NY Mets Uniforms

jayzcat

I wouldn't mind if they kept the black accents, or hell, kept a black alt jersey. But I think the home whites (both) and the road greys should ONLY be worn with the blue cap / blue socks. They can still wear the black caps with the black alts if they want. IMO this would clean up their look and still keep people with black replica jerseys happy.

That is a simple enough compromise until they get an entirely new set of uniforms. I like your thinking here.

That raises a pair of questions:

1. Why the need to compromise? Why not just create new uniforms or eliminate parts of the current uniform entirely?
  2. What to do with the two black caps? Make one a home alt and one a road alt?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't mind if they kept the black accents, or hell, kept a black alt jersey. But I think the home whites (both) and the road greys should ONLY be worn with the blue cap / blue socks. They can still wear the black caps with the black alts if they want. IMO this would clean up their look and still keep people with black replica jerseys happy.

That is a simple enough compromise until they get an entirely new set of uniforms. I like your thinking here.

1. Why the need to compromise? Why not just create new uniforms or eliminate parts of the current uniform entirely?

How about a new logo? They have had the same logo since 1962.

If the Mets get a new logo, the script font needs to go!!!!

The colors should be :

Blue from the Brooklyn Dodgers

Orange from the New York Baseball Giants

Gold as part of the official colors of the seal of New York State

White which is part of any baseball uniform

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

How about a new logo? They have had the same logo since 1962.

I don't see this happening ever, really. It's been there since 1962. Has a lot of history behind it (even though it's only been around for 45 years, which compared to other historical teams, isn't that long). And other than a few tweeks, changes in lettering of 'New York' on the aways, and the addition of black TO the set, not replacing a color already in the set, the uniforms haven't strayed to far from the originals. The racing stripes (and pullover jerseys) was the farthest they strayed, and even that was just adding stripes to what they had.

I'm no Mets fan, believe me, but a complete change is unnecessary. Just get back to the basics of blue and orange and they look great.

There is no need to compromise at all. I meant more of a makeshift remedy.

I agree that it's a fantastic logo.

But they've already changed it. Twice - removing the "NY" (good move) and recoloring it in the trendy black (horrible move).

There is no need to compromise at all. I meant more of a makeshift remedy.

I guess I just don't see the need for a makeshift remedy at all. Fix it altogether - no halfway measures.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having a major problem with the logo. This is a first for me. Its always the uniforms that people seem to complain about.

I don't think a logo change is necessary at all. Its a distinct logo with great visual balance and emblamatic of a baseball team that plays in the city of New York. Its not a logo that would work real well anywhere else IMO.

I say keep the logo and ditch the uniforms....start over fresh. How hard could it be? The colors would work nicely in any way on a uniform...EXCEPT against black. ^_^

I agree that it's a fantastic logo.

But they've already changed it. Twice - removing the "NY" (good move) and recoloring it in the trendy black (horrible move).

The "blackened" version without the 'NY' is only an alt. logo that appears only on the black jerseys (and maybe other non-game merchandise), but the original is still the official primary logo and appears on both white uniforms and the aways.

Again, no major change necessary. They just need to get back to the basics.

I don't know if they're going to do anything (and since they're stubborn and ridiculous, especially on this topic, I assume not) but I know that when the Times did the article on Paul Lukas' Ditch the Black campaign during the 2006 postseason, I believe they said that they would possibly evaluate uniform changes for the move into Citi Field. So hopefully they hear the clamoring for the black dropshadowing and uniforms to go. How could they not?

And as far as the dropshadowing looking good: it doesn't. It takes away all the negative space on the white and pinstripe jerseys. So you almost get a three color outline look that comes off as thick and fat instead of sleek. Don't forget when they tried their ice cream man look in 1997, they actually had white outline around the wordmark and letters. It didn't look bad, because you could barely notice it, but still just silly. Just get rid of it. Two colors: blue and orange.

You know, after continuing to champion this cause for a while (as we all have) what perplexes me most is why are they so damn stubborn about the black? Every time a new Authentic Collection jacket or sweatshirt or championship t-shirt or anything comes out, the Mets primary color is black. And why? I mean, there's a friggen petition about it on the Internet for crying out loud. Do they not realize that a vast number of people hate the black? And after this year, when they made themselves into a joke on the field, that they make it even worse with having 5 different jerseys and countless different combinations? I'm assuming the Mets have, you know, oh yeah MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS people. Hey, Mr. Intern. Or Senor Middle Manager. Please try to relay it through Jay Horowitz's fat, 8 1/4 size head, and slap some sense into Charlie Samuels while you're at it, that fans want the pinstripes. Their announcer (Howie Rose) wants the pinstripes. Get on it for Citi Field instead of showing me a damn preview center for seats I'm not going to be able to afford.

Oh, and tell Omar to get a pitcher, too.

sig2024.png

And as far as the dropshadowing looking good: it doesn't. It takes away all the negative space on the white and pinstripe jerseys. So you almost get a three color outline look that comes off as thick and fat instead of sleek. Don't forget when they tried their ice cream man look in 1997, they actually had white outline around the wordmark and letters. It didn't look bad, because you could barely notice it, but still just silly. Just get rid of it. Two colors: blue and orange.

Didn't know they did that. The Dodgers did something similar until recently, and I never understood the point of the white outline.

Didn't know they did that. The Dodgers did something similar until recently, and I never understood the point of the white outline.

I think the Mets skyline logo is the best in baseball -- hands down! Represents the city perfectly.

As for the changes, removing the little NY was such a minor tweek that I bet few people outside of us uniform junkies would have noticed.

I don't like the black version of it, but as long as it remains an alternate version, I don't mind too much.

Nothing is happening.

All of next years MLB changes were leaked, and the Mets were not shown.

What teams were on the list?

What about NFL?

I missed them. :cry:

Off the top of my head:

The Rays have already unveiled their overhaul.

Cleveland, Philly and Toronto are getting complete throwback alts, the Royals are getting a powder blue alt jersey.

Not to mention the anniversary patches for the Dodgers and Giants, the stadium patches for Yanks and Mets, and All-Star Game patch for the Yankees.

The NFL? Don't know - it's waaaay to early for that.

Nothing is happening.

All of next years MLB changes were leaked, and the Mets were not shown.

What teams were on the list?

What about NFL?

I missed them. :cry:

Off the top of my head:

The Rays have already unveiled their overhaul.

Cleveland, Philly and Toronto are getting complete throwback alts, the Royals are getting a powder blue alt jersey.

Not to mention the anniversary patches for the Dodgers and Giants, the stadium patches for Yanks and Mets, and All-Star Game patch for the Yankees.

The NFL? Don't know - it's waaaay to early for that.

We know nothing's changing for next year...its meant as for 2009 when Citifield opens...not 2008...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Dodgers did a bright white outline on a matte white jersey. Subtle, but very nice. That's one of the many reasons their current set is such a downgrade from the previous one.

While I don't like drop shadows, I don't see the harm at all in the Mets having black in their set. And I still hate pinstripes, so there you go.

Archived