Arkansas State has narrowed it to three

footballfiji

Logo will be by Phoenix. Story is attached:

JONESBORO ? Arkansas State University is getting closer to picking a new mascot.

A committee responsible for presenting a new mascot for final approval has narrowed its choices to three concepts: Red Wolves, Ridge Riders and an Express Train idea.

Which would you pick as ASU's new mascot?

Red Wolves

Ridge Riders

Express Train

See the results without voting.

?We?re slowly narrowing our choices down, but I think it?s important ... to understand that we?re not there yet,? committee chairman Jim Pickens said. ?We?re still in the process of looking at maybe ... four or five different renderings for each one of those theme areas.?

The panel narrowed the choices to 12 about six weeks ago; about 1,500 suggestions were submitted by the public.

?Beautiful designs, a lot of designs that we can build on and that we can change and that we can modify if we want to? are what the committee seeks, committee member Carrie White said.

Jamie Skiles from Phoenix Design Works presented committee members with images that could be used with some of the mascot choices.

The university has to shed its Indians nickname and mascot to conform to NCAA regulations.

Skiles is to present more detailed imagery for the three nicknames the when the panel meets next on Jan. 30.

Pickens said the committee could pick a recommendation at the end of the month. But he said the work would likely last through February or longer.

?I came into this totally unbiased. I?m still not biased in this process. I don?t know what we need to do, but the underlying theme of the whole thing is we want a product that ASU can be proud of,? Pickens said.

Arkansas State fan Harry Harrell said he is pleased with the selection process and that he?s is excited at the prospect of the school getting a fresh mascot. He said he?s leaning toward one of the proposals.

?I like the train image because trains have been a byproduct of Arkansas State University since the founding in 1909. Nearly every student has been harassed or inconvenienced by a train,? Harrell said, laughing.

This article was published Saturday, January 5, 2008.

Link.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Red Wolves for two reasons:

1.) It's almost like law that if a team changes their nickname from an Native American name, the new nickname must be 'Red (anything that is used for nickname)'

And....

2.) It's the only one that makes any :censored:-ing sense!! Seriously, Ridge Riders?!? Why not just ask Sony for the go ahead and change it to Ridge Racers, eh? and don't get me started on Express Train... If that wins, common sense would be given a massive blow.

I voted for Red Wolves for two reasons:

1.) It's almost like law that if a team changes their nickname from an Native American name, the new nickname must be 'Red (anything that is used for nickname)'

And....

2.) It's the only one that makes any :censored:-ing sense!! Seriously, Ridge Riders?!? Why not just ask Sony for the go ahead and change it to Ridge Racers, eh? and don't get started on Express Train... If that wins, common sense would be given a massive blow.

Very true.....God forbid they call themselves the 'Arkansas State Wolves'. ^_^

Sigs are for sissies.

I'd personally like to see some NCAA school show the stupidity of this regulation by going in the exact opposite direction. I'd have personally contributed $25K to my alma mater had IUP gone from "Indians" to "Drunken Irishmen" or "Dumb Polacks" (there are a lot of Irish and Polish in the area) rather than "Crimson Hawks."

nav-logo.png

"Ridge Runners" I like. I also like "Ridge Raiders," which is what I originally read it to be. "Ridge Riders," not so very much. The others suck as well.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I'd vote for Red Wolves, with Ridge Riders (which I think will win) 2nd. Please, derail the x-press!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived