Official MLB Playoff Thread

Nick 1733

I don't think the Indians were like: "Holy $&^%" and realized where they were. Simply put, Beckett decided that there was going to be a trip to Boston... PERIOD! Seeing this performace makes me say that the Cy Young Award voting should use Play-Offs as some sort of tiebreaker. I know based on the regular season. I'm just saying that it seems to be an argument regarding CC or Beckett. Well, Beckett deserves it, hands down. Now, if Joe Schmoe on Tampa went 30-1 with a .03 ERA, sure he would deserve it.

It should be interesting to see how things wind up. Carmona is very capable of doing what Beckett did tonight. He may have struggled in Game 2, but he did tie up the Yankees this post season. I'm using that as reference to Sabathia. He has seemed uneasy in all 3 starts. Regardless off CCs start, Beckett game up 1 run. On a double play grounder.

Hmmm... pitching, pitching, pitching... Funny how things turn out.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sabathia's looked awful so far, but the Red Sox lineup, Crisp and Lugo in particular, have bailed him out. Beckett's rolling, that run was more a product of a great pitch that was hit poorly and fell in and became a double. Sox can't get the big hit... that's the difference in this series.

As for Manny's RBI single... that ball looked like it cleared the wall, but then I can't figure out how it would bounce back into play if it did, so the correct call was made, in my opinion. The way a ball bounces is usually the best way to tell if a ball's a HR or not.

Another interesting note is that Indians fans boo absolutely everything.

edit: That looked like Lofton was out-of-line in the almost fight. All Beckett did was yell "out", it appears.

I didn't see it live, but FYI, they were killing Beckett on Mike and Mike this morning. Golic read his quotes about "respecting the pitcher" and was pretending to get choked up. Basically saying that Beckett was the drama queen. Like I said, I didn't see it, but that would seem to indicate that there are at least some who think it was just Beckett whining.

I don't think the Indians were like: "Holy $&^%" and realized where they were. Simply put, Beckett decided that there was going to be a trip to Boston... PERIOD!

Beckett had nothing to do with our guys kicking the ball around the infield and imploding in the 7th and 8th innings. That was where the Indians looked like they had a "Holy :censored:" moment or two. Sabathia was more lucky than good last night. The guy needs to work on his big game performances. I still think it's The Indians' series to lose but Boston got the momentum back last night and now we're headed to their place. It's not exactly an easy assignment.

BB52Big.jpg

I understand your point that the Tribe got sloppy... but they only scored 1 run. 7-1, 15-1, 100-1 whatever the final was. The Indians did nothing with their bats. Not even that, the could do nothing with that pitching. Sox would have won 2-1. I'm not going to get all worried and carried away. I'm not going to look for a person to blame. They lost to the Red Sox, plain and simple. To beat them in the series 4-1 would have been incredible. Winning the series will be incredible. If it was a best of 9 or best of 11... this series would go the distance.

The Indians had 3 games to win 1. Now they have 2 games to win 1. They have won there already. If Fausto pitches well, Fenway might be just like Jacobs Field was last night.

I understand your point that the Tribe got sloppy... but they only scored 1 run. 7-1, 15-1, 100-1 whatever the final was. The Indians did nothing with their bats. Not even that, the could do nothing with that pitching. Sox would have won 2-1. I'm not going to get all worried and carried away. I'm not going to look for a person to blame. They lost to the Red Sox, plain and simple. To beat them in the series 4-1 would have been incredible. Winning the series will be incredible. If it was a best of 9 or best of 11... this series would go the distance.

The Indians had 3 games to win 1. Now they have 2 games to win 1. They have won there already. If Fausto pitches well, Fenway might be just like Jacobs Field was last night.

Having played ball myself, I can tell you that it has a real effect on the players when your Ace is pitching like CC did last night and their Ace is throwing like Beckett did. As soon as Youkilis hit that 1st inning bomb The tribe knew CC was off his game again. Manny's 399 foot single sealed the deal. The Indians batters started pressing early because they knew right away that one or two runs wasn't going to do it. We saw evidence of this when Beckett's pitch count was only at 72 in the 7th inning.

Like it or not, the Indians knew they weren't going to win by the 3rd inning last night. CC's lousy performances have a much bigger effect than you think. When your Ace is pitching well your mindset is that you'll get a chance somewhere to win the game even if it is their Ace you're facing. When your Ace is throwing like :censored: and their Ace is pitching like Beckett was your mindset is "we're :censored:-ed." No player would admit it but it's what happens. That's just baseball my friend.

All that aside, it is damned tough to beat a good team 4 straight times. I just wish we weren't headed back to Boston. But we are. I like Carmona's chances better than I did Sabathia's. Carmona was trying to strike out the side with one pitch all night in game 2. He was simply over-excited. CC has been pitching scared. Carmona just needs to calm down. Sabathia needs to grow a set and step up.

We lose tomorrow and it's over.

BB52Big.jpg

I think Sabathia's just exhausted. He's about 40 IP over his career high at this point, which is a huge leap. Unfortunately what favors him the most in the Cy Young race may just be what's caused him to struggle in the playoffs. I think the Red Sox start Jacoby Ellsbury this game with the mindset that he can't do much worse than Coco Crisp has... and it's true, and it's a smart move. Put him in the 9-spot because Lugo hasn't gotten it done and you need production out of your #9 spot. They can run on Victor Martinez, but when your speedy guys have such a terrible On-Base Percentage, you don't get the chances.

Beckett is incredible. And according to him, he's prepared to come out of the pen in game 7, if needed. Schilling in a big game isn't a bad situation to be in, hopefully he can pull it out and the bats can come to life. I agree that if the Sox win tomorrow night, it's just about a done deal.

By the way... the article isn't working for me now but I saw earlier that Ryan Garko said "The Champagne will taste just as sweet on the road" -- idiot.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think Sabathia's just exhausted. He's about 40 IP over his career high at this point, which is a huge leap.

By the way... the article isn't working for me now but I saw earlier that Ryan Garko said "The Champagne will taste just as sweet on the road" -- idiot.

Sabathia isn't as exhausted as he is pitching scared. The 40 innings might be part of the problem but you saw all you needed to see last night when he didn't know what to do when he had a full count on Ramirez. He stood around until the pitching coach came out and told him what to throw. Manny had Sabathia so psyched out it was pathetic. The dude is gripping plain and simple. He pitching scared and tenatively. Boston is in is head.

Thanks Ryan Garko. Nothing like serving up a little bulletin board material to go along with the momentum they already have.

BB52Big.jpg

Dare I post THIS???

We are so :censored:-ed.

As if the Garko comment wasn't enough bulletin board material. ^_^

I seriously doubt that The Red Sox will use Dick's Sporting Goods and Kohl's as inspiration tonight. Garko handled that. Cleveland did it's part upsetting the baseball gods. As I said before...we are so screwed.

Only in Cleveland. Oh well. I guess the bright side is this. It's not like the baseball gods are crazy about The Red Sox either.

EDIT: Never mind. All the playoff teams have T-shirts with a World Series logo. Whew. That was close.

BB52Big.jpg

I think Sabathia's just exhausted. He's about 40 IP over his career high at this point, which is a huge leap. Unfortunately what favors him the most in the Cy Young race may just be what's caused him to struggle in the playoffs. I think the Red Sox start Jacoby Ellsbury this game with the mindset that he can't do much worse than Coco Crisp has... and it's true, and it's a smart move. Put him in the 9-spot because Lugo hasn't gotten it done and you need production out of your #9 spot. They can run on Victor Martinez, but when your speedy guys have such a terrible On-Base Percentage, you don't get the chances.

Beckett is incredible. And according to him, he's prepared to come out of the pen in game 7, if needed. Schilling in a big game isn't a bad situation to be in, hopefully he can pull it out and the bats can come to life. I agree that if the Sox win tomorrow night, it's just about a done deal.

The last man who said that was Willie Randolph in September

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

First the shirt scare and now this. Thanks Tank. Just what I needed to hear. :D

BB52Big.jpg

And look how well that turned out for the Mets.

I was rooting against the Sox in this series, but now I'm backing the Sox, because the Indians have basically pissed the baseball gods off...again.

Archived