Uniforms you both love and hate

JStamper

Of all the uniforms in sports, the one I can't seem to figure out whether I love it or hate it is Virginia Tech. Some times I watch them play and think they are the ugliest uni's around. Other times I watch them and think they are unique and really great.

I mainly feel this way when they wear the dark jerseys. I also can never figure out exactly what color they are. Its really the weirdest thing. Like most people that frequent this site, when I see a uniform I decide in about 5 seconds how I feel about it. I'm no VT fan, but I've seen them play 1,000 times on tv and just can't get a grip on how I feel about their uniforms.

Does anyone else feel this way about VT or anyone else? Which uniforms out there can you just not decide how you feel about??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of all the uniforms in sports, the one I can't seem to figure out whether I love it or hate it is Virginia Tech. Some times I watch them play and think they are the ugliest uni's around. Other times I watch them and think they are unique and really great.

I mainly feel this way when they wear the dark jerseys. I also can never figure out exactly what color they are. Its really the weirdest thing. Like most people that frequent this site, when I see a uniform I decide in about 5 seconds how I feel about it. I'm no VT fan, but I've seen them play 1,000 times on tv and just can't get a grip on how I feel about their uniforms.

Does anyone else feel this way about VT or anyone else? Which uniforms out there can you just not decide how you feel about??

I feel exactly the same about VT. Sometimes I love the uniform, calling it piping gone right. Then, sometimes I'll watch them play and I can't stand the look.

Another one (and this will probably make some people have a heart attack) is Oregon. Yes, Oregon. I keep thinking sometimes that if only they had a better number font, eliminated the black jersey completely, wore the all-green combo at home and the all-white combo away, it would be great. But sometimes, like last weekend watching them play USC, I was thinking "Wow, look at what Nike did for USC...then look at what they did to Oregon...wow."

Cowboys

Like most people I think they need to PICK A COLOR! Different blues, different silvers. One thing I always wanted them to do is put blue face masks on their helmets. It's not likely to happen because for some unknown reason teams are going back to the generic gray facemasks.

Devils. It's a solid uniform with a great logo, but I wish they'd never ditched Christmas.

Buccaneers. Same reason

Bengals. Great Helmet. Horrible jerseys.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Devils. It's a solid uniform with a great logo, but I wish they'd never ditched Christmas.

It took me quite a while to come around on that. But I've finally accepted that while going to black is a lazy move for 90% of teams, black and red is really the ideal scheme for a team called the Devils.

Black Flyers.

One hand, I hate it cause the old badass orange jersey isnt worn anymore, and I beleive ity should be the 3rd jersey.

I love it, cause it looks good, it actually made sense for the flyers to have a black 3rd jersey, as that is one of the main colors of our logo, but to dimish the orange, and then introduce some weird orange a few years later was lame.

Next years orange alt better look kickass.

oregonuniforms.jpg

Love that they are unique, and hate that they are unique at the same time. Same goes for the VT jerseys - but I love those more, and I wish they'd add an orange one.

Now here's a case where I love the uniform, but hate the team:

43_PickettAppleCup.JPG

So to some up:

Love and hate the design:

Oregon

VT

Wake

Love the team, but hate the design:

Seahawks

Penguins

Hate the team, love the design:

old UW football

UW basketball

Yankees

old Stanford basketball (prior to last season)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I love the Yankees' jerseys (and the team itself), but I hate the fact that they have three different interlocking NYs (batting helmet, hat, and home chest). That, and the fact that they use the batting helmet logo as their main logo on everything, when it is my least favorite of the three. And while they're at it, I'd like to see them ditch the white trim and the stripes on the sleeves from the road uniforms.

how can you love and hate a jersey at the same time?

you can love a jersey or logo and hate the team

or vice versa

i love the asu sun devils i hate their colors

i hate any of the football jersey with stripes in all directions and colr panals in odd spots

Packers.

Sometimes it really works for me, sometimes the contrasting undershirts/superfluous neck stripes really bother me and I want to start from scratch.

Holding back my obvious disdain for the franchise, I actually don't mind their uniforms too much. I do agree that they should simplify them a bit more. The biggest problem I've had with their uniform set is the fact that they wear yellow pants with white jerseys. I might be in the minority here, but I can't stand that look. Its too "yellow" for me. I wish they'd do white on white or green pants or something other than yellow. Alas, it is a franchise steeped in tradition, so I don't forsee a change anytime soon....or ever.

how can you love and hate a jersey at the same time?

A jersey can have some elements that you find beautiful, and others that you find regrettable.

* 1992-1993 Mets home jersey -- I loved that they ditched the gaudy racing stripe for a cleaner look, but I didn't like that they altered the wordmark to include a tail under it. (The 1994 set reverted to the classic wordmark, and therefore became perfect, before the scourge of unnecessary black descended a few years later.)

* 2001-2006 Diamondbacks home jersey -- I loved the A logo, the green and purple colour scheme, and the pinstripes. I hated the goofy number font.

* 1975-1981 White Sox white jersey -- I loved the old-timey wordmark, and I also loved the numbers in that same font. I didn't like the fact that the collars were only half-collars, and didn't actually go around the back of the jersey.

* current Chargers sky blue -- Love the colours and the bolts; hate the number font.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Packers.

Sometimes it really works for me, sometimes the contrasting undershirts/superfluous neck stripes really bother me and I want to start from scratch.

Holding back my obvious disdain for the franchise, I actually don't mind their uniforms too much. I do agree that they should simplify them a bit more. The biggest problem I've had with their uniform set is the fact that they wear yellow pants with white jerseys. I might be in the minority here, but I can't stand that look. Its too "yellow" for me. I wish they'd do white on white or green pants or something other than yellow. Alas, it is a franchise steeped in tradition, so I don't forsee a change anytime soon....or ever.

Holding back my obvious disdain for YOUR franchise ... I've always thought the Bears looked good (except for the orange alts) since Ditka added the navy pants. I'd update the sleeves, but otherwise it's a very clean look. In fact, they're one of the few NFL teams whose navy monochrome looked good (probably due to the wide pant stripes); it looks successfully retro.

As for the Packers: I'd be fine with green road pants. For that matter, I'd even consider a green helmet (the only good thing about the Ducks is their green helmet).

Packers-2.png

I love the Yankees' jerseys (and the team itself), but I hate the fact that they have three different interlocking NYs (batting helmet, hat, and home chest). That, and the fact that they use the batting helmet logo as their main logo on everything, when it is my least favorite of the three. And while they're at it, I'd like to see them ditch the white trim and the stripes on the sleeves from the road uniforms.

It's actually four versions - uniform, cap, batting helmet and print (the print is the only one I don't like, and guess which one is used the most?).

Agreed on the white trim - here's hoping they get rid of it when they move into a new stadium.

Packers.

I agree that the yellow pants with white jersey emphasizes yellow too much. I wish they were a little less collegiate while retaining a professional, traditional design. Still, a good design as is.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Packers.

Holding back my obvious disdain for YOUR franchise ... I've always thought the Bears looked good (except for the orange alts) since Ditka added the navy pants. I'd update the sleeves, but otherwise it's a very clean look. In fact, they're one of the few NFL teams whose navy monochrome looked good (probably due to the wide pant stripes); it looks successfully retro.

As for the Packers: I'd be fine with green road pants. For that matter, I'd even consider a green helmet (the only good thing about the Ducks is their green helmet).

I think that due to your team's record THIS year, you are allowed to spew some disdain our way. We kind of deserve it this year. ^_^

I don't know what a green helmet would look like or if it would work. You'd have to change the color of the 'G' and the helmet stripes. In the end I'm not sure if it would even look remotely like a Packer helmet after all of those changes. Now if you were talking about a futuristic Packer redesign, with a metallic green helmet and a gold 'G' (without the white oval background) then maybe you'd be on to something. But, I would predict about 60,000 simultaneous heart attacks reported in Cheese Country if that even came close to fruition.

Archived