Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

There can be a way to connect the Sonics nickname to the new one.

Sonics --> Sonic Boom --> Boomers (Boomer Sooners)

Granted it's a dumb name, but it makes sense at least.

Boomers is also a fairly common nickname for 'shrooms, so I don't think they'd go for that...

The Mountain Boomer is the state reptile of Oklahoma...

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prediction:

Oklahoma City Marshals.

Colors:

Old Gold

Black

Prediction on logo...

Marshalls_logo.jpg

Don't mind the Double L. The double L will become Oklahoma's unique sports trademark, much like Utah and the Double Z's...Drillers works. How about Tullsa?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Prediction:

Oklahoma City Marshals.

Colors:

Old Gold

Black

Prediction on logo...

Marshalls_logo.jpg

Don't mind the Double L. The double L will become Oklahoma's unique sports trademark, much like Utah and the Double Z's...Drillers works. How about Tullsa?

You sir, have lost your mind. Please make the next left into the mental hospital and check in immediately.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Prediction:

Oklahoma City Marshals.

Colors:

Old Gold

Black

Prediction on logo...

Marshalls_logo.jpg

You sir, have lost your mind. Please make the next left into the mental hospital and check in immediately.

Been there, done that. :D

Bennett and his crew just need to announce the nickname soon.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Well, a new trademark search has just revealed the following...

Word Mark: OKLAHOMA CITY SUPERSONICS

Goods and Services: IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment and educational services in the nature of ongoing television and radio programs in the field of basketball and rendering live basketball games and basketball exhibitions; the production and distribution of radio and television shows featuring basketball games, basketball events and programs in the field of basketball; conducting and arranging basketball clinics and camps, coaches clinics and camps, dance team clinics and camps and basketball games; entertainment services in the nature of personal appearances by a costumed mascot or dance team at basketball games and exhibitions, clinics, camps, promotions, and other basketball-related events, special events and parties; fan club services; entertainment services, namely providing a website featuring multimedia material in the nature of television highlights, interactive television highlights, video recordings, video stream recordings, interactive video highlight selections, radio programs, radio highlights, and audio recordings in the field of basketball; providing news and information in the nature of statistics and trivia in the field of basketball; on-line non-downloadable games, namely, computer games, video games, interactive video games, action skill games, arcade games, adults' and children's party games, board games, puzzles, and trivia games; electronic publishing services, namely, publication of magazines, guides, newsletters, coloring books, and game schedules of others on-line through the Internet, all in the field of basketball; providing an online computer database in the field of basketball

Standard Characters Claimed:

Mark Drawing Code: (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number: 77516594

Filing Date: July 8, 2008

Current Filing Basis: 1B

Original Filing Basis: 1B

Owner: (APPLICANT) The Professional Basketball Club, LLC LTD LIAB CO OKLAHOMA 351 Elliot Ave., West Seattle WASHINGTON 98119

Attorney of Record: Anil V. George

Prior Registrations: 1084317;1831387;2799123;AND OTHERS (I checked and yes, these are the original Seattle SuperSonics marks)

Type of Mark: SERVICE MARK

Register: PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

So, why has the team done this if they are "giving" back the name to the city of Seattle for future use? There's no reason to protect it if they aren't going to use it, is there? That's meant as an honest question. Is protecting it for the sake of it worthwhile?

Well, a new trademark search has just revealed the following...

Word Mark: OKLAHOMA CITY SUPERSONICS

Goods and Services: IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment and educational services in the nature of ongoing television and radio programs in the field of basketball and rendering live basketball games and basketball exhibitions; the production and distribution of radio and television shows featuring basketball games, basketball events and programs in the field of basketball; conducting and arranging basketball clinics and camps, coaches clinics and camps, dance team clinics and camps and basketball games; entertainment services in the nature of personal appearances by a costumed mascot or dance team at basketball games and exhibitions, clinics, camps, promotions, and other basketball-related events, special events and parties; fan club services; entertainment services, namely providing a website featuring multimedia material in the nature of television highlights, interactive television highlights, video recordings, video stream recordings, interactive video highlight selections, radio programs, radio highlights, and audio recordings in the field of basketball; providing news and information in the nature of statistics and trivia in the field of basketball; on-line non-downloadable games, namely, computer games, video games, interactive video games, action skill games, arcade games, adults' and children's party games, board games, puzzles, and trivia games; electronic publishing services, namely, publication of magazines, guides, newsletters, coloring books, and game schedules of others on-line through the Internet, all in the field of basketball; providing an online computer database in the field of basketball

Standard Characters Claimed:

Mark Drawing Code: (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number: 77516594

Filing Date: July 8, 2008

Current Filing Basis: 1B

Original Filing Basis: 1B

Owner: (APPLICANT) The Professional Basketball Club, LLC LTD LIAB CO OKLAHOMA 351 Elliot Ave., West Seattle WASHINGTON 98119

Attorney of Record: Anil V. George

Prior Registrations: 1084317;1831387;2799123;AND OTHERS (I checked and yes, these are the original Seattle SuperSonics marks)

Type of Mark: SERVICE MARK

Register: PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

So, why has the team done this if they are "giving" back the name to the city of Seattle for future use? There's no reason to protect it if they aren't going to use it, is there? That's meant as an honest question. Is protecting it for the sake of it worthwhile?

I hope they don't pull a "Well its too late to change names and logos this year, we will change next year, but for now we'll be the OKC Supersonics." Talk about throwing salt in Seattle fans and pissing off those you made a deal with.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I hope they don't pull a "Well its too late to change names and logos this year, we will change next year, but for now we'll be the OKC Supersonics." Talk about throwing salt in Seattle fans and pissing off those you made a deal with.

Isn't that why Memphis is still known as the Grizzlies?

I remember hearing that once they got out of Vancouver, they were wanting to change their nickname to something like the Express. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but they weren't allowed to make the switch right away so they just scrapped the plan and stayed as the Grizzlies.

6uXNWAo.png

Take into consideration that Sonic Drive-In is headquartered out of Oklahoma City. Wouldn't it be ironic if they become a major sponsor of the new team? I wonder how long of a naming right contract does Ford have for the arena. Just think the Oklahoma Sonics playing in the Sonic Center.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Take into consideration that Sonic Drive-In is headquartered out of Oklahoma City. Wouldn't it be ironic if they become a major sponsor of the new team? I wonder how long of a naming right contract does Ford have for the arena. Just think the Oklahoma Sonics playing in the Sonic Center.

What would be funnier is in five years when the Seattle Sonics 2.0 play at the OKC Barons at the Sonic Center.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When Louisville was trying to lure the Hornets and Grizzlies to Louisville. I remember there talk being of naming the team the Kentucky Colonels (after the ABA team), but having them play in a new arena dubbed the KFC Arena.

That would have been awesome! I can imagine the promotions for the arena...if the team scores 125 points, everyone gets a bucket of chicken! :D

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Here's my guess as to why they'd trademark OKC Supersonics: The team cannot use the Sonics' name or colors per the KeyArena settlement. However, they can use the Sonics "history" with the option of sharing it with a future Seattle team. Therefore they may have a reason to trademark 'Oklahoma City Supersonics' that doesn't involve actually naming the team that. Of course having banners that say "Oklahoma City Sonics" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But there may be other reasons that have to do with the club's history.

But my blood boils just at the thought that they may try to steal the Sonics' name just like they stole the team from Seattle. I don't care if you're from OKC or Seattle - everyone should agree that Clay Bennett is a scumbag.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Just a guess here. But the group that trademarked Oklahoma City Supersonics is out of Washington if you looka t the address. I am guessing this is part of the mechanics on how they could be sure that Oklahoma city does not use the Supersonics name.

Archived