NFL to have 17 games?

kewp80

i think itd be kinda cool to have some games internationally, especially if its halfway regional, such as

cards vs. chargers in mexico

new england vs new york in england

buffalo vs. lions in toronto, ca

49ers vs. raiders in japan

seahawks vs. vikings in vancouver, ca

This might actually be a good idea. I also like the fact that they'll be doing things regionally. They could play 4 games in Germany (2 in Berlin and 2 in Munich), 4 games in Britain (2 in London proper, 2 in Wales at Millennium Stadium), 4 in Canada (2 in Toronto, 2 in Vancouver), and 4 in Latin America (2 in Mexico City, 2 somewhere else, maybe Guadalajara?)

I'd have no beef if the NFL used preseasons games to do something like this. But no way should it be a game that actually counts. The only other country where American Football has caught on is Germany. Attendance would sink like a rock everywhere else once the novelty wore off and we'd end up with games that have playoff implications being played in front of 20,000 people.

I might be in favor of a 17th game at a neutral site in North America. For example, a Bears-Colts game at Notre Dame or a Cowboys-Texans game in San Antonio.

Also, how would a 17th game work... does every team then play all intraconference teams that finished the same as them the previous year? Or maybe each team designated an annual inerconference rival?

How about expand the regular season to 18 games, chop off two of these exhibitions, and have two games at neutral sites? They could be international games, or just areas where the NFL doesn't have a franchise (LA?)

That sounds good, but eventually the teams will want the home gate and they will be 9 home games.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Also, how would a 17th game work... does every team then play all intraconference teams that finished the same as them the previous year? Or maybe each team designated an annual inerconference rival?

This would make the most sense. I think the NFL would love to have a meaningful rivalry game between such teams as Giants-Jets, Eagles-Steelers, 49ers-Raiders, and other cross-city/state/region games each season.

This would make the most sense. I think the NFL would love to have a meaningful rivalry game between such teams as Giants-Jets, Eagles-Steelers, 49ers-Raiders, and other cross-city/state/region games each season.

I would like that, I think its unfortunate the Jets and Giants only play every four years

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

IIRC, the NFL wanted to institute something to that effect when league expanded to 32 teams but decided against it because of the teams that don't have that natural rival like Seattle, Buffalo, or Carolina.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Not a big fan of this. Do we really need another game, especially one where the majority of the fans will have no idea who is playing? Plus there will be one more chance for players to get hurt.

I thought a little bit on the 17th game being an Interconference Rival. It's great for some teams, less so for others. I found that the NFC North was the hardest to create rivals for, since the whole division is steeped in their own rivalries, and geographically speaking, there's few teams THAT close to them. So, here's my best shot at the NFL Interconference Rivalry Weekend. Some are obvious connections. Some less obvious, some downright stretches.

Tampa Bay v. Miami --3 FL teams, but...

Carolina v. Jacksonville --Jax has the natural expansion counterpart thing going w/ Carolina

Atlanta v. Tennessee --Distance. Also, UGA/UT angle.

New Orleans v. Indianapolis --Distance. Kind of an awkward fit.

San Francisco v. Oakland --Natural. Battle of the Bay

St. Louis v. Kansas City --Natural. Battle for Missouri

Seattle v. San Diego --Awkward fit. It's the MLB rivalry.

Arizona v. Denver --Distance

Dallas v. Houston --Texas, obviously.

Washington v. Baltimore --Natural.

New York Giants v. New York Jets --Natural

Philadelphia v. Pittsburgh --Natural.

Detroit v. Cincinnati --A bit awkward. Battle of the Big Cats? A little Michigan/Ohio St. action, too.

Minnesota v. Buffalo --Awkward. Cold climate teams. Basically, leftovers.

Green Bay v. Cleveland --Arguably the two most tradition steeped teams in the game. Hard nosed fans.

Chicago v. New England --Battle for Irish pride.

So, there it is. Seems to be the best case scenario for all teams. Any suggestions, changes, backlash, hatred?

How about expand the regular season to 18 games, chop off two of these exhibitions, and have two games at neutral sites? They could be international games, or just areas where the NFL doesn't have a franchise (LA?)

That sounds good, but eventually the teams will want the home gate and they will be 9 home games.

I think the principles of mathematics prohibit 9 home games and 8 road games for every team.

NFL Interconference Rivalry Weekend. Some are obvious connections. Some less obvious, some downright stretches.

MLB has a lot of forced rivalries for inter-league play and it is pretty much a joke. Red Sox vs. Braves? What kind of "rivalry" is that? The Braves left town more than 50 years ago. While there are still a handful of Braves fans in Boston, I think they'd rather see the Braves beat up on the Mets than the Sox.

I thought a little bit on the 17th game being an Interconference Rival. It's great for some teams, less so for others. I found that the NFC North was the hardest to create rivals for, since the whole division is steeped in their own rivalries, and geographically speaking, there's few teams THAT close to them. So, here's my best shot at the NFL Interconference Rivalry Weekend. Some are obvious connections. Some less obvious, some downright stretches.

Tampa Bay v. Miami --3 FL teams, but...

Carolina v. Jacksonville --Jax has the natural expansion counterpart thing going w/ Carolina

Atlanta v. Tennessee --Distance. Also, UGA/UT angle.

New Orleans v. Indianapolis --Distance. Kind of an awkward fit.

San Francisco v. Oakland --Natural. Battle of the Bay

St. Louis v. Kansas City --Natural. Battle for Missouri

Seattle v. San Diego --Awkward fit. It's the MLB rivalry.

Arizona v. Denver --Distance

Dallas v. Houston --Texas, obviously.

Washington v. Baltimore --Natural.

New York Giants v. New York Jets --Natural

Philadelphia v. Pittsburgh --Natural.

Detroit v. Cincinnati --A bit awkward. Battle of the Big Cats? A little Michigan/Ohio St. action, too.

Minnesota v. Buffalo --Awkward. Cold climate teams. Basically, leftovers.

Green Bay v. Cleveland --Arguably the two most tradition steeped teams in the game. Hard nosed fans.

Chicago v. New England --Battle for Irish pride.

So, there it is. Seems to be the best case scenario for all teams. Any suggestions, changes, backlash, hatred?

Well, Vikes-Bills could be the "0 for 4" Battle :P

espnsig.gif

I think the principles of mathematics prohibit 9 home games and 8 road games for every team.

Lesson to the kiddies... before you act like a smart ass, check to make sure you know what you're talking about.

18 = 9 + 9

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Actually Tank the deal worked out during the 2001 realignment (and yes, before anyone tries to correct me, it didn't take effect until 2002 but it was agreed upon in 2001) also spelled out new, rather generous terms for visiting teams in terms of gate split, and presuming that a neutral site/international game's gate would be split 50/50, I'd think it'd work out pretty close anyway.

nav-logo.png

4 in Latin America (2 in Mexico City, 2 somewhere else, maybe Guadalajara?)

Buenos Aires?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived