Theisman gone from "MNF"

sacker12

Well Jaws is better than Theissman. However they still have 2 problems in the both. Kornheiser, who isn't funny and doesn't say anything insightful, needs to be dropped for Dick Vermeil. Tirico needs to bee dropped because he is just a horrible play by play guy. Although he can be tolerated.

They need to go with the group who did the "secondary" Monday night game last season. It was Vermeil, Jaworski and I can't remember the play-by-play person. Their one night thrown together game was better than anything the "A" team did all season.

If he sticks around Theismann will end up on NFL live and Monday Night Countdown. I could see him bolting for CBS or NBC.

BB52Big.jpg

I believe that you are referring to Brad Nessler. I've been accustomed to him doing college games, but he did a great job on that game. As much as I like Tirico, he is a better college play-by-play announcer than he is a pro one.

Every sport has an annoying "know it all" color commentator. The NBA is Bill Walton and the NFL is Joe Theismann.

I like Jaws and his opinions. Its not a huge upgrade but an upgrade none the less. but I agree Tirico and Kornhieser need to go. Put Chris Berman and Dick Vermil in there. Add Jaws if yo want to have 3 in the both

Put Chris Berman

NO. I can barely stand him during SC. Imagine hearing him for 3 hours???

Anyways, I think this was a downgrade. I saw the headline and I was like "YAY!" when I heard Theismann was gon. But I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when I heard it was Jaws. Of all the people I can't stand to hear on ESPN, Jaws is up there.

Every sport has an annoying "know it all" color commentator. The NBA is Bill Walton and the NFL is Joe Theismann.

I like Jaws and his opinions. Its not a huge upgrade but an upgrade none the less. but I agree Tirico and Kornhieser need to go. Put Chris Berman and Dick Vermil in there. Add Jaws if yo want to have 3 in the both

Berman would worse. He is terrible at play by play. They need to put in a guy who is used to doing play by play not someone who is mostly a studio guy.

Frank Gifford and Don Meredith.

I am dead :censored:ing serious. What's either one of them doing now anyway (and the first one who says "Kathie Lee" gets banned).

.... one of them is doing a flight attendant... ok?

I saw, I came, I left.

Frank Gifford and Don Meredith.

I am dead :censored:ing serious. What's either one of them doing now anyway (and the first one who says "Kathie Lee" gets banned).

Gifford isn't allowed out of his house anymore, and Meredith is bat :censored: crazy. Why wouldn't it work?

Wait, I've got an idea...Dennis Miller!!!!

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

But to be a know-it-all, you need to... well, know it all. Theismann's not even a "know-it-some". He brings nothing to the table during those broadcasts. Jaworski ran circles around him during his one appearance during the "B" game of the MNF doubleheader last year.

MNF would be better off if they stopped trying to force "personalities" into the booth. They got lucky with Cosell, but his act was original, and it really wasn't even an act. He really was that condescending and disdainful of people. All of the pundits they keep cycling through (Miller, Kornheiser) are weak attempts at rekindling the Cosell formula, but they're not genuinely disdainful, and they're more sarcastic than anything. I couldn't give a rat's ass about interviewing Jim Belushi during the game. I watch MNF to see a football game. Give me a "just the facts" play-by-play man (and for the love of God, that does NOT mean Chris Berman... I realize he's as responsible as anyone for making ESPN what it is today, and he's earned the right to squat on whatever program he wants, but his schtick has worn wafer-thin and he's not a good football play-by-play guy) who meshes well with a solid analyst, and add a 3rd (MAYBE) for an off-beat take or funny aside.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

But to be a know-it-all, you need to... well, know it all. Theismann's not even a "know-it-some". He brings nothing to the table during those broadcasts. Jaworski ran circles around him during his one appearance during the "B" game of the MNF doubleheader last year.

MNF would be better off if they stopped trying to force "personalities" into the booth. They got lucky with Cosell, but his act was original, and it really wasn't even an act. He really was that condescending and disdainful of people. All of the pundits they keep cycling through (Miller, Kornheiser) are weak attempts at rekindling the Cosell formula, but they're not genuinely disdainful, and they're more sarcastic than anything. I couldn't give a rat's ass about interviewing Jim Belushi during the game. I watch MNF to see a football game. Give me a "just the facts" play-by-play man (and for the love of God, that does NOT mean Chris Berman... I realize he's as responsible as anyone for making ESPN what it is today, and he's earned the right to squat on whatever program he wants, but his schtick has worn wafer-thin and he's not a good football play-by-play guy) who meshes well with a solid analyst, and add a 3rd (MAYBE) for an off-beat take or funny aside.

Other than the fact that I enjoy Kornheiser, and thus am willing to give him another year, I give you a standing ovation for that response!

It's where I sit.

But to be a know-it-all, you need to... well, know it all. Theismann's not even a "know-it-some".

That seems to be a pretty harsh assessment. That said, I think we can agree he's certainly no Norman Einstein.

But to be a know-it-all, you need to... well, know it all. Theismann's not even a "know-it-some".

That seems to be a pretty harsh assessment. That said, I think we can agree he's certainly no Norman Einstein.

Nice - leave it to Joey T. to make my point for me.

Still, I never understood what his point was - I mean, that guy wrote a couple decent sitcoms, like "All In The Family" and "The Jeffersons", but I don't know if he was a genius or anything...

[Yale, when shall we start counting?] :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

There were serious chemistry issues between Theismann and Kornheiser. The two never seemed compatible in the booth, too uncomfortable with one another to jibe one another in an entertaining way, but not friendly enough to compliment each other's comments.

Kornheiser went out of his way to say "how nice" Theismann is and how much they enjoy each other's company the other day on PTI. It came across as VERY hollow, and I really believe the two did not get along that well. Certainly Theismann got very annoyed at times at some of the inane things Tony would say.

I am a little shocked they picked Tony over Joe. I think they really believe Tony has what it takes to add a comedic element to the booth. He panders a lot to the general audience too, talking a lot about American Idol, and cheerleaders and stuff.

I like Tony's act on PTI, I like it a lot, especially when its mixed with Wilbon. The two have great chemistry and play off one another really well. In the booth, I don't think Tony works. He fumbles for analysis, asks a lot of dumb questions and just seems like a fan that "graduated" to the booth, and doesn't really know what to do or say.

I guess ESPN figured Theismann was easier to replace. Jaworski is pretty tight in the booth, he gets along with Tony really well, and provides a similar level of analysis. Plus Jaworski is an ESPN employee already, is readily available to Bristol when they need him.

This is a better mix I think, but I am still not sure Tony works. I could see Tony being bumped off at the end of the 07 season.

Archived