Big Ten Tournament logo

BroadSt_Bully

There is a team in the Big Ten that uses a dark blue light blue combo? or two tone green or purple? While watching the games, you don't see it for long enough to figure out what it is, which makes it not too good, to me anyways. I like the creativity, but I think there is too much going on.

The put the dark and light colors if your team had only one color and white.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

There are good and bad ways to follow convention. Personally, I think this is a good way. Maybe not as successful as it could be, but this is middle of the road, 6 or 7 out of 10 for me. It's strength is that it's totally different than anything we've seen in this genre of sporting event (a major NCAA conference basketball tournament). I like the idea and it's fairly attractive but there are some things I would change, especially with the layout and type choices, which I think are the weakest points. Shmee brought up a good topic that recently and relevantly deals with convention of this sort.

Gotta disagree with the OP. To me, it looks like the kind of logo that you see when they talk about the other cities that were finalists for the Olympics, but didn't actually get the games. Not impressed.

If the London 2012 logo is any indication, then the candidate cities usually have far better logos than the actual Olympic games. London 2012 is a bad way to break convention. It's so bad that hatred for it is not confined to the sports logo nerd faction of designers (which is very small, by the way) but rather it is despised by the entire graphic design community as a whole, save for the people who actually created it.

With London 2012, we weren't trying to create something pretty. We were trying to create something that made you sit up and take a breath. The brief was for people to think about the Olympics afresh. This isn't the skyline of a city where the Olympics are going to be held. It was never going to be a picture of someone vaulting Tower Bridge. It's intentionally raw; it doesn't sit there and asked (ask?) to be liked. We knew the work was going to invite comment because we were purposefully not following precedent. But we're very proud of it. We've answered the brief terribly well and we've produced something that is unique in this world...

It's never good when a designer or design team has to defend its work like that. I find this passage to be a perfect response.

Poor taste seems to be running rampant in our industry (and society). Blame it on the artists who create it, the art directors who publish it and the society that tolerates it. Poor taste, or even the lack of taste, has trickled down to the student level. This competition was no exception. Perhaps my mentality is old-fashioned; I still respect people. I miss common courtesies when they are not practiced, and I actually get offended when an artist's sole intent is to offend--or to visually terrorize.

Shock art is an illusion. It is used to disguise either poor execution or, even worse, poor ideas. It is akin to the magician who distracts your attention with one hand and performs his trick with the other. The act undervalues the the impact of pervasive imagery such as illustration, and it underestimates the intelligence of the general public. Aren't we all members of the general public, after all? Why can't quality imagery with intelligent ideas simply be enough?...

Just a little dialogue that I find applicable to this Big Ten tourney logo, London 2012 and also to the subject of breaking convention as a whole. Based on the principles illustrated in the dialogue, I think the Big Ten tournament logo is a constructive attempt at breaking precedent, while London 2012 strikes me as a lazy attempt at the same thing, being that it's entire intent and purpose is to, for lack of a better phrase, flip convention off and kick dirt in its face and not so much to actually represent the event and location for which it was commissioned.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There is a team in the Big Ten that uses a dark blue light blue combo? or two tone green or purple? While watching the games, you don't see it for long enough to figure out what it is, which makes it not too good, to me anyways. I like the creativity, but I think there is too much going on.

Green is Michigan State and purple I assume is Northwestern. I'm not sure about blue, but it's probably Penn State.

For the others, I'll take my guesses, starting at the blue-blue and working counterclockwise:

Penn State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Minnesota

Indiana

Wisconsin

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Purdue

Michigan State

I think it's a good logo, but so few of the colors are "accurate," it's alarming.

Green is Michigan State and purple I assume is Northwestern. I'm not sure about blue, but it's probably Penn State.

For the others, I'll take my guesses, starting at the blue-blue and working counterclockwise:

Penn State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Minnesota

Indiana

Wisconsin

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Purdue

Michigan State

I think it's a good logo, but so few of the colors are "accurate," it's alarming.

I think you're right, except that Wisconsin and Ohio State are to be flipped, since OSU's colors are scarlet and gray, leaving the Badgers with red and black

Haven't seen this posted here yet. It celebrates the fanfare and colors of the 11 member institutions with the illusion of a basketball net in the middle.

This is absolutely one of the best event logos I've ever seen.

1715329.jpeg

1715329.jpeg

I dig it. It looks like a basketball net when viewed from the top.

Hey, look! There's a bird's-eye view of basketball net in the middle of the logo!

:rolleyes:

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Love it.... excellent work. And as for the two-tone colors for NW, PSU and MSU, I like that idea MUCH better than what's usually done with merch for a signle color team... the annoying automatic addition of black or gray.

Except they probably should have used black for Northwestern since the Wildcats use it as part of their color scheme.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wondered why they did that. I assumed there was a reason, but I'm lazy, so I planned on pondering that query for the rest of my natural life. :)

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad you pointed it out. Any Michigan State or Northwestern alumni care to share?

Sigs are for sissies.

I wondered why they did that. I assumed there was a reason, but I'm lazy, so I planned on pondering that query for the rest of my natural life. :)

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad you pointed it out. Any Michigan State or Northwestern alumni care to share?

Still not that big of a fan, but wanted to weigh in that I don't why NU has two shades of purple. The logo only has on shade and they have been using black as a secondary color for sometime now.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

As an NU alum, we've started using black because I'd imagine it works well as a defining color to an already dark purple. And purple and black are not official school colors.

"Hail to Purple,

Hail to White,

Hail to thee,

Northwestern."

-Alma mater

I think you're right, except that Wisconsin and Ohio State are to be flipped, since OSU's colors are scarlet and gray, leaving the Badgers with red and black

Makes sense, since Wisconsin uses black as an accent in its color scheme (and has used black in its logos at least since the 1940s)

Archived