New AHL Teams

kiwi_canadian

Hadn't heard the Iowa name change before, but "Texas Stars" has been floating around awhile as the potential name of the new Austin team.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hadn't heard the Iowa name change before, but "Texas Stars" has been floating around awhile as the potential name of the new Austin team.

I'm sure nothing is official with the Iowa team name, but being that the rumored name for the Austin franchise is the Texas Stars, it's probably a good guess that Iowa will change identities.

"Future teams

Texas Stars ? (begin play in 2009 or 2010) Dallas Stars' farm team.

Iowa Stars - name change to Iowa Thunder (begin playing in 2008) (Affiliates soon to be named)"

Future Teams

Does anyone know about this? Any logos available yet?

Well, the Texas Stars' wikipedia page leads us to this article:

The hockey team will be called the Texas Stars.

I doubt the Austin Ice Bats are too thrilled about this

The Ice Bats have known about this for a while and have been playing in a rink that sits about 1,900. Not exactly the most profitable. They have been looking into moving to Beaumont.

I've seen a news article about Thunder possibly being the new name, but nothing official.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I doubt the Austin Ice Bats are too thrilled about this

The Ice Bats have known about this for a while and have been playing in a rink that sits about 1,900. Not exactly the most profitable. They have been looking into moving to Beaumont.

I've seen a news article about Thunder possibly being the new name, but nothing official.

That would work since the Texas Wildcatters are leaving Beaumont to go to Ontario, CA

"Future teams

Iowa Stars - name change to Iowa Thunder (begin playing in 2008) (Affiliates soon to be named)"

Future Teams

Yeah, Iowa will be the Ducks' affiliate most likely next year and they will be called the Thunder.

This has been told to me by an insider with the Ducks current AHL affiliate in Portland

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Yeah, Iowa will be the Ducks' affiliate most likely next year and they will be called the Thunder.

This has been told to me by an insider with the Ducks current AHL affiliate in Portland

So, the Sabres would hook up with Portland, then? And where would the Stars go for their one-year partial affiliation? Perhaps San Antonio?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, the Sabres would hook up with Portland, then? And where would the Stars go for their one-year partial affiliation? Perhaps San Antonio?

That's the rumor here in Buffalo.

I assume the Stars would have their team play in the old Wildcatters arena until their new one is ready. I'm pretty sure the AHL grandfathered the "no dual affiliation" in a couple years ago. Since the Sabres left Rochester after this year, that means the rule is in full effect.

"Future teams

Future Teams

Out of respect to NHL and AHL teams that are currently competing in post-season play, no further announcements or comments will be made pertaining to a new NHL affiliation or name change until after the completion of the Calder Cup and Stanley Cup Finals.

I'm sure nothing is official with the Iowa team name, but being that the rumored name for the Austin franchise is the Texas Stars, it's probably a good guess that Iowa will change identities.

You never know. I mean there are two teams called the Admirals.

"Future teams

Future Teams

With a name like thunder they should be affiliated by the Tampa Bay Lightning

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That's the rumor here in Buffalo.

I assume the Stars would have their team play in the old Wildcatters arena until their new one is ready. I'm pretty sure the AHL grandfathered the "no dual affiliation" in a couple years ago. Since the Sabres left Rochester after this year, that means the rule is in full effect.

I believe you are confused. The Stars AHL team will not be in Beaumont (former home of the Wildcatters), the current CHL Austin team might. The AHL Stars will not be playing in Beaumont.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 2 months later...

My proposal for a name:

IOWA REAPERS

Reason: Tribute to the state's agricultural heritage, but also makes for a cool logo. You could have the Grim Reaper using his sickle as a hockey stick!

v40P3lq.png

Archived