Braves wearing alternate hats

JayJaxon

The blue jerseys are used in Sunday road games but have been used to break losing streaks "caused" by the grey jerseys.

Sunday's eh? A day the Jays always break out the black... that'll be an ugly matchup.

It won't happen. MLB decreed that teams cannot wear similar-colored jerseys in the same game. Lukas mentioned this a while back. I don't remember who was going to wear their dark alternate, but the A's broke out the black ones so that team had to change. And the Astros were forced to wear grey against either Arizona's brick in Phoenix or Cincinnati's red in Cincy (I don't remember which).

And that was the one and only time the Astros wore the greys this year. The decision comes from ownership: wear the bricks on the road, because Drayton McLane likes them. They only change to greys on the road in the case of an MLB-mandated alternate clash. The Astros are so committed to the bricks as the regular road jersey they didn't bother to order grey COOL BASE jerseys. The only set they have is the road bricks. Everything other jersey they wear is doubleknit.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The blue jerseys are used in Sunday road games but have been used to break losing streaks "caused" by the grey jerseys.

Sunday's eh? A day the Jays always break out the black... that'll be an ugly matchup.

It won't happen. MLB decreed that teams cannot wear similar-colored jerseys in the same game. Lukas mentioned this a while back. I don't remember who was going to wear their dark alternate, but the A's broke out the black ones so that team had to change. And the Astros were forced to wear grey against either Arizona's brick in Phoenix or Cincinnati's red in Cincy (I don't remember which).

Unfortunately that rule didn't prevent this ugliness from happening on April 8th.

2404274765_4685108798.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Unfortunately that rule didn't prevent this ugliness from happening on April 8th.

2404274765_4685108798.jpg

Hey, they were curteous enough to not wear their black jerseys, what more do you want?

(Note: Intense sarcasm has plagued this post.)

back to the topic on hand , I have been a Braves fan since the days of Dale Murphy. I actually been WANTING a cap with the blue bill for ever. Back then I had wish the Braves would come out with some type of alt. Hey, I like alts, SO KILL ME! (if done right of coarse, not adding black if black isn't a team color) But they disappointed me when they came out with the 'yuck' red alt with the 'yuck' tomahawk cap. I barf when I saw that and wanted to shoot the person who give the green light on that set. This year however, the blue alt is alright nothing great IMHO. But GOD I feel in love with the blue bill hat. I don't know why. The only other hat to have just a white letters and all navy blue cap are the Yankees. Also the cap feels old school like the hats Dale use to wear. I know the red bill is the best but I love the fact the Braves might make this an away hat. I got my blue bill Braves hat last week!

They're wearing the same combination tonight. As long as they keep winning on the road with the all navy hats and the regular road unis, they're gonna keep wearing them. I guarantee you, if they lose tonight they're probably gonna wear the regular road hats with the navy alternates for the duration of the road trip.

They're wearing the same combination tonight. As long as they keep winning on the road with the all navy hats and the regular road unis, they're gonna keep wearing them. I guarantee you, if they lose tonight they're probably gonna wear the regular road hats with the navy alternates for the duration of the road trip.

And there's the loss- didn't take long. That's 7-19 on the road, 2-15 1-Run. I'm sick of it.

At least it'll be back to the red bill hat tomorrow...

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

And that was the one and only time the Astros wore the greys this year. The decision comes from ownership: wear the bricks on the road, because Drayton McLane likes them. They only change to greys on the road in the case of an MLB-mandated alternate clash. The Astros are so committed to the bricks as the regular road jersey they didn't bother to order grey COOL BASE jerseys. The only set they have is the road bricks. Everything other jersey they wear is doubleknit.

I have a mental image of old Drayton firing pistols in the air when he's happy or angry. I hope this image is an accurate one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The thing about that is, earlier this week, we had the Indians in navy against the White Sox in black, which suggests this "rule" might be on a par with the one giving a time limit for pitches.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As a Braves fan who loves their home and road sets, the traditional game cap, and even the Tom-"A"-hawk alt cap, I'm surprised at how much I actually like the all navy cap with the road grays. The all-navy jersey needs a lot of work, but it could be okay. To me, the red tops don't need as much work to be good--they do need some work, but they're pretty solid IMO.

I think I just like the all-navy as a road cap because it's different. As a fairly neo-minded, alternate-backing semi-modernist in terms of some uniform trends, I like for teams to have multiple caps and at least one alt/throwback. It bothers me that in this day and age a team in the highest level of a sport only go with, say, one cap design, rather than (at least) home and road...or patently refuse alternates...or (in other sports) don't have helmet logos (as I've ranted before), etc. Why hide behind tradition when you can also make a new one--especially when you take the time and effort to do it well?

That said, I personally think the almost-throwback hats pair tastefully with the roads, but that may be just me. I also see how silly it is to not wear the same cap on the road that TBS showed fans for many of those 30 years worth of games, making Braves fans all over the country, but that's the marketing purist that I'm trying to shut up for aesthetics' sake.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Likewise I wish the Astros would figure out how to wear gray on the road rather than those damn brick ones THEY wear 9 out of 10 games.

Try 79 out of 81. They won't wear gray unless the home team has a red alternate (Diamondbacks, Reds). They play the Reds in Cincy on a Sunday in August, which is the one day of the week the Reds wear the red alts. Houston wore gray one game in Arizona earlier this year, to answer the question of someone earlier.

Likewise I wish the Astros would figure out how to wear gray on the road rather than those damn brick ones THEY wear 9 out of 10 games.

Try 79 out of 81. They won't wear gray unless the home team has a red alternate (Diamondbacks, Reds). They play the Reds in Cincy on a Sunday in August, which is the one day of the week the Reds wear the red alts. Houston wore gray one game in Arizona earlier this year, to answer the question of someone earlier.

The Houston gray jerseys will also make an appearance on July 6th in Atlanta, thanks to the Braves having that lousy red jersey of their own to wear....

The thing about that is, earlier this week, we had the Indians in navy against the White Sox in black, which suggests this "rule" might be on a par with the one giving a time limit for pitches.

I suspect that there are some equipment managers who care about the rules (like the one in Oakland who specifically mentioned the rule and wouldn't lay out the black alts and the one in Houston who followed the rules in AZ) and some who only follow the exact lettering (like the Chicago equipment manager, who I suspect said, "Well, Navy isn't Black".) It's just like anything else. Some people care and some think the rules only apply to others.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Houston gray jerseys will also make an appearance on July 6th in Atlanta, thanks to the Braves having that lousy red jersey of their own to wear....

And just to spite them for not ordering the Cool Base jerseys, I hope its about 105 in Atlanta that day.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Today they're wearing their road alts with their regular cap. I guess it goes alright given the red tomahawk on the jersey.

The tomahawk is blue (just like the red jersey), but I assume you are referring to the trim on the logo:

pMLB2-4680558dt.jpg

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Archived