Original Thrashers and Blue Jackets Colors

TruColor

As we all know, logo designs and color schemes can get tweaked from the time they are first unveiled, and when they actually play for real (hello, Colorado Rockies!). The Atlanta Thrashers and Columbus Blue Jackets are two more examples of this phenomenon.

The Thrashers originally intended for two of their colors to be metallics - the "Bronze" and the "Copper". Here is a comparison of the original logo, and then the eventual logo - re-colored with a darker Red and Orangey-brown in place of the Bronze and Copper:

AtlantaThrashers_LogoCompare.gif

Side note: The Thrashers originally called the darker color "Georgia Bronze" when this was unveiled...does anyone know if they still call it that?

With the Blue Jackets, they eventually changed the darker Blue and Red before hitting the ice:

ColumbusBlueJackets_LogoCompare.gif

Just more crap that I - for some reason - care about.

Hmm. Interesting.

I remember buying a baseball cap when they announced the team identity. The logo was a LOT closer to the one on the left, as I recall.

seeing that bug again makes me so very, very happy that they switched to the star and Ohio flag logo they have now.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

so that's why so much of the Blue Jackets apparel that they were selling before the team played was light blue. I had a light blue sweatshirt with the stinger logo on the front.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Thrashers and Blue Jackets both made wise decisions.

Just more crap that I - for some reason - care about.

Nah uh. I don't post here too often but I love reading about details like these.

Agreed!

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

What is this Rockies switch you speak of Pantone?

The original Rockies logo that was unveiled and then later tweaked.

I was too young at the time to remember that, you happen to have the pics of the old one?

seeing that bug again makes me so very, very happy that they switched to the star and Ohio flag logo they have now.

While I preferred the 2000-2001 colors, I always loved Stinger. I don't have any logical ties to Columbus to speak of, but the Blue Jackets t-shirt and cap that I own - each featuring Stinger - are prized possessions.

What is this Rockies switch you speak of Pantone?

The original Rockies logo that was unveiled and then later tweaked.

I was too young at the time to remember that, you happen to have the pics of the old one?

i remember that one...the ROCKIES lettering and the mountain were basically the same as they are now. the baseball was significantly smaller, though, and the arch that reads COLORADO was silver and used smaller sans-serif letters. I have a Dante Bichette card where this logo was used, I'll try to dig it up.

edit: apparently I don't have the Bichette anymore...i do have a Scott Aldred, but the pic I took of it is so blurry I may as well not post it

edit again: nevermind, Creamer beat me to it

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hmm. Interesting.

I remember buying a baseball cap when they announced the team identity. The logo was a LOT closer to the one on the left, as I recall.

They never should've eliminated the green.

Geez, the old Rockies logo looks so much cleaner. The smaller ball made the team namesake more of the focal point and made the logo not as cluttered, the gray provided some nice contrast, and the font for "Colorado" was much more subtle and not overbearing. What could have been.

VmWIn6B.png

Original Rockies logo

2802.gif

Rockies logo they switched to

746.gif

First off, thanks for the interesting insights into the Bluejackets and Thrashers logo. It almost hurts to look at the original Bluejackets logo next to the much-improved final version. What a difference the colors make! For the Thrashers, I'd have to see the differences in fabric to really tell what was what, so I'll reserve judgment. Somehow I just cannot quite picture what they were going for with the metallics.

As for the Rockies, the final logo holds together better as a composition. But I've always much preferred the way the ball, the mountain, and the arc around and "behind" the mountain were handled on the original Rockies logo.

20082614447.png

I'm going to take a guess and say the reason why the Rockies changed their logo was because #1. the silver arch with purple lettering on a white background gets washed out where as the black arch with silver lettering pops off white paper/screen more, and #2 the ball in the second one is much more dynamic and interesting and composition wise is better. The first logo with the ball dead center is 100% completely boring and actually gives the appearance that the ball has hit its peak and is ready to fall, whereas the ball in the second logo is still ascending. It's little things like that make one logo good and another great. I'd make mention of the colors, but I'm not sure if the two colors are suppose to be the same or different. I mean we see all the time the same logo seem to have 15 different shades/hues/tints of the same color on 15 different sites.

Archived