MLS Seattle To Choose Name Via On-Line Voting

Brian in Boston

As soon as I get the official Pantones for the Sounders, I'll be able to tell HOW close...

http://soundersfc.com/Article.aspx?id=1230

Sounder Blue (Pantone 647C)

A reference to Puget Sound and the water that surrounds Seattle, which helps define its citizens.

Blue signifies stability, strength and loyalty.

Rave Green (Pantone 370C)

Merriam-Webster Definition: rave (adj): c: to talk with extreme enthusiasm <raved about its beauty>

Green is a reference to the forests of the Pacific Northwest. It also represents the passionate, optimistic spirit of the community.

Cascade Shale (Pantone 433C)

Cascade is a reference to the spectacular range of mountains on Seattle?s eastern horizon.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As one of the masses who wrote-in "Sounders", I'm happy with today's news. As for the colors being similar to the Seahawks, one has to remember that the NASL Sounders had the green/light blue combination back in the days prior to the 'Hawks, though I can see why people would draw comparisons.

However, the Sounders' green is nowhere near as bright as the "neon" lime green currently used by the Seahawks.

I don't know...they're close:

SeattleSeahawks_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

As soon as I get the official Pantones for the Sounders, I'll be able to tell HOW close...

Sounder Blue (Pantone 647C), Rave Green (Pantone 370C) and Cascade Shale (Pantone 433C).

Union.png

Even I'm happy. This is about the best thing they could do. Seattle Sounders FC is one of those "Bolton Wanderers" style names...it's Euro, but it doesn't completely sound it. Traditional for all involved. Crest is solid, tie-ins...it's all there. Bravo.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Great job Seattle. This goes to show that the name doesn't have to be COMPLETELY euro-ized in order for it to work in MLS. Ties into the past while looking towards the future. Let's hope the Philadelphia peoples watch and see how to correctly name a team. (dance)

Thanks guys. I'm amazed how many times lately we're starting to see the Pantone colors listed in articles like these. Makes my job easier though (!).

And, it's also amazing how much different these colors look in reality as opposed to how they've looked in the unveiling:

SeattleSoundersFC_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

My mission in life is to educate people on color space and the usage of sRGB vs. Adobe RGB vs. CIE-L*ab...

My mission in life is to educate people on color space and the usage of sRGB vs. Adobe RGB vs. CIE-L*ab...

"Get used to disappointment." </dread_pirate_roberts>

Yeah - I know. But, it WILL be one of the objectives of the new site I'm developing that will replace the SSUR.

Love the name but why the love for the logo? To me this was obviously created for one of the other name options and they simply put the name Sounders into it. As much as I love the Space Needle, what does it have to do with the Puget Sound? It goes back to my old rant about the Padres logo and it being waves and abstract sail boats. Lot's to do with San Diego, nothing to do with Padres. Seems this logo is as bad, lot's to do with Seattle yet nothing to do with the Puget Sound. Let's hope it's a placeholder.

Love the name but why the love for the logo? To me this was obviously created for one of the other name options and they simply put the name Sounders into it. As much as I love the Space Needle, what does it have to do with the Puget Sound? It goes back to my old rant about the Padres logo and it being waves and abstract sail boats. Lot's to do with San Diego, nothing to do with Padres. Seems this logo is as bad, lot's to do with Seattle yet nothing to do with the Puget Sound. Let's hope it's a placeholder.

A Sounder is what I am, that is to say residents of the Puget Sound region are Sounders. That being said the Space Needle is an iconic symbol of Seattle and the greater Puget Sound region. We also could have done waves, trees, jumbo jets, steaming cups of coffee, floating bridges, ballistic missle submarines, db cooper, flying windows logos, melted guitars, flannel and doc martens, utilikilts, mountains, erupting mountains, etc etc etc....

If you were to remove Seattle from the crest and just have Sounders FC with the Space Needle, most people would know exactly where the team is from.

A Sounder is what I am, that is to say residents of the Puget Sound region are Sounders. That being said the Space Needle is an iconic symbol of Seattle and the greater Puget Sound region. We also could have done waves, trees, jumbo jets, steaming cups of coffee, floating bridges, ballistic missle submarines, db cooper, flying windows logos, melted guitars, flannel and doc martens, utilikilts, mountains, erupting mountains, etc etc etc....

If you were to remove Seattle from the crest and just have Sounders FC with the Space Needle, most people would know exactly where the team is from.

I've lived here for 19 years and have never heard of us as Sounders. I could be wrong but to me the look should have a better tie in to the actual Sound.

A team called the New York Apples could have a logo with the Statue of Liberty on it. If you took away New York most people would guess the team was from New York but that doesn't mean it is the best representation of a team called the Apples.

Count me as another person who doesn't consider himself a "Sounder." If I'm anything to this city and the region, I'm a Seattlite, but definitely not a Sounder.

The logo is decent enough, but I'm not too impressed by the Space Needle inclusion. Yeah, it's big and it's part of the area, but I'm kind of immune to it at this point. It's not really that tall or all that impressive in person and is pretty far away from Qwest Field and the rest of downtown. But, rack my brain as I might, I can't think of something that would be better. A Native art tie-in similar to what the Seahawks and a particular alt logo of the old Vancouver Canucks would be something I'd rather see, but I think a Native presentation of the Raven or something like that would be more confusing that anything else.

I don't know. I think that, in the end, the right name won out. However, the logo is pretty generic and unimaginative for the area. Someone else said it, and they're right -- the banner is just a placeholder for whatever name had been chosen. It doesn't make it a bad identity, just not a perfect one.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

A team called the New York Apples could have a logo with the Statue of Liberty on it. If you took away New York most people would guess the team was from New York but that doesn't mean it is the best representation of a team called the Apples.

True, but "Apples" has a very clear iconography to it, and "Sounder" doesn't. I suppose they could have gone with a sailing theme, but there's no real literal translation of it.

I don't have a problem with them incorporating the Needle into it, since there's no other major local team which uses it (as opposed to at least two teams which use native art imagery). Heck, since the Sonics might be on the verge of ceding their place in the local sports market as well as their Needle logo, maybe the Sounders can pick up both of them....

I think that is what they should do. I love everything they did, colors, logo, name, except the fact that "Sounders FC" doesn't seem to fit in the ribbon properly. Note the 'C' and the first 'S' appear to be closer to the bottom of the ribbon. Almost like the ribbon and the text have slightly different arc degrees.

(If any of this is even making any sense)

Archived