Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

I just don't like the name Oklahoma City for a team, I feel like nothing catchy or good goes with it.

Well yeah, the Oklahoma City 'Oklahoma City' doesnt seem like an appealing name to me either. :P

Sound like the obvious solution is for them to change the name of the city. Might help with the marketing, too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't like the name Oklahoma City for a team, I feel like nothing catchy or good goes with it.

Well yeah, the Oklahoma City 'Oklahoma City' doesnt seem like an appealing name to me either. :P

Sound like the obvious solution is for them to change the name of the city. Might help with the marketing, too.

Well yeah but the name still isnt plural. And that seemed to be unfavorable too.

That sounds like a whole separate thread. What forum should should that go in?

Until that thread is up and running, I would suggest "Metropolis." It sounds very urbane and modern.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Until that thread is up and running, I would suggest "Metropolis." It sounds very urbane and modern.

Already taken by that huge city in Kansas. There's a whole show about it on the CW network, but primarily focuses on one of its suburbs - Smallville.

(I love that show, even though it has seen better days.)

Already taken by that huge city in Kansas. There's a whole show about it on the CW network, but primarily focuses on one of its suburbs - Smallville.

(I love that show, even though it has seen better days.)

If you pay attention to the comics, that huge city is actually in Delaware.

Sigs are for sissies.

If we need to realign the NBA, it should be done this way:

ATLANTIC: Boston, Brooklyn(If the Nets ever get their act together), New York Knicks, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington

SOUTHEAST: Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando

CENTRAL: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota

MIDWEST: Dallas, Denver, Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah

PACIFIC: Golden State, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento

Schedule: 6 games versus your divisional mates. 2 games against everyone else with an additonal game based on divisional finish.

Playoff format: Divisional winners and the next 11 teams based on W-L record qualify.

1st Round: 2-game, total-points(Higher seed host 2nd game)

Quarterfinals: Best-of-3(1-2)

Semifinals: Best-of-5(2-2-1)

NBA Finals: As currently formatted.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

ATLANTIC: Boston, Brooklyn(If the Nets ever get their act together), New York Knicks, Philadelphia, Toronto

PACIFIC: Golden State, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento

Schedule: 6 games versus your divisional mates. 2 games against everyone else with an additonal game based on divisional finish.

Playoff format: Divisional winners and the next 11 teams based on W-L record qualify.

I assume the Wiz would be in the Atlantic.

ATLANTIC: Boston, Brooklyn(If the Nets ever get their act together), New York Knicks, Philadelphia, Toronto

I think it's funny you put all the teams one usually refers to as the major Midwest cities in the Central while the Midwest Division has teams from Texas.

Terrible terrible terrible.

Can't have the Thundercats, the NBA already has the Bobcats. Personally I like the Oklahoma City Aviators.

Who says you can't have the Thundercats, because of the Bobcats? Granted Thundercats is a horrible nickname, but they are both different identities just linked to being feline in nature. Anywho...I am rooting for the OKC Thunderbirds.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Terrible terrible terrible.

I like your reasoning with the divisions. It really eliminates the Conference parity, but I would leave the Playoff format the same with 7 game series. There is too much money tied into a potential 7 game series.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

All of these domain names have been reigstered to one Mr. Brian Campbell:

oklahomacitybarons.com

oklahomacitycyclones.com

Oklahomacitydrillers.com

Oklahomacityoutlaws.com

oklahomacitythunder.com

oklahomacitythunderbirds.com

Oklahomacitytwisters.com.

I sure hope Mr. Campbell is from Seattle. I wonder with all of the super tech savy Sonics fans here, if the OKC team will encounter "problems" with their web name, web site etc.

You're talking about a guy who just dropped $75 million above and beyond what he already paid to get the team, just to move it two years ahead of schedule. I'm sure those problems won't exist for long.

I was actually referring to "problems" of a technical, site going down, misinformation appearing on their site sort of situation.

1) Money talks...either they hire a crackerjack web admin, or just buy off the hackers.

2) Seek legal action against the hackers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There can be a way to connect the Sonics nickname to the new one.

Sonics --> Sonic Boom --> Boomers (Boomer Sooners)

Granted it's a dumb name, but it makes sense at least.

Boomers is also a fairly common nickname for 'shrooms, so I don't think they'd go for that...

Here's an idea - just play the initial season as "Oklahoma City." Let the nickname evolve naturally, like it used to be with old baseball teams.

I know that in today's marketing / merchandise-driven world that this is impossible, but it would be a unique approach.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Oklahoma City Flying Aces or just Aces. There was a short lived Indoor Football team in Rapid City, SD that had a fairly decent logo set. ( a bit Jordan though)

Rapid City Flying Aces

(although the NBA would likely reserve such a name for the always "soon to be" Las Vegas team)

They can have it... all three major airfields in OKC are named after famous state aviators who died in planes (two in the same accident).

Archived