Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OKC updated their website. No longer does it say "Seattle SuperSonics", now it says "Oklahoma City" with the "NBA OKC" logo in the upper left hand corner.

http://www.nba.com/sonics/#

That URL also directs you to its new URL: www.nba.com/oklahomacity

There are still Sonics references throughout the site... the "Schedule" page for instance has a number where you can order "Sonics tickets"

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

it is just so weird that Seattle Supersonics are no more. that is all. the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

How is that a bad thing? While I have been less than an avid follower of the NBA for quite some time, I would still like to have another team. I think most people across the league would agree that it makes more sense to have a team in Seattle than Oklahoma City, if you are able to get past arena and political issues. A few years from now, those issues could be cleared up. But the talk around here is that it will be a long time before the NBA comes back.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

How is that a bad thing? While I have been less than an avid follower of the NBA for quite some time, I would still like to have another team. I think most people across the league would agree that it makes more sense to have a team in Seattle than Oklahoma City, if you are able to get past arena and political issues. A few years from now, those issues could be cleared up. But the talk around here is that it will be a long time before the NBA comes back.

Wasn't the problem with the Sonics more to do with the Local and State Governments than it was in the fanbase? Sure, they can be fickle, but the fanbase is as fickle for the Mariners and Seahawks, two organizations the governments bent over for.

Wasn't the problem with the Sonics more to do with the Local and State Governments than it was in the fanbase? Sure, they can be fickle, but the fanbase is as fickle for the Mariners and Seahawks, two organizations the governments bent over for.

That's the underlying issue as far as I'm concerned. The city and state governments bent over backwards to build Safeco and Qwest, and yet decided to now all the sudden put their collective feet down and not cave to the Sonics. I don't see how you can justify what is clearly preferential treatment for two other franchises and then act betrayed when another franchise can't make anything work and decides to move on to greener pastures.

Besides, let's keep in mind that the Seahawks actually moved to Anaheim for a few days before being forced to move back with the daily fines being assessed, and that the city lost the Pilots due to the governments not arranging a permanent stadium in time. I don't at all blame the team for moving... I put the blame solely on the governments who thought they could play chicken but ended up losing.

VmWIn6B.png

Well, keep in mind that when Stern started on his "build a new arena or you'll lose your team", the place they were playing in was less than a decade old. So you can't really blame the city for not being thrilled at the prospect of another huge bill.

If indeed there is any blame to go around, I place it firmly on the new owners, who lied about moving the team when they bought it.

They spent $75 million to upgrade the place in 1994. It addressed the problems at the time, but apparently lacked the number of luxury boxes etc that teams want in 2008.

Of course, that argument is moot when you consider they were bought to be moved. Makes ownership's crying poor over stadium issues just a little hollow.

Absolutely true. I was just looking ata revenue sheet for Key arena, in 1998 (most recent data I found) Expenses were $13,956,812 and the total income was $13,185,311 for a net loss of $771,501. That is before paying out the renovation fund which was another $665,000 so in 1998 Key arena lost just over $1.4million.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:a60bq...lient=firefox-a

it is just so weird that Seattle Supersonics are no more. that is all. the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

Only if they build a new arena. Which isn't happening. (What? Don't tell me you buy that bull about "renovate Key Arena and you'll get a new team.")

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Only if they build a new arena. Which isn't happening. (What? Don't tell me you buy that bull about "renovate Key Arena and you'll get a new team.")

well it is a legal agreement that if they approve the funding to do so, then they would be considered for a new team. I personal;ly think it's more likely than not that a new team will be there soon. 32 is a better number than 30.

That's the underlying issue as far as I'm concerned. The city and state governments bent over backwards to build Safeco and Qwest, and yet decided to now all the sudden put their collective feet down and not cave to the Sonics. I don't see how you can justify what is clearly preferential treatment for two other franchises and then act betrayed when another franchise can't make anything work and decides to move on to greener pastures.

Besides, let's keep in mind that the Seahawks actually moved to Anaheim for a few days before being forced to move back with the daily fines being assessed, and that the city lost the Pilots due to the governments not arranging a permanent stadium in time. I don't at all blame the team for moving... I put the blame solely on the governments who thought they could play chicken but ended up losing.

The city and state bent over backwards for the Seahawks and M's. Then I-91 passed. No more tax subsidies for sports teams.

It's funny how if you listen to Stern's comments back in '95, he loved Key Arena.

Blame for this bungle can be shared by Schultz for selling the team, Bennett for lying, and Washington government for their supreme lack of intelligence.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I Watching Summer League in Orlando, and the commentator say Oklahoma City Thundercats. Maybe this is the name of this team?

No, those Summer League announcers were just calling them that. The SL announcers are hilarious, BTW, they stay making jokes throughout the games. They were calling them a bunch of different things.

They also said Tyrus Thomas eats souls and at one point I could've swore I heard them call Mario Chalmers "Superintendent Chalmers."

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Blame for this bungle can be shared by Schultz for selling the team, Bennett for lying, and Washington government for their supreme lack of intelligence.

At least Schultz recognizes that he was lied to, and is trying to do something about it. That's the best shot Seattle has at getting another team.

Archived