Browns Will Wear Throwbacks Sunday

Burning River

I like the look. Obviously, it's not much different, but the numbers are a cool touch for one game!

Here's the Article from ClevelandBrowns .com:

Browns will don throwbacks Sunday

Thanksgiving weekend is used as a time to look back and reflect, and to continue -- or at least re-live -- traditions.

The Browns will do exactly that on Sunday when they meet the Houston Texans at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

In what has become somewhat of a new holiday tradition for the team, the Browns, for the second straight year on Thanksgiving weekend, will wear throwback uniforms dating back to the 1957-59 seasons.

The biggest changes in these new-/old-look uniforms -- with brown jerseys -- involve three-inch-high player numbers on the sides of the helmet, and striped socks.

The Browns wore numbers on the sides of their helmets from 1957-60, which is the only time they have had any markings, insignias or logos on their helmets. Otherwise, the helmets have been mostly plain orange (1952-56 and 1961-present) or plain white (1946-51).

The helmets from 1952-59 had a single white stripe down the middle. In 1960, it was replaced by a thicker white surrounded by two smaller brown stripes on either side. Those are the helmets the Browns wear today.

The Browns practiced Wednesday in the throwback helmets -- minus the numbers. Those will be added Saturday after the final practice of the week is held.

As for the socks, the Browns used these from 1946 through the late '60s. The striping matches the stripes on the sleeves of the uniforms used then, and again since 2006 when the Browns went back to a more traditional look to honor their 60th anniversary.

Solid brown socks have been used extensively since 1999.

Fans might also notice that the stripe down the outside of the pants is also thinner. This was the striping used from 1946-95. When the new Browns debuted in 1999, the striping was the thicker version you see today.

Another change is the fact there will be no player numbers on the shoulders of the jersey, as is the case today.

Two things that don't have to be changed are the black shoes and the gray facemasks on the helmets. Those were re-instituted in 2006.

The Browns, however, hope the results of the game are better than the first time they did this. The Cincinnati Bengals came to Cleveland last Nov. 26 and won 30-0, handing the Browns their largest margin of defeat of the season -- and the second-worst in Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel's three seasons -- and ruining the Thanksgiving weekend for a lot of people.

They'd like to finish out the tradition in a traditional way, with a win.

The Browns from 1957-59 were a combined 13-5 at home. This year's club is 4-1 at home and is riding a four-game winning streak there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like anything on the Browns helmets. They're just not the Browns without those plain orange helmets. I do remember that game from last year though, and the helmets didn't look to good.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

The "throwbacks" are so close to their current that it really doesnt matter, although they should use the helmets with the numbers...they look great. Having the number one one side of the helmet would be a great change.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

To me, the sock striping and the absence of the "AL" patch make for great improvements. The helmet, however, is an unnecessary step backward.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Those socks are something to behold, I can't fathom why they don't wear them all the time. Also, it looks like Winslow isn;t wearing them in that game. If they reinstituted those beauties and kept that thinner pants stripe to go along with the current home, they'd have perfection.

You are right, he did not wear the correct socks for that game:

610x.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Those socks are something to behold, I can't fathom why they don't wear them all the time. Also, it looks like Winslow isn;t wearing them in that game. If they reinstituted those beauties and kept that thinner pants stripe to go along with the current home, they'd have perfection.

You are right, he did not wear the correct socks for that game:

610x.jpg

He's not wearing any socks (except the white ones). You can see the seam of the Under Armour leggings up the inside of his leg. And I do believe it's black Under Armour at that. And I do believe that is an armpit showing, too. For me, I love the socks, hate the thin pant stripe, and don't really like or dislike the helmet, though I wouldn't ever want to see it full-time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Those are so close to what they currently wear that they may as well not even bother.

Yeah. Those are basically what the Browns wear now, minus the old helmet, the wordmark, AL patch, and different socks. Of all teams to do throwbacks, why the Browns? <_<

it looks like he had the socks on he just had black spats and folded the sock over with the orange stripes

uwv.pngtheU.png

I really hate it when guys wear matching color tights under their uniform and then just put on low white socks over it to look like they're wearing the real sock. In Kellen's case it's even worse cuz as you said, they're black. Why the hell is it so hard/undesirable to just wear the correct frigging socks? You can still pull em up or down, or even wear 2 pairs like Devin Hester. But c'mon guys, wear the ACTUAL socks at least. I think the league should be more strict about this, because it's part of the uniform. This trend needs to go the way of the tights in the NBA.

I would like to see the Browns for one game were the CB interlocking logo that they were going to introduce in the mid 60s but never used. heck if they can wear throwback helmets with numbers why not wear logo for one game.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I think the league should be more strict about this, because it's part of the uniform.

The NFL fines people for wearing the wrong type of wristband. Any more strict and we'd have a dictatorship going.

Use the throwback socks

Add brown stripes to the throwback helmet

Add TV Numbers to the throwback jersey

Use throwback Pants

Use throwback socks

Do that ^^ and the Browns unis will be perfection! (IMO)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived