probably right that if we did it, a great deal of Canadians would call it arrogance.

But I'd disagree. And I disagree that it's arrogance that you guys did it when you did.

But, it's just differing opinions I suppose. I think you should be able to celebrate your championships.

And, I find it especially fine since these patch logos usually have the year of the championship on it.

It's not that the Cardinals are just saying "we are the current World Champions". They're just saying "we're proud to have been the 2006 World Champions".

Oh well. I'm not convinced the patch isn't just going to be worn for that first game (or pregame ring ceremony) with the gold outlined numbers. That's not what the blurb from the article implies, but I still wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

went down to busch after church this morning, and they're selling blank jerseys with the world series champion patch. no gold at all. don't know where the red sox put the gold, but i'm guessing it was the piping. no piping in stl since the 50's, not counting the pullover. wish they wouldn't have a patch, besides the opener. would be satisfied if the change of there uniform cosisted that they have to wear their socks like anthony reyes.

Here's the final final word on this, from a friend who works for the Cardinals:

1) The WS patch (sans gold) will be on the home jerseys ALL SEASON.

2) The gold outlines around the patch, Birds On Bat, name and numbers will be for Opening Day only (pre-game and game). NOTE: The Red Sox wore the gold trim all game too; not just pre-game.

3) The Cardinals will also wear a special cap for Opening Day, on New Era's new Perfomance 59Fifty (on sale now):

pMLB2-3629569dt.jpg

4) Rumor has it that the Opening Day game-worn jerseys will be put up for auction to support Cardinals Care.

If #4 is true, then I could care less if this is primarily a merchandising move. Cardinals Care would make a small fortune with this.

Cards.png

Marlinfan, get a skin, you minge. I wasn't being malicious. Now I am, of course, but come on. Then again, your team can't draw dick because it's toooooo weeeeeeeet and it's tooooooo hoooooooooot, so there are no alarms and no surprises here, are there.

I could give a :censored: about attendance, that's not my problem, that's the Marlins' marketing department problem. I'm sure most fans in cities like Chicago, Cleveland, San Francisco, Boston, etc. would trade 4 hundred-whatever consecutive sellouts, 100.9% attendance, 3 million attendance for two championships in the last 10 years.

No, no he wouldn't. Cubs fans are a very strange element. They have nothing, literaly nothing. They are fans of the biggest joke and embarassment in the history of professional sports. They will be celebrating a century of futility next year (which I am sure they will wear patches for). They have certain buzz terms and catch phrases, provided to them by the Chicago Tribune (owners of the Cubs) which they ritually recite at the first sign of a baseball debate. The biggest is attendance.

The Trib tells them on a daily basis "you are good fans, you come out to game even when the team is 30 games under .500". And that is all they have. They beat their chests about attendance as if it is something to take pride in. These "diehards" were nowhere to be seen until 1984. In fact, they used to often close the upperdeck of Wrigley because they sold so few tickets. But to listen to Cubs fans, the park has been sold out since 1940. Year after year the Cubs watch their rivals raise World Series banners, while they raise "attendance champion" banners at Wrigley.

Truth be told, attendance is pretty irrelevant. If theams win, fans come out. If teams lose, fans don't come out. The Cubs are the only exception to that in sports. Attendance is a non-issue in Cleveland, Oakland, or any city with two teams. In Chicago, it was made an issue with which the Tribune said "ignore the perennial playoff contender on the other side of town, we have better fans". So next time you get into a debate with a Cubs fan, don't repond, just have pity on him. He is like the homeless man insulting you because you are wearing an ugly neck tie. Just smile, pat him on the head, and remember that no video exist of his team winning a world series. If you want a rational baseball discussion, look elsewhere.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1. I believe the plan was for the Red Sox to wear them the first game, but they didn't... just pregame.

2. If the gold-trimmed jerseys are auctioned for charity, that makes it tolerable.

3. Old Roman, not all Cubs fans scream attendance. I could care less about attendance. I know where you're coming from, but there are people who know baseball who root for the Cubs. Also, the best thing that could happen to the Cubs might be 2003, because at least there's a bit more unrest, even a good chunk of no-shows at the end of 2006. Too bad those seats were all paid for, or it might have a better impact. Add to that the Marlins going on to win after the collapse, then watching the supposedly also "cursed" Red Sox, the crosstown rival White Sox, and classic rival Cardinals end their respective droughts of various lengths, well... maybe the execs will actually be serious now. We'll see.

4. I wish the comment I made earlier about WS champs patches on caps hadn't come true so fast. I really hate the patches on the caps.

Marlinfan, get a skin, you minge. I wasn't being malicious. Now I am, of course, but come on. Then again, your team can't draw dick because it's toooooo weeeeeeeet and it's tooooooo hoooooooooot, so there are no alarms and no surprises here, are there.

I could give a :censored: about attendance, that's not my problem, that's the Marlins' marketing department problem. I'm sure most fans in cities like Chicago, Cleveland, San Francisco, Boston, etc. would trade 4 hundred-whatever consecutive sellouts, 100.9% attendance, 3 million attendance for two championships in the last 10 years.

No, no he wouldn't. Cubs fans are a very strange element. They have nothing, literaly nothing. They are fans of the biggest joke and embarassment in the history of professional sports. They will be celebrating a century of futility next year (which I am sure they will wear patches for). They have certain buzz terms and catch phrases, provided to them by the Chicago Tribune (owners of the Cubs) which they ritually recite at the first sign of a baseball debate. The biggest is attendance.

The Trib tells them on a daily basis "you are good fans, you come out to game even when the team is 30 games under .500". And that is all they have. They beat their chests about attendance as if it is something to take pride in. These "diehards" were nowhere to be seen until 1984. In fact, they used to often close the upperdeck of Wrigley because they sold so few tickets. But to listen to Cubs fans, the park has been sold out since 1940. Year after year the Cubs watch their rivals raise World Series banners, while they raise "attendance champion" banners at Wrigley.

Truth be told, attendance is pretty irrelevant. If theams win, fans come out. If teams lose, fans don't come out. The Cubs are the only exception to that in sports. Attendance is a non-issue in Cleveland, Oakland, or any city with two teams. In Chicago, it was made an issue with which the Tribune said "ignore the perennial playoff contender on the other side of town, we have better fans". So next time you get into a debate with a Cubs fan, don't repond, just have pity on him. He is like the homeless man insulting you because you are wearing an ugly neck tie. Just smile, pat him on the head, and remember that no video exist of his team winning a world series. If you want a rational baseball discussion, look elsewhere.

Didn't know he was a Cubs fan. Explains a lot.

1997 | 2003

Since most baseball jerseys have two blank sleeves, the presence of a patch livens things up, and provides an easy marker for those teams that don't year tag (ie, you know an Orioles jersey with a 50th anniversary patch is from 2004, despite the lack of year tagging).

The Cardinals won the WS, and deserve to celebrate it. Just wish they were putting the patch on the road jerseys, as well.

STILL believe they should have home (red) and road (blue) alternate jerseys, but that's another story! :D

Quick question - before we engage any further in the whole arrogance argument, does anyone know who actually decided that the Cards were going to wear this patch all year? Could it possibly be that this is a new "tradition" that MLB is implementing? Perhaps the Cardinals had nothing to do with this decision and they're merely carrying out a directive that came from the office of the commissioner.

In the event that is is not the case, I will say that I'm not crazy about wearing the patch all year. If it's only going to be on the home uniforms then it seems like a bit of overkill seeing as how I'm sure there will be a championship emblem on the outfield wall (not to mention the championship flag which will fly in the stadium and the championship flag that will be hoisted in the Plaza of Champions).

Archived