Winter Classic at Yankee Stadium

pcgd

it could be beneficial for Chicago to host the game and get some exposure. They have a great crop of young talent, are going to be a good team in the near future. The NHL needs to market some new faces on the game, and Chicago is a market that has weakened substantially over the last few seasons. An event like this could be an excellent boost for the team, bring in interest and fans back to the team. Toews, Kane and Sharp will be big names soon, this game could be a great launching pad for their stardom

Why wouldn't they have Rangers/Isles or Rangers/Devils at Yankee Stadium.

They haven't decided anything. I was just thinking with all the Boston/New York battles that have taken place in that stadium for nearly 100 years, it might be kinda cool to see the same thing play out in hockey.

But any of the New York/New Jersey teams would be perfect for this game IMO.

Obviously... I'm an outsider from Ohio.

If it's about money, why wouldn't they play that Game in Giants Stadum? You could get 80,000 people. I guess I understand the "obvious" answer being "It's YANKEE FREAKIN' STADIUM, THAT'S WHY!!"

I just don't think the final event at Yankee Stadium should be a hockey game. Maybe, it would be cool if the Giants played a final game there. That at least has some significance since the Giants used to play there.

Looking at the wires for the last few weeks, I have found that every single town capable of holding ice has been rumored to be the host of an NHL outdoor classic. I would imagine that with Bettman at the helm, you have to get the feeling that this great idea will be overused and dried up within the next three years. It really is a shame. I would have loved to see one in Chicago in 09 followed by one in new york in '10. I doubt that this idea will still be around after the 13 they do next year in detroit, the meadowlands, toronto, the bronx, long island, buffalo, phiadelphia, pittsburgh, columbus, ottawa, hamilton, prince albert and Los angeles.

Looking at the wires for the last few weeks, I have found that every single town capable of holding ice has been rumored to be the host of an NHL outdoor classic. I would imagine that with Bettman at the helm, you have to get the feeling that this great idea will be overused and dried up within the next three years. It really is a shame. I would have loved to see one in Chicago in 09 followed by one in new york in '10. I doubt that this idea will still be around after the 13 they do next year in detroit, the meadowlands, toronto, the bronx, long island, buffalo, phiadelphia, pittsburgh, columbus, ottawa, hamilton, prince albert and Los angeles.

I was about to say... am I the only one feeling the novelty of an outdoor game wear off?

Just glad my homestate got to host one before it became "trendy."

Why wouldn't they have Rangers/Isles or Rangers/Devils at Yankee Stadium.

According to the Daily News article today the league will probably want a team from another market for TV ratings. With it Rangers-Devils or Rangers-Islanders you only get 1 market playing in the game. The Bruins make the most sense then considering the whole New York-Boston rivalry (although it really doesn't exist anymore in the NHL).

I think the original idea was to hold off on another outdoor game for a few year but this next season is the last chance to have it at this historic venue. Plus having it the last event ever that makes it a special event and not just another outdoor game.

If it's about money, why wouldn't they play that Game in Giants Stadum? You could get 80,000 people. I guess I understand the "obvious" answer being "It's YANKEE FREAKIN' STADIUM, THAT'S WHY!!"

Well it's because of TV. The last event in Yankee Stadium is a way of drawing in some more viewers where as Giants Stadium is just basically a repeat of last year in Buffalo. Also in addition the league doesn't exactly have the greatest relationship with the NJSEA, who owns and controls the current Giants Stadium. It has to do with the Devils move out of the Meadowlands and the fall out and fight from that that still continues.

Like illwauk said, I feel the novelty of the outdoor game is wearing off. The first one was great! Oilers-Canadiens, and even The Cold War (Michigan-Michigan State) was awesome! To me putting the time and money into getting an ice rink into a stadium is pointless, UNLESS you go bigger and better! Why bother putting a hockey game outside to get maybe double the crowd when you can put it in the Big House (like Elwood said) and get over 100,000 people there!

Does the last game in Yankee Stadium really mean jack squat if it's hockey? There's no history of hockey there, let the Yankees play the last game, it's been their stadium for 70+ years, let them have the honor. Giants Stadium would bring a bigger crowd and you could still have New York-Boston, or New York-New York or whoever you wanted! Bring a California team to the north and see how the fair on an outdoor rink!

I say they skip it next year and let people get re-excited about the outdoor game. One a year is too many. My suggestion. Save it, then hold the All-Star game on an outdoor rink in the near future (not sure what the all-star cities coming up are).

Canada would like to host another one of these events, please and thank you.

Canada doesn't need to grow its hockey fanbase.

Good point... I assume you'd be okay with the next six Super Bowls being played in Europe then (over-exaggerating a bit :))

You can have one out of every five.

And still pull in one-third of the total revenue of the events :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Like illwauk said, I feel the novelty of the outdoor game is wearing off. The first one was great! Oilers-Canadiens, and even The Cold War (Michigan-Michigan State) was awesome! To me putting the time and money into getting an ice rink into a stadium is pointless, UNLESS you go bigger and better! Why bother putting a hockey game outside to get maybe double the crowd when you can put it in the Big House (like Elwood said) and get over 100,000 people there!

Does the last game in Yankee Stadium really mean jack squat if it's hockey? There's no history of hockey there, let the Yankees play the last game, it's been their stadium for 70+ years, let them have the honor. Giants Stadium would bring a bigger crowd and you could still have New York-Boston, or New York-New York or whoever you wanted! Bring a California team to the north and see how the fair on an outdoor rink!

I say they skip it next year and let people get re-excited about the outdoor game. One a year is too many. My suggestion. Save it, then hold the All-Star game on an outdoor rink in the near future (not sure what the all-star cities coming up are).

As I said before Giants Stadium probably isn't an option considering one of the NHL's teams (with the NHL firmly behind them) is in a fight with the people who run Giants Stadium in trying to get the arena at the Meadowlands shut down.

And Yes I think a Winter Classic at Yankee Stadium is a draw and a special event. Yankee Stadium is more than just a baseball stadium (even though that's it's primary function) it is one of the most, if not the most, famous sporting venues in the US. I think the last event there would be a draw no matter what the event is.

I could only imagine...The final sporting event at Yankee Stadium is a hocky game.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

Michigan Stadium does not have lights and the renew does not include lights, so any game there will require lights. No lights is a reason why there are little 3:30 ABC games now. In addition, 100K hockey fans will want to have beer. U-M has a liquor license, but they and other schools will not open themselves for vicarious liability by selling beer at an one time event which they did not do before. Their food service vendor, Sedexho, SportService, Odgen, or Centerplate to name some, would never do that! Parking is another issue unless it is New Years Day.

It will wear off, but owners will accept a larger gate at all times. NHL owners are notorious for for thinking short term and if Bettman tells them about short term gains, they will take it.

I think they want the Rangers, if it were to happen, to play another Original 6 team.

I think a game at the Big House would be awesome. And as far as the lights, they played this year's game in the late morning/early afternoon, so the lights may not be a factor. I'm sure they could set up temporary lights near the ice for the players, and the fans could probably see well enough without stadium lights.

Archived