NHL Off-Season 2007

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ducks declining is pretty much expected. They have other players they value more coming up in a year or two that they'll have to pay highly to retain. Lowe better hope that Penner wasn't a one year-wonder.

And the sad thing for Edmonton is, even with Penner, they're still really thin on talent up front.

I do think that Horcoff will have a really good year considering he'll probably be the new captain, or at least I think he should be...

If I were Kevin Lowe I would completely re-vamp my roster so many teams are in need of big, agressive players and I think the oilers have plenty of guys like that, and they could easily be traded for some young taleted players...

Hi, how are you?

The Ducks declining is pretty much expected. They have other players they value more coming up in a year or two that they'll have to pay highly to retain. Lowe better hope that Penner wasn't a one year-wonder.

And the sad thing for Edmonton is, even with Penner, they're still really thin on talent up front.

Penner was obviously wayyyy overpaid. His salary next year is 10X higher than last year...and he was playing with Perry/Getzlaf among others, and that's why he was so successful. You think he's going to do that well in Edmonton? Doubt it. Next Anson Carter here we come!

this reminds me of the :censored: gms would do in some of the leagues ive been in. we had a wild gm during every off season would sign some over rated mid level RFA to offer sheets and teams would decline to match the salary and give up the player. Quite a few of the draft picks turned in to corner pieces to some franchises, namely the Rangers and Devils who single handedly won the cups because of those players that were drafted with the Wild picks. He would do this year and year out. until he drove the wild franchise into the ground. the commish had to fire the gm on the basis that he was ruining the franchise on purpose. Thankfully we hired a gm that knew what he was doing and turned the team aorund really in a year. one league outlawed RFA offer sheets and another had to have a trade board approval on rfa sheet offers.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

When you think about it though. If Lowe offered penner a good contract in which he didn't grossly overpay...the ducks would have just kept penner anyway. I think that Lowe just did that to garentee that he got the player. In the sabres cause I would have taken the picks and used them in other trades to get other players or I would have signed some more free agents with the cap space I would gain. I know its not that easy but if I was a GM I am pretty sure I would take whatever I can get. I wouldn't care if all I could get was JR and sean avery I would still take them. In the oilers and the sabres cases...IMO I think they are being to picky...but then agian what do I know, I am just a fan.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

When you think about it though. If Lowe offered penner a good contract in which he didn't grossly overpay...the ducks would have just kept penner anyway.
The Ducks couldn't sign Penner. They only have $3M left in cap space. The only way Burke was going to sign Penner at $4.25M was if he managed to trade away another player or two (which he apparently tried, but found nobody willing to take his offers). Burke did give him a qualifying offer at the end of June, which was worth $3M apparently, but Penner turned it down. That was before he acquired Schneider and Bertuzzi. Mind you if Scott Niedermayer does retire, that's an extra $6.75M Burke could have used to keep Penner, but Lowe called his bluff.
I think that Lowe just did that to garentee that he got the player. In the sabres cause I would have taken the picks and used them in other trades to get other players or I would have signed some more free agents with the cap space I would gain. I know its not that easy but if I was a GM I am pretty sure I would take whatever I can get. I wouldn't care if all I could get was JR and sean avery I would still take them. In the oilers and the sabres cases...IMO I think they are being to picky...but then agian what do I know, I am just a fan.
A GM never wants to "take what he can get". In most cases, that "whetever you can get" are players who nobody wants for good reasons.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Penner was obviously wayyyy overpaid. His salary next year is 10X higher than last year...and he was playing with Perry/Getzlaf among others, and that's why he was so successful. You think he's going to do that well in Edmonton? Doubt it. Next Anson Carter here we come!

Locking in a player like Penner for that much money, for that many years, is playing the averages; if Penner continues to improve, then yes, this year he will liekyl seem overpaid. But in say, 3 years, if he turns into a 40 goal, 90 point player, if he's making 4+ million a season, then he'll be a bargain, and will continue to be for the duration of the contract.

You're definitely playing the percentages, and it's always a risk. I'm not defending Lowe by any stretch, I think he's desperate to keep his job, but in "Today's NHL©", that's part of the gameplan.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

When you think about it though. If Lowe offered penner a good contract in which he didn't grossly overpay...the ducks would have just kept penner anyway.
The Ducks couldn't sign Penner. They only have $3M left in cap space. The only way Burke was going to sign Penner at $4.25M was if he managed to trade away another player or two (which he apparently tried, but found nobody willing to take his offers). Burke did give him a qualifying offer at the end of June, which was worth $3M apparently, but Penner turned it down. That was before he acquired Schneider and Bertuzzi. Mind you if Scott Niedermayer does retire, that's an extra $6.75M Burke could have used to keep Penner, but Lowe called his bluff.
I think that Lowe just did that to garentee that he got the player. In the sabres cause I would have taken the picks and used them in other trades to get other players or I would have signed some more free agents with the cap space I would gain. I know its not that easy but if I was a GM I am pretty sure I would take whatever I can get. I wouldn't care if all I could get was JR and sean avery I would still take them. In the oilers and the sabres cases...IMO I think they are being to picky...but then agian what do I know, I am just a fan.
A GM never wants to "take what he can get". In most cases, that "whetever you can get" are players who nobody wants for good reasons.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

It really seems like its the inexplicable Bertuzzi contract that put the Ducks in this situation. I have to wonder if anyone else would have offered Bert even a fraction of what the Ducks did. Four Million a year for a 32 year old power forward with chronic injury problems, non-existent effort in his own zone, ongoing legal problems with the Steve Moore situation, and four years removed from his best years was a crazy amount of money.

I just can't fathom it. Its like Burke didn't notice that the last time he gave Bertuzzi a big contract (with the Canucks), his effort the next year was mediocre, as was his offensive output.

Archived