So the 2008 Yankees might not include:

Joe Torre

Roger Clemens

Andy Pettitte

Jorge Posada

Mariano Rivera

Alex Rodriguez

What a shame.

In my opinion, Torre's gone, Clemens is done for, Pettitte staying is dependent on who they replace Torre with, Posada will be back, Rivera will be back, and A-Rod will opt out. I can't decide if I really believe that A-Rod will opt out or it's wishful thinking. They may try and eat a lot of Giambi's contract and trade him, as well -- I imagine a number of teams would be interested.

Anyways, back to teams that will be playing baseball next week... ^_^

Red Sox vs. Indians is a good matchup, but I like the Sox chances. Beckett vs. Sabathia in game one, the edge has to go to Beckett. The guy apparently has a whole 'nother level once the calendar hits October and Sabathia looked shaky against the Yankees. Carmona against Schilling or Dice-K favors the Indians, but then the Red Sox have the advantage against Westbrook and Byrd. Red Sox have the advantage in the bullpen, which will be key since both lineups are patient and capable of running pitchers pitch counts up quick. And honestly, I'm salivating at the thought of Joe Borowski on the mound in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th in Fenway... and the Sox have the better lineup, particularly with Manny starting to find his swing. Plus the Sox have home field advantage.

Should be a good series... I'll say Sox in 6.

Let's add Jeter to that list...

... Why? They've got Jeter through 2010...

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the 2008 Yankees might not include:

Joe Torre

Roger Clemens

Andy Pettitte

Jorge Posada

Mariano Rivera

Alex Rodriguez

What a shame.

Not really. Torre's run with the Yankees went on a year or two longer than most people thought, Clemens and Pettite's best days are behind them, Posada will be another teams' stud catcher, Rivera will go on and close somewhere else (are you listening, Pat Gillick?) and A-Rod will go to whomever is dumb enough to shell out $20 million for a guy who hits well in any month that doesn't begin with "S" or "O".

The Yankees will then overspend, make it into the playoffs again, only to get knocked out by an AL West or Central club whose payroll is a minute fraction of the Yankees.

So really, it's not. It's just a perpetual cluster:censored:.

philly.png

I was at the game last night. It wasn't a heart-breaker, as in 2001, or a head-scratcher, as in 2004, this one was just plain frustrating.

Now all I can do is root for Colorado. Go newfound parity in baseball!

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

In case you missed it, Suzy Waldman crying during the Yankee postgame coverage:

Page includes link to audio

Decent, good for a mild chuckle if you have the time to listen.

Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen! Not very professional of her, in my opinion.

Well, anyone who has ever listened to the Yankees on the radio would know that she is a top notch jackass. She is the only person that can challenge John Sterling in the arena of jackassery. Of course Sterling is the bigger jackass, but the Yankees have the worst radio broadcast in all of MLB. With all the money they spend, you'd think they would spend some money to get a decent radio crew instead of these two morons. I'll listen to the clip of course, but I don't have to because I already know how much Sterling and Waldman suck. Obviously me being an Indians fan, and my dad liking them too, we were even happier when the Indians won because not only did they eliminate the hated Yankees, but now NO MORE STERLING AND WALDMAN FOR A FEW MONTHS!!! Who can't be happy about that?

Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen! Not very professional of her, in my opinion.

Well, anyone who has ever listened to the Yankees on the radio would know that she is a top notch jackass. She is the only person that can challenge John Sterling in the arena of jackassery. Of course Sterling is the bigger jackass, but the Yankees have the worst radio broadcast in all of MLB. With all the money they spend, you'd think they would spend some money to get a decent radio crew instead of these two morons. I'll listen to the clip of course, but I don't have to because I already know how much Sterling and Waldman suck. Obviously me being an Indians fan, and my dad liking them too, we were even happier when the Indians won because not only did they eliminate the hated Yankees, but now NO MORE STERLING AND WALDMAN FOR A FEW MONTHS!!! Who can't be happy about that?

Not to mention their television play by play guy, Michael Kay, sucks too.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Yankees are notorious for hiring "homers" as broadcasters. Look at Rizzuto and even Mel Allen. As long as I can remember the best radio booth in New York was not the Yankees but the Mets and it still holds true. To me the Yankees broadcasts are unlistenable thanks to John Sterling.

The Yankees are notorious for hiring "homers" as broadcasters. Look at Rizzuto and even Mel Allen. As long as I can remember the best radio booth in New York was not the Yankees but the Mets and it still holds true. To me the Yankees broadcasts are unlistenable thanks to John Sterling.

How do Yankees fans feel about Sterling's little "Yankees win!" call? I've always kind of assumed that you find it as annoying as the rest of us.

IUe6Hvh.png

Classic. Almost as good as her "Rloger Clemens is commin to New York" line.

Totally ridiculous. Even the local guys here in Austin were calling her Edith Bunker. I love how the monotone-guy keeps trying to talk her down and she won't take his hand....until it's painfully clear she's made an utter ass of herself.

newsig.jpg

How do Yankees fans feel about Sterling's little "Yankees win!" call? I've always kind of assumed that you find it as annoying as the rest of us.

It's only the 245,326th most annoying thing he does. "An A-Bomb, for A-Rod!!" "Cano, Whaddya Know!?" "Jorgie Juiced One!" "You can Bet on Betemit!" all rank higher, the last two being unintentionally hilarious and groan-inducing because they reference steroids and gambling, two scourges on professional sports. He makes Chris Berman look quasi-professional and unembarrassing.

I hope the Yankee off-season house cleaning doesn't forget the press box, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's only the 245,326th most annoying thing he does. "An A-Bomb, for A-Rod!!" "Cano, Whaddya Know!?" "Jorgie Juiced One!" "You can Bet on Betemit!" all rank higher, the last two being unintentionally hilarious and groan-inducing because they reference steroids and gambling, two scourges on professional sports. He makes Chris Berman look quasi-professional and unembarrassing.

I hope the Yankee off-season house cleaning doesn't forget the press box, but I'm not holding my breath.

"The Melk Man!", "The GiamBINO!", "A Jeterian play!"

"Man oh Mientkiewicz!", "A thrilla by Godzilla!", "Positively Damonic!"

IUe6Hvh.png

What about the pockets of dead air, when the Yankees are losing?

When the Yanks have the lead they are talking about this and that but when the Yanks are down you will hear nothing but the radio buzz between pitches, it works on TV but not the radio.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Broadcasters being hired by teams are supposed to be "homers", as they are employees of the team.

I don't know why people can't grasp that logic.

Exactly Hedley, and it's not like Sterling and Waldman are the worst. As long as Pat Hughes and Ron Santo are polluting the airwaves, THAT will set the gold standard for sucking. Unless 'Mike and Mike' ever do a baseball game.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

"An A-Bomb, for A-Rod!!" "Cano, Whaddya Know!?" "Jorgie Juiced One!" "You can Bet on Betemit!"

My first reaction was to ask if you guys were serious, but then I realized that no one would make up something that stupid.

"Jeterian" :rolleyes:

I've nothing wrong with the announcers being a homer. That's what they're supposed to do. That said, I don't have any problem with you being a homer if you balance it out with a bit of appreciation and excitement for the game in general, e.g. both teams. The one thing I hate is when the opposing team makes some sort of spectacular play, and the announcer marks it with the same monotone drone that one would use while ordering food at a restaurant. Get excited about your team, yes, but get excited about the game. That's what you're there for.

As far as Waldman and Stirling are concerned, well, it's just another reason to hate the Yankees. They're just like the majority (not all, but most) of their fans - arrogant, and believe that they're G-d gift to the world because they're, well, the Yankees. I lost all respect for Waldman (not that I had any to begin with) after Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS when she chuckled on her WFAN show over how the "Boston fans [were] excited because they avoided a sweep".

The only decent Yankees radio man they've had in recent memory is Charley Steiner. Now he's with the Dodgers.

Now, as much as I hate (HATE) the Mets, I loved listening to Gary Cohen and Bob Murphy. Now Murphy is gone and Cohen is on TV, so much for that.

philly.png

Archived