Official MLB Playoff Thread

Nick 1733

Rox up 2-1 on the Phillies as I'm typing this... 3 solo home runs.

Does anyone else in the world do that? Is it a Colorado thing? I'm not attacking you, Nick 1733, but I really hate the way "Rox" looks. I've noticed you use it for that past few months, and it took me a long time to figure out what it meant.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN refers to the Rockies as the Rox almost religiously.

I tell you, the quality of my life has substantially improved since I stopped watching ESPN. It used to be my morning routine -- Cheerios, the paper and SportsCenter -- but I'm far happier without it. I highly recommend giving up ESPN. Or at least watching the sports they air with the sound off.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I tell you, the quality of my life has substantially improved since I stopped watching ESPN. It used to be my morning routine -- Cheerios, the paper and SportsCenter -- but I'm far happier without it. I highly recommend giving up ESPN. Or at least watching the sports they air with the sound off.

I normally watch one round of SC with the sound on, then I watch the reruns with headphones on. Once they put Skip Bayless on SC, that was it for me.

And watch A-Rod get blamed for the Yanks losing 12-3.

Does anyone else in the world do that? Is it a Colorado thing? I'm not attacking you, Nick 1733, but I really hate the way "Rox" looks. I've noticed you use it for that past few months, and it took me a long time to figure out what it meant.

I type it out as Rocks, if need be. But I usually try and say/type Rockies.

By the way, Nick, is the bandwagoning out there as bad as it seems? Facebook has me under the impression that everyone's a Rockies fan these days, even people that don't follow sports. I moved out here to Florida two months ago and when I left, nobody out there could name anybody on the team not named "Helton", and sadly, that's not an exaggeration -- I may be a Red Sox fan first and foremost but I've watched at least half of this teams games every year for about the last four or five years and have supported this team a great deal more than 98% of the people out there, so you know I'm not a bandwagoner as I've shown my support and faith in this young roster for the past two or three years on this forum.

IUe6Hvh.png

For those of you hanging out under a rock...

The Indians are up on the Yankees 9-3 headed into the top of the 7th.

Yankees are in trouble. Assuming they lose tonight... unless they win three straight, they have to throw Wang in game five and he's a completely different pitcher on the road, as shown tonight. And how much can they trust Mussina and Clemens? Getting into the bullpen early was the worst thing that could've happened to them. They don't have the depth.

I have no clue why they didn't pitch Pettitte in game one and use Wang for game 3 in NY. Pettitte has been the Yankees best pitcher all year and he has a better history in the playoffs than Wang. I hope Pettitte will come up strong tomorrow and I'll take my chances in games 3 and 4 in the Stadium.

... at least you still have your Cheerios and the paper... life's still good :)

I guess the Rox is just playing on "Sox", which I have always hated, just about as much as "Leafs"..... I digress ...

I saw, I came, I left.

For those of you hanging out under a rock...

The Indians are up on the Yankees 9-3 headed into the top of the 7th.

Yankees are in trouble. Assuming they lose tonight... unless they win three straight, they have to throw Wang in game five and he's a completely different pitcher on the road, as shown tonight. And how much can they trust Mussina and Clemens? Getting into the bullpen early was the worst thing that could've happened to them. They don't have the depth.

I have no clue why they didn't pitch Pettitte in game one and use Wang for game 3 in NY. Pettitte has been the Yankees best pitcher all year and he has a better history in the playoffs than Wang. I hope Pettitte will come up strong tomorrow and I'll take my chances in games 3 and 4 in the Stadium.

Look at Wang's numbers on the road, too. Completely different pitcher.

4.91 ERA on the road, gives up over a hit an inning.

2.75 ERA at home.

With the Tigers not making much of a run at the wildcard, the Yankees had more than enough time to set it up so he would pitch in Yankee Stadium. I'm with you, man, I think they made a mistake. If the Yankees don't take three straight, I think this decision will come up to bite them in the ass again in game 5.

IUe6Hvh.png

By the way, Nick, is the bandwagoning out there as bad as it seems? Facebook has me under the impression that everyone's a Rockies fan these days, even people that don't follow sports. I moved out here to Florida two months ago and when I left, nobody out there could name anybody on the team not named "Helton", and sadly, that's not an exaggeration -- I may be a Red Sox fan first and foremost but I've watched at least half of this teams games every year for about the last four or five years and have supported this team a great deal more than 98% of the people out there, so you know I'm not a bandwagoner as I've shown my support and faith in this young roster for the past two or three years on this forum.

Yea, actually, it's gotten pretty bad. People all over who probably, like you said, couldn't name anyone not named Helton. I mean years of futility and all of a sudden they win 15 of their last 16 and everyone's a fan.

I've been watching them, and cheering for them since they showed up here. I went to over 20 games in between 1995 and 1999, and not once did they lose. Granted, I wanted them to lose when they played Seattle (where I got Griffey's HR ball) but won in extra innings after we'd left.

So basically I'm just like you in the sense that I'm a Mariners fan first and foremost, but the Rockies are a close second.

But what do you expect? The Rockies have the best season in franchise history and ALL the bandwagon fans come out of the woodwork. Same thing happened when the Nuggets made the playoffs in Melo's first season.

Typical Yankee playoff loss. Starting pitching falls apart, bullpen gets burnt in more ways than one, offense goes down listlessly.

Like the saying goes, good pitching ALWAYS beats good hitting in the playoffs. The Yankees are in very big trouble, as they have not shown the ability to break out of the kinds of playoff ruts they appear to be in now.

On the bright side, this way of losing makes the team eminently frustrating and dislikable, and thus easier to get over when they are blown out of the playoffs.

Yea, actually, it's gotten pretty bad. People all over who probably, like you said, couldn't name anyone not named Helton. I mean years of futility and all of a sudden they win 15 of their last 16 and everyone's a fan.

I've been watching them, and cheering for them since they showed up here. I went to over 20 games in between 1995 and 1999, and not once did they lose. Granted, I wanted them to lose when they played Seattle (where I got Griffey's HR ball) but won in extra innings after we'd left.

So basically I'm just like you in the sense that I'm a Mariners fan first and foremost, but the Rockies are a close second.

But what do you expect? The Rockies have the best season in franchise history and ALL the bandwagon fans come out of the woodwork. Same thing happened when the Nuggets made the playoffs in Melo's first season.

I don't think the Nuggets situation was as bad because you could tell the organization was about to turn around, and we'd gotten a big name star and all that jazz and atleast happened in between seasons and people didn't pretend to know more about the team than 'Melo, at first... but this is all within the last month of the regular season... nobody knew who these guys were at the All-Star break... People thought they were out of contention at that point because they didn't follow them one bit and assumed they "sucked" as usual -- I had to tell people they'd at least compete this year and that they were a playoff team next year. And now everybody's a fan, and thinks they're an expert... ugh.

And UW, fortunately for the Yankees they have good pitching pitching tomorrow too. Wang in game one was a disaster waiting to happen even though I think the guy's a fantastic pitcher and will only get better. I still can't see games three and four as anything more or less than tossups. Who knows with Clemens and Mussina at this point. If I know Clemens like I think I do, if the Yankees lose tomorrow night, expect Clemens to leave game three "injured" and down by five.

IUe6Hvh.png

Side note... only one wild card has swept a team equal to them or better in record in a postseason series... the 2000 Mariners, who swept the White Sox in the ALDS.

But what was Charlie thinking putting Lohse in?

Technically Will, the Rockies finished half a game ahead of the Phillies with 90 wins, so by the standings, the Rockies are the better team, record wise.

I made these predictions before the one game playoff. I'm not good at predicting the amount of games so I won't try.

Rockies over Phillies

D-Backs over Cubs

Indians over Yankees

Red Sox over Angels

Rockies over D-Backs

Indians over Red Sox

Indians over Rockies

Great pitchers duel in Cleveland. A Melky Cabrera solo shot has the Yankees up 1-0 in the eighth. If the Indians lose this game they have nobody to blame but themselves for their piss-poor situational hitting. Pettitte was good, but not as great as the score would indicate.

IUe6Hvh.png

Reminds me of 2002 in Biloxi, MS when we had probably the worst swarm of lovebugs in history. Couldn't go anywhere without a lovebug crawling on you.

But what's going on in Cleveland is ridiculous. Gnats were ALL OVER the pitcher's neck. That's wild.

How about those Gnats the Yankees seem to be really distracted by them

Yeah, Joba looked like he was channeling Rick Ankiel that inning.

1-1 after Sizemore scores on a wild pitch. Carmona did not deserve to be on the hook for a loss through eight, he's pitched too damn brilliantly.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived