MLS Seattle To Choose Name Via On-Line Voting

Brian in Boston

Just because a name has some history doesn't necessarily mean it should be used every time. The Nashville Predators could have been the Dixie Flyers, the Knights, or the South Stars, but they chose to go in a different direction. While I love all three of those names, I can't fault them for going in a different direction when getting on a grander stage.

You're comparing "apples and oranges".

* The Sounders name is about to enter its 25th season gracing professional soccer in Seattle. None of the team names you mentioned lasted longer than 9 seasons in Nashville.

* For 10 seasons the Seattle Sounders name was utilized by teams competing in the North American Soccer League - the major-league level of professional soccer in the United States and Canada at the time. Ditto for the 1994 American Professional Soccer League and 1995 A-League seasons that were contested before Major League Soccer's arrival on the North American sports landscape. The Nashville Dixie Flyers, South Stars and Knights all competed at the minor-league level in ice hockey.

* In Seattle, use of the Sounders name would seamlessly segue from the 2008 USL-1 squad to the 2009 MLS team, making for an uninterrupted transition. When NHL play began in Nashville in time for the 1998-99 season, the Knights name would have been unused for 3 years... the South Stars brand would have been unused for 12 years... and the Dixie Flyers name would have gone unused for 18 years.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you are correct, what you failed to see is that just as Sounders is associated with Seattle football, the names listed for Nashville are associated with Nashville hockey in the past.

Its not apples to oranges...............the level of league that used the nicknames is irrelevant.

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

While you are correct, what you failed to see is that just as Sounders is associated with Seattle football, the names listed for Nashville are associated with Nashville hockey in the past.Its not apples to oranges...............the level of league that used the nicknames is irrelevant.
Actually it is...none of those names achieved the level of continuous use IIRC that the Sounders moniker had in Seattle.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hrm. Good points on both sides I suppose. And Brian, I'm impressed at the numbers, and I also did not know there was such a hiatus between the Knights and the Preds--I was under the impression that the Knights pretty much played here until the Predators played their first season. (Of course, the building of the GEC may have played a part in the time frames. Also, some research on my part could clear that up for me, but it's really irrelevant to the current topic anyway.)

I don't disregard the continuous history of the Sounders, or of the previous top-flight associations. Notwithstanding, in my mind the Sounders' brand is primarily associated with minor league assoc. football in Seattle, and currently in use or not it still has connections to teams of the city's past. I'm not saying the situations are identical. However, I feel like there's enough here to justify my feelings.

For once, I'm not feeling like arguing. You've got some good points, I agree. However, I still don't feel like "Seattle Sounders" has to be the be-all end-all name for this team. If it wins, I'm not going to be overly upset, but I also won't be too irritated if it doesn't personally. Just the two well-worn wheat cents.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

They missed such an obvious option, EMERALD CITY. It has the euro flair (Manchester City, etc.) but is uniquely Seattle. Too bad.

I agree and wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the name. Like the Houston fiasco, I have a strong feeling that this will be revisited before it's all said and done. Also, the nickname "Greens" for Emerald City FC fits like a glove in this enviro-friendly region.

Last night during Fox Soccer Channel's MLS opening-night coverage, one of the announcers was flogging the Emerald City FC name.

As for "Greens", notice that green is already a prominent color on the MLS Seattle Web site, so that nickname may end up fitting no matter what the official name is.

CCSLC signature.png

Is anyone else concerned that the voting, which was all done electronically, will take 1 week to count? The result should have been revealed as soon as voting ended. Seems ripe for a "we'll appease them but do what we want anyway" type of deal. Maybe it's just me.

My understanding is that they've had designers working on concepts for a number of potential team identities for quite some time. If Seattle Sounders was one of those brands being considered, there is the distinct possibility that a Sounders-centric logo was already in the works.

By the way, the latest rumors out of Seattle are that the team is going to be named Seattle Sounders FC and that the Space Needle will figure prominently in the logo. Make of that what you will.

By the way, the latest rumors out of Seattle are that the team is going to be named Seattle Sounders FC and that the Space Needle will figure prominently in the logo. Make of that what you will.

I understand the Space Needle thing, but why do people in Seattle love Paul Winfield so much?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

... why do people in Seattle love Paul Winfield so much?

You've fallen prey to a common misconception, Lee.

While Mr. Winfield is as revered in Seattle as he is anywhere else in the world, I think you'll find that the city's soccer teams have historically been named after groups of wild boars (sus scrofa).

I'd have thought that the owner of the Vancouver Ham Fighters would know that.

Don't know. A week isn't enough time to come up with anything more than a rough draft for the logo.

Unless they're really on the ball, or they're working on preliminary designs using the proposed names.

I was more simply talking about revealing the name of the team. Not looking for the logo/id yet, just want to know the name.

That being said, I do know that logos for all of the options have already been created except for the write in options.

... why do people in Seattle love Paul Winfield so much?

You've fallen prey to a common misconception, Lee.

While Mr. Winfield is as revered in Seattle as he is anywhere else in the world, I think you'll find that the city's soccer teams have historically been named after groups of wild boars (sus scrofa).

I'd have thought that the owner of the Vancouver Ham Fighters would know that.

I'm from Winnipeg. Whenever you disagree with me, or have cause to question my logic, just remember that one, simple fact.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Just bumping this to the top. In about 5 minutes, we'll know the identity. The announcement is at the Space Needle. Has me thinking that the Needle will be incorporated in to the identity package.

SeattleSoundersFC.net is registered

Along with SoundersFC.net and SoundersFC.com

Archived