Official MLB Playoff Thread

Nick 1733

Hate to break it to you, you don't spend $100 million on a 3rd or 4th starter.

No :censored: sherlock. Your genius front office overpaid for an unproven pitcher. It's not Dice-K's fault he's a number three making number one money. He's not the guy on his way to being a bust, the decision to break the bank on him is.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate to break it to you, you don't spend $100 million on a 3rd or 4th starter.

No :censored: sherlock. Your genius front office overpaid for an unproven pitcher. It's not Dice-K's fault he's a number three making number one money. He's not the guy on his way to being a bust, the decision to break the bank on him is.

Look at what was advertised and what he's proven in his first season...

Great control -- The guy can't find the Strike Zone.

Great stuff -- It's above average, but it's hardly great... and if he can't locate it to begin with, what good is it?

Great arm strength -- We heard a lot about his throwing routine, which allows him to throw more pitches, but the guy hit a wall in terms of IP and has been terrible ever since.

I've seen probably about 80% of his starts this season and he flat out hasn't gotten better. I'm not saying he's a terrible pitcher, and that there's no spot for him in a Major League rotation, but so far he hasn't proven to be as advertised. It may change, players tend to need an adjustment period when they come to Boston among other cities and he certainly deserves one for switching leagues etc... but unless something changes next year and he becomes able to find the strikezone consistently, he's on the road to being a bust. The $100 million isn't that much of a problem... $10 million a year was reasonable for what we thought he'd being to the table and the rest of the money was an investment in the Asian market... most of which will probably be returned.

4-2 on a Varitek Home Run.

How many ball fours do the Red Sox have to take to get a base?

IUe6Hvh.png

I can't argue with you there. "Erik Gregg lives" is what my buddy who is a Red Sox fan just sent me in a text message.

Regarding Dice-K. It was a preemptive move by the Red Sox to make sure the Yankees didn't get him. It didn't work as planned. He was advertised based on what he had done in Japan. As we all know the Japanese baseball isn't quite the same as Major League Ball.

BB52Big.jpg

I can't argue with you there. "Erik Gregg lives" is what my buddy who is a Red Sox fan just sent me in a text message.

Yeah, it's going both ways. I know Timlin and Dice got some generous calls. But these two were in big enough spots where it's frustrating the hell outta me. ^_^

edit: And if there was any consistency with the strikezone, Pedroia would've K'ed on that 0-2 pitch.

IUe6Hvh.png

I've been to Cleveland. I don't begrudge their desire to cheer anything, much less a second-inning home run.

Agreed. The Indians have gone 59 years without a title and the city as a whole's gone 43 without a major sports crown. The Cavs made the NBA finals and the Indians could make the World Series... it's already a good year for Cleveland sports fans. Let their suffering end!

nav-logo.png

I agree... the Sox "felt" that they had to get Dice-K before the Yankees did. The Sox fell in to that trap. He has some good stuff, but not by the standards of what he's getting paid. Man, I wish it was the Yankees who signed him. He'd fit right in. It's just like the ENTIRE freakin' Yankees team!!! They are good, but obviously not worth what they are getting paid.

As far as "The Curtain Call"... it's only because it was Kenny Lofton. For him of all people to hit the HR was a special moment. Many of you might not understand, but you don't have to. It's a "Cleveland thing" with Kenny. Just like Manny doing his little "thing" when hitting a HR... I hate it. Sox fans might like it.

I agree... the Sox "felt" that they had to get Dice-K before the Yankees did. The Sox fell in to that trap. He has some good stuff, but not by the standards of what he's getting paid. Man, I wish it was the Yankees who signed him. He'd fit right in. It's just like the ENTIRE freakin' Yankees team!!! They are good, but obviously not worth what they are getting paid.

No the Yankees got worse in reaction to the Dice-K signing they spent a lot to bring over Kei Igauwa who wore sun glasses out on the mound was gone by mid season. At least Dice-K is a decent pitcher.

Fortunately the Yankees found out they had some pretty good pitchers in the farm system and next year they will come back with what should be a nice young rotation with Hughes, Joba (who will be a starter) and Kennedy. Hopefully Pettitte will return to give some reliable veteran presence.

The D-Backs offense is ill-equipped to come back from five down. It's damn near impossible to "manufacture" five runs. The Rockies bats picked a fantastic time to come to life...

Not to mention the Rockies 'lights out' bullpen... 2 runs in 23+ innings. It'll be pretty much impossible...

They just said the D'Backs came back from being 5 down twice, against the Pirates and the Devil Rays... those two fantastic pitching staffs right there.

Seems like this game is just flying by. Whoever pitched the last few innings for Arizona in relief did a damn good job, he was just mowing guys down.

The fact that the Rockies batters were just swinging for the fence might have at least a little something to do with that.

CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Rockies still up 6-4, the D'Backs just hit a 3 run homer.

Seems like this game is just flying by. Whoever pitched the last few innings for Arizona in relief did a damn good job, he was just mowing guys down.

The fact that the Rockies batters were just swinging for the fence might have at least a little something to do with that.

CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Rockies still up 6-4, the D'Backs just hit a 3 run homer.

Fuentes has a bad habit of keeping things interesting. Keep him on a short leash from here on out...

Triple for Upton. And Hurdle's turning to Corpas.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived