A very, very rare Red Sox (?) cap

Swiss

And why are they selling hats targeted toward the "urban look" promoting marijuana? (besides making money, of course). Don't get me wrong, I had some fun in college, but isn't this really condoning it? If a guy wants to walk into a store and had one made, fine that should be his right, but for companies to market it themselves is morally questionable. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ drugs $$$$$$$$, do whatever kids.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Idk i really think we are at a forefront for decriminalizing marijuana in the next 10-30 years i think drastic changes will be made to this once illegal plant. People will one day see all the benefits that this alien plant can provide us.

The intent here sure seems to be making money. Where did you get that this was a parody?

Using parody as a defense does not necessarily mean that you can't be trying to make money. In any event, I think the bigger problem with claiming that this is a parody is that I don't think it is that obvious that it is a parody.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Â Â đŸ™ƒ

The intent here sure seems to be making money. Where did you get that this was a parody?

Using parody as a defense does not necessarily mean that you can't be trying to make money. In any event, I think the bigger problem with claiming that this is a parody is that I don't think it is that obvious that it is a parody.

It's not unlike a band appropriating a coffee logo for its t-shirts, or the Christian stores selling t-shirts with the Reese's logo fashioned into "Jesus," right?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's not unlike a band appropriating a coffee logo for its t-shirts, or the Christian stores selling t-shirts with the Reese's logo fashioned into "Jesus," right?

That's not a bad analogy. I just think that is isn't as clear at first glance that this is something other than a backwards Red Sox logo, which leads to greater likelihood of customer confusion. The other situtations are usually apparent fairly easily.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Â Â đŸ™ƒ

Legal or not, I think what they did to the logo is really clever.

If we can all celebrate how the Binghamton Whalers turned the Hartford Whalers logo on it's side to form a 'B', surely we can celebrate this.

Well, not quite. Birmingham did it to emphasize their connection with Hartford. Big difference.

The other major problem I have with it is that it doesn't read - I look at it and don't see the "a" and "g", but rather a backwards Boston "B".

I just really like it when people tinker with logos to change/subvert their meaning. I loved the Binghamton Whalers, I loved this, I liked this and I am fond of pretty much anything along those lines.

I immediately see the 'a' and 'G', but I can definitely see that not everyone would.

I like this hat so much I kinda want to buy one, even though I am the last guy who would go around advertising a strand of marijuana (that I had never even heard of prior to today).

"No stems no seeds that you don't need, Acapulco Gold is badass weed."- Cheech and Chong

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Parody is a fair use defense, but it can only be used once infringement has been proven. The important thing is that it is a "defense," not a "right." You can't just go around changing everyone's logo's a little, calling it a parody and get away with it. Fair use defense is kind of like saying, "yes we are infringing, but..." and courts don't have to let you off. Even with a fair use defense, you can end up owing damages.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I never suspected how good was going this thread.

Thank you for all the opinions here, it was instructive reading each point of view.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived