Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

I Watching Summer League in Orlando, and the commentator say Oklahoma City Thundercats. Maybe this is the name of this team?

No, those Summer League announcers were just calling them that. The SL announcers are hilarious, BTW, they stay making jokes throughout the games. They were calling them a bunch of different things.

They also said Tyrus Thomas eats souls and at one point I could've swore I heard them call Mario Chalmers "Superintendent Chalmers."

"Super Nintendo" Chalmers would have been better......

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it is just so weird that Seattle Supersonics are no more. that is all. the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

Only if they build a new arena. Which isn't happening. (What? Don't tell me you buy that bull about "renovate Key Arena and you'll get a new team.")

well it is a legal agreement that if they approve the funding to do so, then they would be considered for a new team. I personal;ly think it's more likely than not that a new team will be there soon. 32 is a better number than 30.

With a caveat of funding needing to be in place by the middle or end of 2009 IIRC. I'm not a betting man, but I would not give good odds on that happening in the given time frame. Once that deadline passes, the NBA loses what little reason (I doubt Bennett will miss the $30 million at this point) it had to return posthaste.

Of course..."consider" doesn't mean "guarantee" either. It's kind of like me saying I will "consider" voting for Mr. Obama in November.

And if you've seen the Billcats/some of the other bottom feeder teams play in the league, you will agree 30 is a much better number than 32.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

How is that a bad thing? While I have been less than an avid follower of the NBA for quite some time, I would still like to have another team. I think most people across the league would agree that it makes more sense to have a team in Seattle than Oklahoma City, if you are able to get past arena and political issues. A few years from now, those issues could be cleared up. But the talk around here is that it will be a long time before the NBA comes back.

Wasn't the problem with the Sonics more to do with the Local and State Governments than it was in the fanbase? Sure, they can be fickle, but the fanbase is as fickle for the Mariners and Seahawks, two organizations the governments bent over for.

That's the underlying issue as far as I'm concerned. The city and state governments bent over backwards to build Safeco and Qwest, and yet decided to now all the sudden put their collective feet down and not cave to the Sonics. I don't see how you can justify what is clearly preferential treatment for two other franchises and then act betrayed when another franchise can't make anything work and decides to move on to greener pastures.

Besides, let's keep in mind that the Seahawks actually moved to Anaheim for a few days before being forced to move back with the daily fines being assessed, and that the city lost the Pilots due to the governments not arranging a permanent stadium in time. I don't at all blame the team for moving... I put the blame solely on the governments who thought they could play chicken but ended up losing.

Preferential treatment? The city was burned badly by cost overruns with Safeco. Can't help but be a bit gunshy about publicly-financed projects like that after what happened.

The Sonics had their renovations back in 1995. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough.

And maybe there is a bit of preference involved. The Sonics trail the Hawks/Mariners (badly) in a lot of those P-I city interest polls.

it is just so weird that Seattle Supersonics are no more. that is all. the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

Only if they build a new arena. Which isn't happening. (What? Don't tell me you buy that bull about "renovate Key Arena and you'll get a new team.")

well it is a legal agreement that if they approve the funding to do so, then they would be considered for a new team. I personal;ly think it's more likely than not that a new team will be there soon. 32 is a better number than 30.

With a caveat of funding needing to be in place by the middle or end of 2009 IIRC. I'm not a betting man, but I would not give good odds on that happening in the given time frame. Once that deadline passes, the NBA loses what little reason (I doubt Bennett will miss the $30 million at this point) it had to return posthaste.

Of course..."consider" doesn't mean "guarantee" either. It's kind of like me saying I will "consider" voting for Mr. Obama in November.

And if you've seen the Billcats/some of the other bottom feeder teams play in the league, you will agree 30 is a much better number than 32.

Actually the bill that was suposed to have been voted on in this years Legislative session that somehow got kinda misplaced when it was time to bring it up is all that hinges on and it is already schedulaed for next years legislative session. If they don't pass it they forfeit their right to the extra 30mill.

the worst part is that in less than 10 years, there will be another NBA franchise to pop up in Seattle, or sooner.

How is that a bad thing? While I have been less than an avid follower of the NBA for quite some time, I would still like to have another team. I think most people across the league would agree that it makes more sense to have a team in Seattle than Oklahoma City, if you are able to get past arena and political issues. A few years from now, those issues could be cleared up. But the talk around here is that it will be a long time before the NBA comes back.

Wasn't the problem with the Sonics more to do with the Local and State Governments than it was in the fanbase? Sure, they can be fickle, but the fanbase is as fickle for the Mariners and Seahawks, two organizations the governments bent over for.

That's the underlying issue as far as I'm concerned. The city and state governments bent over backwards to build Safeco and Qwest, and yet decided to now all the sudden put their collective feet down and not cave to the Sonics. I don't see how you can justify what is clearly preferential treatment for two other franchises and then act betrayed when another franchise can't make anything work and decides to move on to greener pastures.

Besides, let's keep in mind that the Seahawks actually moved to Anaheim for a few days before being forced to move back with the daily fines being assessed, and that the city lost the Pilots due to the governments not arranging a permanent stadium in time. I don't at all blame the team for moving... I put the blame solely on the governments who thought they could play chicken but ended up losing.

Preferential treatment? The city was burned badly by cost overruns with Safeco. Can't help but be a bit gunshy about publicly-financed projects like that after what happened.

The Sonics had their renovations back in 1995. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough.

And maybe there is a bit of preference involved. The Sonics trail the Hawks/Mariners (badly) in a lot of those P-I city interest polls.

Renovations in 1995 to a then 35-year-old arena doesn't say much, considering that the structure itself still held the arena to the smallest capacity in the NBA, without boxes to boot. That leaves the arena lacking any economic viability whatsoever. Additionally, a team can see the city/state financing as being preferential from the following viewpoint: the Kingdome is replaced by TWO state-of-the-art venues, each for an individual franchise, and each of a larger scale than a basketball arena would be, when one of the two tenants moved to California for a few days before being forced back due to fines being levied. Then, when the franchise that has the only championship in the city's history on the professional level, playing in an undersized, unprofitable arena is denied a new venue while two other teams in the area, both of which were mediocre franchises in the period before the new stadiums were built, are given said stadiums, when all that a new arena required was extending a tax that had been in place already, I completely understand Bennett's desire to move the team. Quite frankly, Bennett probably bought the team with the mindset that they played in an inadequate arena and that the city/state weren't about to finance a new one, making his "efforts" to get a new arena built simply covering the "reasonable effort" clause before getting the hell out of town.

All I'm really saying is that when a government finances new arenas for two teams, then all the sudden balks at a third, I can understand that team exploring options elsewhere.

And, if this rumored team name is in face true, let me be the first in this thread to use the inevidable slogan...

Thundercats, HOOOOOOOOO!!

VmWIn6B.png

I can't believe it, but I agree with everything you just wrote. :P

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I was in Seattle this whole past week visiting family. It was interesting seeing the community response to the Sonics, I think I would react the same way if the Jazz ever left Salt Lake City. But, I was in Auburn, WA at the SuperMall (Best name for a mall if you ask me) and I went to the Just Sports store wondering what Sonics stuff was going for. The whole store had Sonics swingman jerseys for $18.00, hats for $5.00.

My impluses got the best of me and I picked up a Robert Swift road and secondary jersey and a couple hats. There was a guy in the store who bought eight jerseys, hats, and shirts. I would probably do the same for the Jazz. Anywho...if anyone is interesting in Sonics gear here is the link to Just Sports

. http://www.collegegear.com/sf/stores/1846/

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Uh... LMU? The Seahawks announced they were moving to L.A., only for Paul Allen to step in and buy the team and thus keep it from actually moving. No fines were ever assessed, as there's no mechanism in the NFL for fines to be assessed for such a thing.

The Pilots were lost due not to government inaction, but to a combination of ownership who had nowhere nearly deep enough pockets to run the franchise coupled with ineptitude by MLB in agreeing to allow a team to use Sicks Stadium as a major league venue. True discussions about a new stadium were underway, but the reality is that the Pilots were pretty much doomed from the day the franchise was awarded.

nav-logo.png

While my comments were quoted and mainly turned into a political issue (which I can see both sides)...that isn't really where I was going with it. I was focusing more on a basic and logical level. I just feel like it is pointless to disband a team that has existed for 40 years and been somewhat successful to just move them to another city. I just hate it for the fans who really support them in the most purest form, all the merchandise sold over the years, all the history, etc etc to get thrown out just because some businessman in OK has a lot of cash.

If OKC wanted a team, fine by me...why not just expand the league by 2 teams? Was Seattle really hurting that much financially or for any other large reason besides needing facility upgrades? I know both parties are involved in the whole mess, but I just don't like it much when I feel like there will be another team in Seattle in the near future...and the one in OKC still exists.

It is almost like Baltimore/Cleveland to me in the NFL...I dunno, maybe that just irks only me.

The Pilots were lost due not to government inaction, but to a combination of ownership who had nowhere nearly deep enough pockets to run the franchise coupled with ineptitude by MLB in agreeing to allow a team to use Sicks Stadium as a major league venue. True discussions about a new stadium were underway, but the reality is that the Pilots were pretty much doomed from the day the franchise was awarded.

I wouldn't go that far - I seem to recall that the franchise was originally supposed to start play in 1970, but the date was moved up under legal threat from Missouri's senator, who wanted the new team in Kansas City as soon as possible. So they lost a year of prep.

Still, the fans weren't there. Maybe another year could've allowed them to build a fanbase before the first game, maybe not.

Oklahoma City Marshalls?

The website www.okcmarshalls.com redirects you to www.nba.com, where other okc[insert rumored team nickname].com domains do not. Sign of things to come?

Also, it was spelled with one 'L', as in M-A-R-S-H-A-L-S. We'll see.

Oklahoma City Marshalls?

The website www.okcmarshalls.com redirects you to www.nba.com, where other okc[insert rumored team nickname].com domains do not. Sign of things to come?

Also, it was spelled with one 'L', as in M-A-R-S-H-A-L-S. We'll see.

I highly doubt they would be that obvious in re-directing you to the NBA site before the name had been announced.

Starchild's post from the Sports in General thread:

Big update on the name change here, folks.

Just for some background so you know it's not like second hand info from some unreliable source. I work as a trademark researcher in NY, and our company happens to have the NBA as a client. Anyway, just got into work, looked at the priority search reports going out today and there, smack in the middle is an NBA search for "OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER."

It may very well be that this is not the name that will eventually be used, however, seeing as how it's the only NBA search being done thus far (at least in my time here) it could be the one (after all, if you're ordering a search report for the mark it generally means you're seriously considering moving forward in trying to trademark the name for use).

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Uh... LMU? The Seahawks announced they were moving to L.A., only for Paul Allen to step in and buy the team and thus keep it from actually moving. No fines were ever assessed, as there's no mechanism in the NFL for fines to be assessed for such a thing.

Not according to the LA media. They kept stating that the team was being fined several million per day, I'm assuming through court action. I'm pretty sure you're right on that, but our overreacting news teams told a different story.

VmWIn6B.png

Starchild's post from the Sports in General thread:
Big update on the name change here, folks.

Just for some background so you know it's not like second hand info from some unreliable source. I work as a trademark researcher in NY, and our company happens to have the NBA as a client. Anyway, just got into work, looked at the priority search reports going out today and there, smack in the middle is an NBA search for "OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER."

It may very well be that this is not the name that will eventually be used, however, seeing as how it's the only NBA search being done thus far (at least in my time here) it could be the one (after all, if you're ordering a search report for the mark it generally means you're seriously considering moving forward in trying to trademark the name for use).

Aw, please let that not be the name. Congress will have to officially revoke Oklahoma's right to consider itself part of the "American heartland" if it gets a men's pro sports team with a singular nickname. In real America, men's team names end in an "S" unless they're playing soccer. Thunderbirds, Thunderstorms, Thunderhawks, Thunderheads, even Thunders, but please not Thunder.

20082614447.png

Aw, please let that not be the name. Congress will have to officially revoke Oklahoma's right to consider itself part of the "American heartland" if it gets a men's pro sports team with a singular nickname. In real America, men's team names end in an "S" unless they're playing soccer. Thunderbirds, Thunderstorms, Thunderhawks, Thunderheads, even Thunders, but please not Thunder.

I guess they revoked it up the road back in 1992...

46ed14b8ec9d3a196240f3d93ded736c.300.jpg

*cough* Fighting Irish *cough*

Archived