2008 Winter Classic at Wrigley

Waleslax

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually fortunate enough to be on a tour of Wrigley yesterday as they were holding the press conference! When I saw some guys in suits carrying Blackhawks jerseys and NHL bags through a side door outside Wrigley, I thought they might just possibly be having a league meeting on the event in one of the offices in the stadium, but it turned out that our tour ended up witnessing all of the league's and Blackhawks' executives along with Mayor Daley sitting behind the Cubs' third base dugout with a stage set up on top of it. I took plenty of snapshots of the mock rink and the dugouts with tarps that had the Winter Classic logo on them. The centerfield bleachers had a tarp of the Classic logo while the left and rightfield bleachers had the Red Wings and Blackhawks crests on them. While our tour group was going up the grandstand to the press box, I caught a glimpse of Gary Bettman. When we emerged from the press box we found Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito and all the current Hawks on the field below us. Our tour ended having to settle on seeing the visitors' dugout and clubhouse and not the Cubs' due to the press conference occupying the home dugout.

I went figuring the biggest kick of the day would be sitting in a dugout at Wrigley Field but it turns out it was actually getting to see how short Gary Bettman is in person (shorter than you think) and seeing all those Hawks legends in person, at Wrigley Field. Overall it's a day I will never forget. I also might post some pics if I find any that aren't too similar to the ones now on Getty Images. (But from 10:00 yesterday morning until 11, I was one of the only people in the world who knew what the view would be like to watch a hockey game from every vantage point at Wrigley Field.) ^_^

According to the Tribune today, they have not decided where the rink will sit in the stadium.

The best place to place the rink would be in the infield (home to 2nd). Another idea would be to place the rink on one of the baselines. Seats on that baseline (for example the 1st) would be great, but the tradeoff would be the seats way out in leftfield would be on a real funny angle.

Was there any reason given on why they didn't use Soldier Field?
According to the Tribune today, they have not decided where the rink will sit in the stadium. Sox park would have been better for attending such a game, they have parking, better bathrooms, food, etc. But of course, everything is 'cooler' at Wrigley.

I attended the Winter Classic seminar at the Hawks Convention last weekend and got to hear John McDonough, Brian Campbell and an NHL exec discuss the game. They mentioned that:

? Soldier Field was considered but ultimately not chosen due to the possibility of a playoff game (I know, I know, won't happen...)

? Wrigley was chosen due to its availability, and (even as a Sox fan who acknowledges my park's superiority, I get this) for its historic appeal nationally

? McDonough mentioned that no announcement had been made yet on jerseys, but he said they were looking at 1936-37 and loved those jerseys....

They also said the rink hadn't been decided on yet, but I can't imagine the Tuesday press conference configuration not being what they're gonna go with.

Another interesting note- the NHL exec, Brian something, said that for future games they might not necessarily stick with Jan. 1, but might explore a later date, like after the Super Bowl when there is a big sports lull...

Another interesting note- the NHL exec, Brian something, said that for future games they might not necessarily stick with Jan. 1, but might explore a later date, like after the Super Bowl when there is a big sports lull...

The Saturday or Sunday of Presidents Day weekend would be great, sure the Daytona 500 is that weekend but one of the reasons they get good ratings is due to it being a slow time for the Major League team sports and the weather is still crappy in the Northeast and Mid-West. They could have it be a night game since they wouldn't be up against a BcS Bowl and they might not have as many ice problems.

For those clamoring for the Red Wings to use their striped Detroit uniforms, I think it might be a little confusing to the players if the Blackhawks are donning their own stripey duds.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I kind of find it weird putting it in a baseball stadium in general.

Football stadiums make sense because the seating bowl is generally the same shape as a hockey rink, just with a larger playing surface, but in a baseball stadium... not nearly the same shape.

Stadiums back then were built to accommodate both football and baseball. I'm pretty sure Wrigley used to have NFL games so I'm sure the ice surface will run the same way a football field did.

The Bears played their home games at Wrigley Field until 1970. The football field ran from left field to first base and temporary stands were put up in right field.

Interesting note: One of the end zones was slightly smaller than regulation size:

wrig08950.jpg

Packers-2.png

I didn't check to see if they had played each other in those uniforms yet, I didn't think that they had. I know both teams used them as alternates in the early 90's, but it seems to me that it would be at least slightly annoying for the players. But what do I know? Maybe it isn't.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

For those clamoring for the Red Wings to use their striped Detroit uniforms, I think it might be a little confusing to the players if the Blackhawks are donning their own stripey duds.

Never been an issue before.

Cougars2.gifBlackHawks4a.gif

I don't see a problem at all with these side-by-side...

Moose

Never been an issue before.

Cougars2.gifBlackHawks4a.gif

I don't see a problem at all with these side-by-side...

Moose

The thing I just noticed, which may be a problem is that the Detroit Red Wings never wore those jerseys besides 1992. When they had those jerseys, they were the Detroit Falcons, totally disconnected to the current franchise. They why I'm thinking they will choose the white with the two stripes on the arms instead.

WinterClassicLogo.jpg

Woah, I dunno how the hell I missed this thread...

Anyways, I would like to state for the record that the Wrigley Winter Classic logo is ACE!! Without a doubt, this has got to be one of, if not THE best logo the National Hockey League has come out with in ages. :notworthy:

6uXNWAo.png

The thing I just noticed, which may be a problem is that the Detroit Red Wings never wore those jerseys besides 1992. When they had those jerseys, they were the Detroit Falcons, totally disconnected to the current franchise. They why I'm thinking they will choose the white with the two stripes on the arms instead.

The Red Wings are more connected to the Falcons than the Maple Leafs are to the Arenas.

Same franchise, just a change in name that came with a change in ownership.

• 5 months later...

The WC is pretty weak, but the rest are top notch.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived