"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

I'd hate to be that guy who agrees with ESPN, but I have to do it...

USC lost to Stanford. At home. They don't need to be anywhere near any National Championship consideration. That loss knocked them out of it completely.

That being said, my rankings:

1. Nat'l Champion

2. Georgia (They've moved up steadily)

3. Loser to Nat'l Champion

4. WVU

5. Missouri

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My rankings if I were an AP voter:

1. USC

2. Winner of the BCS championship game

3. Georgia

4. West Virginia

5. Loser of the BCS championship game

My reasoning: I just think USC is the best team at the end of the season.

that's why you lack a vote. It's body of work, not, "what have you done for me lately?" sprinkled in with a touch of media hype

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

Motivation was definately a factor it just seems like it should be on the players to get motivated for this type of bowl game. If you can't get yourself pumped up for a BCS bowl, then thats a problem.

Is that such a big surprise when there are 40+ bowls and you were in contention for the national championship game only to find yourself in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl...again?

One word...."yarr".

----------------------------------

I talked to an Oklahoma fan after the Tech loss, and he said that this particular edition of the Sooners really struggled away from Norman. I'm not exactly sure he would have been surprised by the result of the Fiesta Bowl.

Oh...and Fox's coverage sucks. That is all.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Trinity won that Pontiac Game Changing Performance. ITS RIGGED I TELL YA! just kidding, congrats to them, and quintupling their budget.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Trinity won that Pontiac Game Changing Performance. ITS RIGGED I TELL YA! just kidding, congrats to them, and quintupling their budget.

I'm pi$$ed about that....

It's getting mighty hard for DePauw athletics to compete.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

double post

Today, we are all otaku.

Just for laughs....

Oklahoma Ohio State needs to stay away from the Fiesta Bowl BCS Championship Game. Nothing but bad things there.

Oklahoma Ohio State needs to stay out of the BCS. That's four two straight BCS losses. Could it be that the Big XII Ten is...gasp...overrated? Which leads me to this...

Perception is a funny thing. With last night's pounding by West Virginia LSU, Oklahoma Ohio State has now lost four straight BCS bowls games including [//s] back to back losses in the BCS title game (let's not forget a 55-19 drubbing by USC) yet a lot of people were saying the 21-loss Sooners Buckeyes were more deserving of a shot at the BCS title game than Ohio State USC is this year.

Ohio State on the other hand has won 3 of their last 4 in BCS Bowl games but one bad loss has turned them into a punchline. Since this lack of respect for the Buckeyes seems to be based on past performance, I am wondering what it is about Oklahoma that makes them so much more deserving than Ohio State?

Just curious.

I saw, I came, I left.

Just for laughs....
Oklahoma Ohio State needs to stay away from the Fiesta Bowl BCS Championship Game. Nothing but bad things there.

Oklahoma Ohio State needs to stay out of the BCS. That's four two straight BCS losses. Could it be that the Big XII Ten is...gasp...overrated? Which leads me to this...

Perception is a funny thing. With last night's pounding by West Virginia LSU, Oklahoma Ohio State has now lost four straight BCS bowls games including [//s] back to back losses in the BCS title game (let's not forget a 55-19 drubbing by USC) yet a lot of people were saying the 21-loss Sooners Buckeyes were more deserving of a shot at the BCS title game than Ohio State USC is this year.

Ohio State on the other hand has won 3 of their last 4 in BCS Bowl games but one bad loss has turned them into a punchline. Since this lack of respect for the Buckeyes seems to be based on past performance, I am wondering what it is about Oklahoma that makes them so much more deserving than Ohio State?

Just curious.

Yeah, I already addressed that last night. Go to the BCS thread and have a look. We're a punch line because we officially deserve it. Have your fun. I can handle it.

BB52Big.jpg

Georgia President Wants an 8-Team Playoff.

I have mixed feelings about this. While I firmly believe that the current system is unable to consistently crown a definitive champion, I am unsure if this is any better. My main fear is that non-BCS schools would be shut out somehow, although it's a moot point if they retain some sort of "Boise State Rule."

Regardless of the details, this just seems like Georgia whining that they didn't get a shot at the "national title" because they didn't take care of business during the season.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I have mixed feelings about this. While I firmly believe that the current system is unable to consistently crown a definitive champion, I am unsure if this is any better. My main fear is that non-BCS schools would be shut out somehow, although it's a moot point if they retain some sort of "Boise State Rule."

Regardless of the details, this just seems like Georgia whining that they didn't get a shot at the "national title" because they didn't take care of business during the season.

... oh jeez.... for a moment I thought you were talking about Mikheil Saakashvili. :wacko:

I don't about an 8-team playoff. College football season is long enough as it is already (kids gotta study ya know ^_^) A four-team playoff, specifically for those who won their conferences and regardless of conference, would be fine by me.

I saw, I came, I left.

... oh jeez.... for a moment I thought you were talking about Mikheil Saakashvili. :wacko:

I don't about an 8-team playoff. College football season is long enough as it is already (kids gotta study ya know ^_^) A four-team playoff, specifically for those who won their conferences and regardless of conference, would be fine by me.

Every other division has at least a 16 team playoff, and can study just fine. I'm sure the students at the playoff schools will be able to handle the additional "disruption" of their "academic careers".

Today, we are all otaku.

Every other division has at least a 16 team playoff, and can study just fine. I'm sure the students at the playoff schools will be able to handle the additional "disruption" of their "academic careers".

i only heard about this on the radio today and didn't catch it all, does he want a bcs playoff or an ncaa playoff?

i only heard about this on the radio today and didn't catch it all, does he want a bcs playoff or an ncaa playoff?

He wants an NCAA playoff and I am all for it. His logic was as sound as any I've heard on the subject. The gist was basically that he feels it's time the NCAA took football back from the networks and the BCS.

I think an 8 team playoff can be done and still preserve the "major" bowls.

Here is a re-posting of my plan from the BCS Playoff thread.

8 teams. 4 Bowls. Use the traditional tie-ins instead of seeding or polls. Polls would only play a role in selecting two teams.

Jan. 1

Rose Bowl: Big 10 and Pac-10 winners.

Orange Bowl: Big 12 and ACC

Sugar Bowl: SEC and Big East

Fiesta Bowl: The best of the rest.

Play the semi-finals a week later and the Championship game the following week.

The Semi-Finals and The Championship game can be awarded just like the Super Bowl. Any city that meets the criteria can bid to host the games. Or they can simply rotate them among the bigger bowl sites.

I know those tie-ins aren't exactly right but you keep the traditional ones and either add the ones I have or rotate the Big East and ACC between the Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta. Or The Fiesta hosts what would essentially be at-large bids which would come from either the traditional powers or would include a Hawaii or Boise State that breaks through. So to get in you either have to win your conference or play lights out all season long. It's very similar to the NFL. Division champs are in. Everyone else is playing for two "wild card" slots. That would preserve the regular season.

This system preserves the bowls so the money keeps flowing. The fans don't have to worry about where they're going every year. The Networks like it because they know who they're getting. And it adds a bunch of new revenue streams to the mix with the semi-finals and championship game being up for grabs.

Here's how it would look this year.

Rose: Ohio State-USC

Orange: Oklahoma-Virginia Tech

Sugar: LSU-West Virginia

Fiesta: Pick two from Hawaii, Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, etc. You could even use the BCS model for this game.

It's not perfect but it achieves every goal to my satisfaction and I am was anti-playoff.

Just a thought.

BB52Big.jpg

Michael Adams doesn't have much support of the fanbase of Georgia. He's the same guy that practically ran Vince Dooley out the door, as well as being the main proponent of hiring Jim Harrick. Most of the fans were pretty much over not getting an invite to the BCS National Championship game. Don't confuse this guy for being the mouthpiece of Georgia athletics.

As for a playoff system, the only one that would get consideration is a 4-team playoff involving the bowls. Parity or not, there are never going to be 5 teams that can make legit claims for getting a shot at the national championship. Here is said playoff format:

First, only these bowls will get playoff games: Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. The National Championship Game and semifinal games would be on a rotation basis between these four bowls. The top four teams are eligible, and will be determined by the BCS standings, regardless of conference affiliation.

Year 1: Sugar (NC), Orange and Rose (Semis), Fiesta (Best Available matchup)

Year 2: Orange (NC), Rose and Fiesta (Semis), Sugar (BA matchup)

Year 3: Rose (NC), Fiesta and Sugar (Semis), Orange (BA matchup)

Year 4: Fiesta (NC), Sugar and Orange (Semis), Rose (BA matchup)

For the semifinals, the matchups would be #1 vs. #4, and #2 vs. #3. The top seed will get to select which semifinal site they choose to play in. For competitive equality, these games will be played the same day.

Whichever BCS bowl game that does not have a playoff game will be compensated by getting to select any two teams to play in their bowl game. The site that hosted the NC game the previous season would be left out of the playoffs the next season.

Personally, I still think 4 teams in are too few.

Perhaps I'm influenced by the fact that the top 4 seeds in the I-AA playoffs all were bounced before the championship game (only one of them even made the semis). :blink:

Nobody seems to be disputing Appalachian State's title.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived