White Sox to wear throwbacks

CubsFanBudMan

Hopefully they'll get the names and numbers on the back right this time, but since it's Majestic, I wouldn't bet on it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I always thought that was a wacky look. But like all looks (even the Houston Astros 70s "Tequila Sunrise" look), it has been copied:

Back in the late/mid eighties, when I was visiting family on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, I remember watching a sports story on the news of the Pascagoula (MS) High School Panthers baseball team. They had unis based on this White Sox style, but instead of "SOX", they simply had the short form name of their town--"GOULA" emblazoned across the front. They looked pretty much like this:

Goula.JPG

A few years ago I asked my cousin, who had become a teacher and assistant baseball coach there, to see if he could find me one of those jerseys, but he had no luck.

It is what it is.

Those uniforms bring back fond memories . . .

. . . of the Orioles whipping up on the ChiSox in the ALCS before taking care of the Wheeze Kids in the World Series. Those were the (last of the) days.

God Bless Tito Landrum!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This quote from the message board blew me away-

Hopefully this will lead to getting away from the Oakland Raider look. The red/white of the Melton/Allen/Wood teams were nice. Also, the late 60's uniforms seemed to fit the team name better.

So the Oakland Raiders are the only professional sports team to lay claim to the silver/black color scheme? Good God.

IMHO, the Sox have one of the cleanest/classiest looks in the league, and it's really timeless. It's also much more unique to baseball than a red/white or navy/white or navy/red scheme would be.

Anyway, I'm psyched to see these badboys, with them selling so well the past few years it's about time they actually trotted em out for a few games.

Personally, I like those uniforms in a strange way. They're so remarkably strange that people (me) want to see them again, albeit for only a few games. I call this the 'Wildwing Effect.' :P

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

IMHO, the Sox have one of the cleanest/classiest looks in the league, and it's really timeless. It's also much more unique to baseball than a red/white or navy/white or navy/red scheme would be.

Agreed. And I just recently said as much in the BP thread.

I like these '83 unis, too. Although I think growing up watching the Sox in these makes me identify with them more. They don't look that odd to me, even though I realize they are.

. . . of the Orioles whipping up on the ChiSox in the ALCS before taking care of the Wheeze Kids in the World Series. Those were the (last of the) days.

Damn. You're old.

Damn. You're old.

Old enough to drive when that happened (though I happened to be on my way to work riding in a friend's car as Tito's blast reached the seats -- and we then proceeded to yell and scream for about 5 minutes).

I guess that makes me a Wheeze Kid now. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I like those unis a lot. I wonder if we'll see a return to some of the '80s styles. I know powder blue was a '70s trend but a lot of teams wore them in the '80s and we're seeing some teams return to that look. Personally i'd like to see the old maroon and powder blue look for the Phillies.

As for the '83 Sox unis, I like them a lot. They have that softball uniform look that makes it kinda quaint in my eyes.

Personally i'd like to see the old maroon and powder blue look for the Phillies.

Put the Orioles in the white-paneled cartoon bird hat (and an occasional orange jersey) and my blissful trip down memory lane would be complete.

I, too, hope the White Sox get away from the Raider look.

Sure, black and gray is rare in sports while navy and white-red is very common. But there's a reason for that. Navy and white-red is great looking while black and gray ... yuck.

I, too, hope the White Sox get away from the Raider look.

Sure, black and gray is rare in sports while navy and white-red is very common. But there's a reason for that. Navy and white-red is great looking while black and gray ... yuck.

Black and white, on the other hand, is a fantastic combination. The touch of gray they use here and there doesn't bother me.

Archived