Athlete you've met

zoneranger

Well once I did meet Micheal King of the Milwaukee Wave (if your from here you'll know what im talking about). I actually meet him at a wedding reseption about 4 years ago. My dads friend was getting married and he was the Milwaukee Wave announcer for a while and i guess him and King where friends. It was pretty interesting talking to Micheal outside of a sports environment I mean out of all places a wedding isn't where I was expecting to meet him. Hes a cool guy though and has an awsome accent :) .

from here, know what you speak of.

anyways, i'd figure the only athletes i 'met,' per se, i played or went to high school with, the only guy i figure most of ya have heard of somewhat being former Cincinnati point Taron Barker, who led us to a state championship about 5 years ago. My cousins know Caron Butler, but i don't so he doesn't count unfortunately. only other guy i know who i figure you'll hear of by June is Jason Jaramillo, Oklahoma State's catcher.

edit: as far as getting autographs, though, i got leroy butler's autograph, a couple years ago he made an appearance at the hospital my aunt works at.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB - I've met Lou Brock, run into Ozzie Smith at the supermarket and Mark McGwire at Starbucks.

NHL - I see Keith Tkachuk every now and then at a restaurant we apparently both frequent for breakfast, Pavol Demitra once gave my wife and me his shopping cart at Sam's Club, and I had a chance to meet and talk with my childhood NHL hero Garry Unger when he was a coach for the Tulsa Oilers.

NFL - I met Aeneas Williams on Michigan Ave. in Chicago a couple of years ago and then have seen him a couple of times driving around in St. Louis; I have met Hall of Fame tight end Jackie Smith on a few occasions and I also knew Buck Buchanan briefly just prior to his death - I helped him write his HOF acceptance speech.

NBA - I once gave Doug Smith and Anthony Peeler a ride home from a charity event my fraternity was holding (this was in college).  I had a convertible and had to take the top down in order for Doug to ride comfortably.  Hey, it was a LeBaron.

i met george foster at a toledo mud hens game...very intimidating looking, but very nice guy.

reggie jackson had dinner at the table next to where my wife and i were eating at the rattlesnake club in detroit last july....she couldn't understand why i couldn't approach him, but the whole dinner was spent with me say "mr. freaking october"..."baby, we're sitting right next to the straw that stirs the drink"....it was one of the few times i was truly awestruck.

i sold shoes to barry sanders in 1991 at lakeside mall in sterling heights, MI.

aaron ward was a ringer in a summer league game against my team at the Detroit Skating Club, which really sucked because my team wore avs unis...i blocked one of his shots and it felt like i got shot by a cannon....it cracked my shinpads. we were winning 4-0 with about 5 minutes to go in the 3rd and ward scored 5 goals on 5 shots, the last with about 30 seconds to play.....sonofabitch. (on a side note, when ward was still on the wings, WDFN, the local sports radio station would play a clip "whatever he hits, he destroys" whenever wards name was mentioned...i loved that.)

many, many detroit tigers from 1994-1998 when i worked there part time as security....the coolest of which was todd jones, who always responded when i called him 'rollercoaster'. best. job. ever.

my past job at Nike afforded me the chance to meet various

folks, here's a quick snapshot. Tiger Woods, Picabo Street,

Rick Nueheisel, most of Team Canada from World Cup '96

like Gretz, Mess, Brodeur, Fleury, Foote etc.. I got really drunk

with Marc Crawford, Jim Kelly and other Bills and Sabres from

living in Buffalo, ex-Sabre Larry Playfair (got to sit in the suite with him and talk shop, that was cool.) , Trevor Hoffman, my father-in law golfs with HOF'er Ted Hendricks and is friends

with Butkus. I've also recently talked with Ed Norton, the actor at Starbucks.

great story about World Cup training camp in '96. We were up in Whistler and part of my job was make sure the guys and staff had all the free stuff they wanted. So at one point I'm in

a locker room handing out new cross trainers to the coaches

and it dawns on me that were 7 Stanley Cups between them.

It was awe inspiring.

• 9 months later...

Reviving this one from the depths of the CCSLC Archives (pssst, Chris, you might want to call ICS about the cobwebs down there) . . . .

Yesterday afternoon I was picking up my daughter from pre-school and as we were leaving I had the opportunity to hold the door for and say hi to Torry Holt. Now, for those of you not in MLF, you have to understand that Torry Holt is one of my starting WR's on the St. Louis Aeros. So here's a golden opportunity to make some sort of a kind remark about this in passing (no pun intended) but alas I decide not to do so. Instead, I just let it go with a "Hi Torry, how ya doin'"

NFL: Former viking (1970s) RB Chuck Forman at a MPLS restaurant. When the Super Bowl was in Minnesota, I went to the NFL experience and got to chat briefly with Barry Sanders.

NHL: -

NBA: -

MLB: Brief encounters with Paul Molitor. My uncle kinda knows him.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Greg Biekert, when he played for the Raiders. His parents lived across the street from my, at the time, best friend, because he's originally from Colorado. I'd see him a bunch during the offseason and if I remember correctly, watched a CU/Nebraska game with him.

Yesterday afternoon I was picking up my daughter from pre-school and as we were leaving I had the opportunity to hold the door for and say hi to Torry Holt. Now, for those of you not in MLF, you have to understand that Torry Holt is one of my starting WR's on the St. Louis Aeros. So here's a golden opportunity to make some sort of a kind remark about this in passing (no pun intended) but alas I decide not to do so. Instead, I just let it go with a "Hi Torry, how ya doin'"

And good call. I'm sure he gets fantasy football comments like "Great game last week, ya really helped me win in fantasy football this week!" all the time.

IUe6Hvh.png

JOE MAGRAINE!! Former Cardinals/White Sox pitcher.

Brian Cardinal went to my HS, my little hs in the middle of no where.

Paul Molitor at a signing.

That's about it. A few Illinois baseball/football players. I think Robert Holcome who now plays for the Titans was one of them.

So, I'm still waiting for my brushes with greatness.

All of my are local guys

John Mackey

Jay Gibbons

Pat Hentgen

Rick Dempsey

Elrod Hendricks

Kyle Boller (didnt met him but got an autograph during training camp)

Gary Baxter

Marcus Robinson

I will also hopefully see Mark Teixeria and Gavin Floyd. This card show I work at each month is trying to get them to sign autographs. Another guy I know went to school with Mark's cousins and know Mark a little bit.

NFL: Louis Williams (used to play for Carolina), he went to my school and came back to talk about his experience of going to the Super Bowl

NBA:

MLB:

Arena Football: Louis Williams (again) plays for Tampa

NHL: Evgeny Konstantinov (all of 58 seconds for the Lightning), Greg Pankewicz (21 games with Ottawa and Calgary; I met both while with Pensacola of the ECHL

NCAA: D.J. Hall (WR, Alabama) he was a senior at CHS last year, great guy.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I've met a bunch but mostly a games or events.

The only one I've met outside of a game or event is John Elway back in 1992 when he was on the Denver Huddle at Jackson's Hole. I only met him for a short time then he left but my mother wrote a letter (don't ask me why) to him because some jerk said he'd sell Elway's autograph to us for $5 and it was on a piece of basic paper.

Well six month later we got an envelope that was marked "dead mail" because it had no postage or a return address. Inside were three autographed John Elway football cards, one for myself and each of my brothers. Since then I still have mine, and it's still in perfect condition.

Archived