MLS Seattle To Choose Name Via On-Line Voting

Brian in Boston

I wonder if the colors have anything to do with the team playing in Quest Field. With the Seahawks calling it home exclusively, its no doubt covered in Navy, Pacific Blue, and Neon Green.

By selecting colors similar, they'll seem like they belong there...could be...I dunno.

I find it interesting that the colors are so close, yet aren't exact. Why not just match them exact?

I think dumping the forest green and baby blue/carolina blue/dennis blue combo that we saw in some earlier concepts was a mistake. It was a pretty unique scheme that fit very well to me.

Oh well.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone also throw up the Mariners' colors? Granted, they're mostly blue, silver, and white, but they also have elements of blueish green in their uniform set. Perhaps off-blue, off-green and white have become the Pittsburgh gold and black of Seattle. It's not altogether surprising, given the city flag:

250px-Flag_of_Seattle.svg.png

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Can someone also throw up the Mariners' colors? Granted, they're mostly blue, silver, and white, but they also have elements of blueish green in their uniform set. Perhaps off-blue, off-green and white have become the Pittsburgh gold and black of Seattle. It's not altogether surprising, given the city flag...

Can "someone"? C'mon now...you know better than that:

SeattleMariners_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

^_^

Can "someone"? C'mon now...you know better than that:

You're right. You are the color guy, but I didn't want to be presumptuous. But instead, I just looked like a doofus.

All on one screen:

SeattleSeahawks_FRC_9999_SOL.jpgSeattleSoundersFC_FRC_9999_SOL.jpgSeattleMariners_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

I think my original Seattle-as-Pittsburgh hypothesis is not without merit. Sure, the colors aren't as standardized as Steel City, but I think there's a case to be made for some synergy across the SoDo (the area where the baseball and football arenas stadiums are located) sports. The Mariners aren't nearly as well aligned as the Sounders -- I mean, Sounders FC -- and the Seahawks, but I think it's close enough.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like the single shield version above! That might be a nice secondary. I still don't mind the original though. I don't really understand some of the comments. If the Space Needle is in Seattle, Seattle is on/at the Pugent Sound... how is this logo not a good representation of Sounders? It represents Seattle for sure.

Unless that's more of the problem people have. "Too many Seattle event logos makes reference to the Space needle". Although, the Sounders are currently the only team to use it in a logo. That I do sort of get. Living in Cleveland it does get tiring that every event logo makes reference to a guitar. That's what happens though. Across the country you get labled with a so-called iconic identity. NY= Statue of Liberty, Miami= Palm Trees, SF= Golden Gate Bridge, Seattle= Space Needle, Toronto= CN Tower, Texas= Star, Arizona= cactus.... and so on...

Thank goodness they picked the right name. Let's hope this will start a trend for future MLS teams in cities where there are already well-established soccer identities (Vancouver, Montreal, etc.).

That would be cool. Maybe Montreal will adopt my wordmark concept.

MONTREAL

IMPACT

Back on topic, "Sounders FC" seems slightly redundant to me, since the original team name did not include the "FC". In any case, it is nice to see that the wishes of the fans were taken seriously.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Seahawks and the Sounders are at least partially owned by the same people, correct?

Yes - Paul Allen of Microsoft fame. He also owns the Trail Blazers.

Hmm.. I wonder if Microsoft will be the sponsor on the kits? Then we'll see if the Sounders can be the first thing with 'Microsoft' written on it that doesn't totally suck lol.

Jokes aside, I am so glad the fans were given a write-in option. They just had to use Sounders in some way. I love the crest design and colors too.

That would be cool. Maybe Montreal will adopt my wordmark concept.

MONTREAL

IMPACT

Back on topic, "Sounders FC" seems slightly redundant to me, since the original team name did not include the "FC". In any case, it is nice to see that the wishes of the fans were taken seriously.

I'm tired (pain-in-the-rear parent conference after a horrible day at school will do it to you), so that makes it that much funnier.

postofday.png

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

A team called the New York Apples could have a logo with the Statue of Liberty on it. If you took away New York most people would guess the team was from New York but that doesn't mean it is the best representation of a team called the Apples.

True, but "Apples" has a very clear iconography to it, and "Sounder" doesn't. I suppose they could have gone with a sailing theme, but there's no real literal translation of it.

I don't have a problem with them incorporating the Needle into it, since there's no other major local team which uses it (as opposed to at least two teams which use native art imagery). Heck, since the Sonics might be on the verge of ceding their place in the local sports market as well as their Needle logo, maybe the Sounders can pick up both of them....

I can see your point but to me a "Sounder", although not as clear iconography wise, at least should have something to do with the water, the sea. The Space Needle would be great for a generic Seattle name or a name that had to do with the World's Fair.

Maybe this is more like having a team called the New York Atlantic and their logo being the Empire State building. You can make the reach but a little thought and creativity could come up with a much better solution.

Quick rough of a concept I think could work. OK, some might take it too literal and ask why is the Needle sinking but I think it says Seattle and Puget Sound nicely. Obviously much more refinement is needed but I think something along these lines could solve the issue I have with there being no reference to the Sound in the logo graphic.

sounderswave.jpg

OK, some might take it too literal and ask why is the Needle sinking but I think it says Seattle and Puget Sound nicely.

sounderswave.jpg

That was my first thought. It would work for those people who believe the idea that global warming is going to cause the seas to rise and flood the coastlines though.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

It would work for those people who believe the idea that global warming is going to cause the seas to rise and flood the coastlines though.

You mean scientists? The White House? Those guys?

Or if you mean everybody, then that's certainly a large enough group from which to draw your fanbase....

It would work for those people who believe the idea that global warming is going to cause the seas to rise and flood the coastlines though.

You mean scientists? The White House? Those guys?

Or if you mean everybody, then that's certainly a large enough group from which to draw your fanbase....

You don't speak for ME there, Sparky.

<_<

Archived