Ok State Coach pissed about newspaper article.

HatManTC

Espn.com article.

Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy might have liked to choose his words differently after a postgame press conference got heated Saturday, but the sentiments of his statements remained the same two days later.

On Monday, ESPN's Joe Schad asked Gundy to expand on his stance that college athletes should be spared criticism after a report in The Oklahoman detailed the reasons quarterback Bobby Reid may have lost his starting job.

"Did you see the press conference," Gundy said, before Schad repeated his question. "I'm asking if you saw the press conference?"

More on this story

Read the original column from The Oklahoman that caused Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy's initial reaction. Story

After Schad said "yes," Gundy responded, "That pretty much answered that question, didn't it?"

Asked if his postgame rant, which included no talk of the game, might have overshadowed what his players accomplished in such an important win, Gundy stood by his actions.

Gundy tried to explain himself further to reporters Monday.

"It just happened because of my feelings for the team and the players and I just felt like it wasn't the right thing, so I was the guy that had to say something about it," Gundy said. "But I certainly didn't do it to receive recognition and I certainly don't want it to take away from this upcoming game like it unfortunately took away from the last game for the team."

The Cowboys face Sam Houston State on Saturday.

On Saturday, Gundy was rather animated when addressing the media after a wild 49-45 Cowboys win over Texas Tech.

"Tired of certain people downgrading college athletes who are good people," Gundy said about the newspaper story on Reid. "If you want to comment on his play, comment on his play. But don't comment on something that's outside of his play that is downgrading or belittling to a young man who is trying to do things right and he has to get splashed all over the newspaper in the state of Oklahoma. And on a game day."

Gundy also questioned columnist Jenni Carlson, asking her if she had any children. When she answered that she didn't, the coach said she wouldn't know what it was like to have them publicly ridiculed after a poor showing.

Carlson responded Sunday by telling the paper, "I stand behind my column. Being questioned is part of being a columnist, but I am certain of the facts in this column."

On Sunday, Gundy said he could have handled the situation a little differently.

"If I'd have had to do it again, I would have prepared for it," Gundy told reporters. "I shot from the hip. I would have had a written-out statement and actually covered some things that I probably could have gone into a little more in-depth. But I shot it from the hip. It probably wasn't very well-prepared."

Football Writers Association of America president Mike Griffith issued a statement about the incident.

"I consider Coach Gundy's behavior completely inappropriate. It shows a lack of respect for the media and doesn't speak well for the university and the fans that he represents. Coach Gundy's actions have brought national attention and further scrutiny to the situation that could have been handled in a more private and appropriate matter."

ESPN's Joe Schad and The Associated Press contributed to this report

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Football Writers Association of America president Mike Griffith issued a statement about the incident.

"I consider Coach Gundy's behavior completely inappropriate. It shows a lack of respect for the media and doesn't speak well for the university and the fans that he represents. Coach Gundy's actions have brought national attention and further scrutiny to the situation that could have been handled in a more private and appropriate matter."

:censored: you and your kind, :censored:bag. You inhabit the cesspool of American society. The lot of you are, by and large, so low and such scum that every time I flush the toilet, to you it's as if the Gods themselves have gifted you with a treasure beyond comparison. Respect? Bah, you're lucky Coach Gundy condescended to comment on the fact that you're pet writer barely qualifies as human.

EDIT: Minor spelling gaff.

cttdolphins2.png

Eventually, people involved with running athletic organizations will recognize that if the media didn't show up to broadcast or comment on their games, no one would care about them. They each need each other, and they each need to learn to accept the good with the bad. The Big XII's television contract in part helps pay Mike Gundy's salary. His job wouldn't exist if people weren't able to read about, watch, or know more about his program.

And I'm not so sure he doesn't see his role in all of this. Did he take away the microcosm from his player and put it squarely on himself? Probably. Perhaps he's just crazy like a fox.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I do applaud the coach for trying to defend his player. However, I do wonder if the coach would react the same way if some alumnus with who donates a lot cash to school made the same commentary? ... and don't some of these kids go through some of this scrutiny in high school?

I saw, I came, I left.

:censored: you and your kind, :censored:bag. You inhabit the cesspool of American society. The lot of you are, by and large, so low and such scum that every time I flush the toilet, to you it's as if the Gods themselves have gifted you with a treasure beyond comparison. Respect? Bah, you're lucky Coach Gundy condescended to comment on the fact that you're pet writer barely qualifies as human.

In the realm of ignorant comments, the one made here by "Fyrwulf" rises to the top.

All that happened here is a columnist did her job. It's not to sell papers, but to give readers an analysis of the Oklahoma State quarterback situation from someone reporting from the inside. That's what columnists do. I read the column and for the life of me cannot figure what the hell is so embarrassing about it.

This kid is the quarterback of a major college football program in a state that treats football like a religion. If he and his coach can't handle a little criticism from the press, perhaps they should find themselves a nice anonymous junior college.

For Fyrwulf to classify the columnist as being barely qualifying as human is beyond ignorant -- it's repulsive. And for JQK to refer to her as "another ignorant media vampire" shows ignorance of another kind. It's another case of sports fans not realizing that the media's job isn't to be a cheerleader, but to analyze, comment and report. When they don't like the message, the messengers are apparently "vampires."

Honestly, the entire press conference was appalling. Any coach with class would have known how to handle that situation. If you're that pissed about something in the paper, launching into some juvenile tirade does nothing but bring more attention to it, and makes you look like an ass.

He certainly accomplished that.

Yesterday, I put forth that the coach might have been crazy like a fox. I take it back. Had he not made a fool of himself, the only people that would have known about this story would have been the relatively small Oklahoma State football community. Instead, it's now a national story -- him being an ass, his player doing whatever the player did, and the newspaper looking more and more credible.

Yup, that's a guy I want running my program.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In the realm of ignorant comments, the one made here by "Fyrwulf" rises to the top.

All that happened here is a columnist did her job. It's not to sell papers, but to give readers an analysis of the Oklahoma State quarterback situation from someone reporting from the inside. That's what columnists do. I read the column and for the life of me cannot figure what the hell is so embarrassing about it.

Oh really...Let me ask you...What makes better copy (and sells papers), the truth? Or something that rips on the local football team's athletes? She may be doing her job, but she better not act offended when somebody snaps back at her. I doubt she's a disinterested journalist, though.

This kid is the quarterback of a major college football program in a state that treats football like a religion. If he and his coach can't handle a little criticism from the press, perhaps they should find themselves a nice anonymous junior college.

Why? Everybody's going after him now, and OSU is getting talked about in a year where it looks like the Cross-State rival should be the only team worth talking about.

For Fyrwulf to classify the columnist as being barely qualifying as human is beyond ignorant -- it's repulsive. And for JQK to refer to her as "another ignorant media vampire" shows ignorance of another kind. It's another case of sports fans not realizing that the media's job isn't to be a cheerleader, but to analyze, comment and report. When they don't like the message, the messengers are apparently "vampires."

Again...I'd have more respect for journalists and the media in general, if it didn't seem like they are indeed pushing their own agenda in their reporting nowadays rather than doing honest analysis and reporting. Also, it would help if they lost their libel protection which they've had since the 1960s.

Honestly, the entire press conference was appalling. Any coach with class would have known how to handle that situation. If you're that pissed about something in the paper, launching into some juvenile tirade does nothing but bring more attention to it, and makes you look like an ass.

Nobody really reads letters to the editor (which is what I assume you are suggesting).

JMHO, but the only reason this is getting so much play in the National Media, because OMG! He dared question our objectivity and disinterestedness! Considering how the journalistic media has become progressively MORE self-interested, it doesn't surprise me that they are rushing to crucify Gundy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm happy to see a good discussion running about the role of media, evaluations, and decorum taking place on the board.

But somehow my first reaction was "wow, he sounds a lot like Will Ferrell." Especially the "I'm a man!" part.

That's exactly what I thought. "I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am!"

Badger_zps8961c467.png

All that happened here is a columnist did her job. It's not to sell papers, but to give readers an analysis of the Oklahoma State quarterback situation from someone reporting from the inside.

How does analysis of the quarterback situation, as you put it, have anything to do with calling the kid a heartless chicken :censored:? Yeah, the writer didn't use those exact words, but the meaning's the same.

For Fyrwulf to classify the columnist as being barely qualifying as human is beyond ignorant -- it's repulsive.

I find the fact that you're defending the scumbag yellow journalist to be repulsive. Watch the entire press conference, note that when Gundy leaves the real sports reporters there clap. Watch ESPN and NFL Network coverage of the incident, note that while most of the sports reporters think he probably set the wrong tone, they most certainly agree with Coach Gundy's message. Also note that, to a man, those same commentators say that there wasn't one substantiated fact in that article.

cttdolphins2.png

Huh? I find it hard to believe that anyone would defend Gundy in this situation. We all got jobs to do, the columnist was merely doing hers. Instead of lashing out at her publicly (for a very tame article, mediawise), perhaps he should be taking stock of his poor-to-mediocre record as OSU head coach. Frankly, his outburst was pathetic - which is exactly what I'd expect, given the pathetic coaching and preparation his teams have shown us.

First of all, explain to me how she is in any way misinterpreting facts. She's a columnist. She is paid to analyze. That's exactly what she did in this case. She didn't "rip" this quarterback, she offered analysis into why he was replaced based upon her reporting. Hell, she even made the point of how nice the kid is to her and to other media.

Beyond that, she even asked this coach to outline anything inaccurate in her column. As much as it's her job to write a column, it's also her responsibility to print corrections. The coach declined to say what was inaccurate -- that, to me, says a lot.

Now, I'll grant you that there are columnists in the world who've made a name for themselves for being salacious and over the top. I've worked in this business for more than 10 years and never have I seen anyone -- myself or any blowhard columnist -- get a bonus for contributing to newspaper sales. I know that's probably a shock to armchair news critics, but it's the truth.

Hey, I can see how it's easy to want to pick a villain in the world. When the public doesn't like the nature of the news, why not blame the messenger? It's an easy excuse for lazy people. And it's a nice soapbox to stand upon.

Part of Mike Gundy's point was that the college player should not be ripped by the media. That's BS. If you are highly decorated, and have a press conference in high school just to choose a hat for your athetic future, I think you enter teh vortex of publicity, thus become a public figure. Over a decade ago, Chris Webber got ripped for calling a timeout and had to deal with it. Reid should too. I think that even if the part of his mom feeding him food while he was on teh phone is true, it is petty and did not need to be reported or mentioned in conclusion. (But seriously, how much a a baby is he do allow that to happen to himself in public? I though thte kids from Springdale, AK were pampered!)

The second part of this is that Mike Gundy is under huge pressure to win. Billionaire T. Boone Pickens has pledged a large portion of his estate to OSU athletics. He expects a return and getting embarrassed at Georgia and at Troy does not help one bit. he is trying to rally his players around him, so that even after a disappointing season, the players will say, "Don't fire our coach, he's got our backs".

In fact, he should have lost on Saturday if it was not for a braindead Mike Leach. Tech had the ball, up by 3, with 2:19 left and then ran three pass plays when OSU had one timeout left. What is that? You call a running play, you win the game. You can still fire your D coordinator, but you'd have a victory. Leach's press conference is even better than Gundy's.

Mike Leach is hanging with Bob Knight WAAYYY too much

I'm happy to see a good discussion running about the role of media, evaluations, and decorum taking place on the board.

But somehow my first reaction was "wow, he sounds a lot like Will Ferrell." Especially the "I'm a man!" part.

That's exactly what I thought. "I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am!"

That had me rolling. Everytime I hear that, I start to think, "This would be the signature scene if Will Ferrell did a movie as a college football coach." :D :D :D

That being said...although Gundy could've gone about that in a better way, he's absolutely right. You don't go after kids like that, scholarship or not. Fact is, he's still a kid. I mean, would you want a reporter to come out and call YOUR kid mentally weak in front of the entire state of Oklahoma? Let the professionals, the ones who are paid to do their work, be criticized in that way, not the amateurs who are still kids.

Semi-Hijack.

We've been talking about this non stop on my radio show. If you want to vot for Mike Gundy for Screwball of the Week, go to kcousports.blogspot.com

I'll leave you all in peace now.

ps. it's my new ringtone.

"Where are we at in society today? I'm a man, I'm 40. Write something about me.!"

Archived