Who likes short shorts?

BJ Sands

The Lakers are wearing their throwbacks tonight, complete with 80's-style short shorts.

Meanwhile, the Celtics are wearing their throwbacks, but with baggy shorts.

A couple observations:

1. Ewww (especially Derek Fisher. I think I can see his tan line). The short shorts is one old uniform style I don't miss.

2. The Celtics shouldn't have worn their early-60s throwbacks against LA's Showtime-era duds.

The Lakers are wearing their throwbacks tonight, complete with 80's-style short shorts.

Meanwhile, the Celtics are wearing their throwbacks, but with baggy shorts.

A couple observations:

1. Ewww (especially Derek Fisher. I think I can see his tan line). The short shorts is one old uniform style I don't miss.

2. The Celtics shouldn't have worn their early-60s throwbacks against LA's Showtime-era duds.

Or as Dwayne Wade says in the t-mobile commercial: "Sexy!!!!!!!!!"

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

A couple of things I noticed. The numbers on the backs look too small, I swear they were larger back when these were the normal uniforms. The other thing I noticed especially with both Odom and Walton, the singe digits on the back look off center as I'm watching the game before putting in a movie.

that looks so un-natural. it seems to make them look less like great athletes and more like scrawny old dudes at a pick-up game. just my penny and penny. disturbing, and not just because i'm not gay. it just looks really wierd, un-professional even.

My favourite quote came from Kobe Bryant

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/bask...s.ap/index.html

Bryant wasn't thrilled about wearing the old-time shorts.

"I don't know what it feels like to wear a thong, but I imagine it feels something like what we had on in the first half," he said with a grin. "I felt violated. I felt naked. It's one thing to see films with guys wearing those things. ... I'd rather stay warm, man."

I saw, I came, I left.

I've always hated the short shorts and were glad they're gone, but in the essence of the "throwback", I give credit to the Lakers for coming extremely close to a true throwback. The baggy jerseys are the only thing really keeping it from being a full throwback.

And as much as I hate the Lakers, I give them many props for at least making the attempt so many other teams have not during this throwback craze. Even if it was for only half the game. Still ballsy... (for lack of a better term)

Kudos, my good men. And kudos again.

I grew up playing in the short shorts. Nobody questioned it. It was the fashion of the day. But it does look silly now.

However, the current XXXXX-L shorts are even more ridiculous--even if it is considered of the time.

Maybe a compromise between the two extremes will someday find its way onto the courts.

Archived