The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

So what happens if she is declared ineligible? Do the Chinese drop the medal, and get DQ'd?

A couple of people get taken out back and shot(I kid! I kid!-they'll just be sent to entertain the very happy Muslims in Sinkiang :rolleyes: )

Probably nothing....the IOC seems really reluctant to chastise China. They probably just drop the stupid "16 and older" rule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some confusion as to exactly what this guy did with his medal. The reports say he threw it down, but in this photo it looks more like he merely laid it down on the mat before walking off:

olygbronzeprotest600166zz8.th.jpg

In any event, the '72 U.S. men's basketball team had exactly the right idea for protesting getting screwed out of a gold medal: just blow off the medal ceremony altogether. You make your point without making an @$$ of yourself and your country, or ruining the experience for the other medalists.

CCSLC signature.png

1972 team never accepted their medals to this day, that was the ultimate sports robbery of all time, it was fixed for the Soviets to win, and when they could not win with the refs helps they cheated.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

According to SI, the medal has been returned to FILA (the governing body of int'l wrestling), no doubt to end up as some middling desk jockey's paperweight.
Not necessarily. If the IOC decides to revoke the bronze medal, they could award it to the Frenchman.

LvZYtbZ.png

According to SI, the medal has been returned to FILA (the governing body of int'l wrestling), no doubt to end up as some middling desk jockey's paperweight.
Not necessarily. If the IOC decides to revoke the bronze medal, they could award it to the Frenchman.

Hmmm, that's true. Then again I'm not a fan of altering the results of a competition after the fact. Seems to me that once the medals are handed out, they should not be redistributed later. If you win the gold but, say, flunk a drug test later on, you should lose the medal but no one else should get it. First place would simply be left vacant, the silver medalist would keep his silver, the bronze medalist would keep his bronze, and the fourth-place guy would still be SOL.

CCSLC signature.png

For full disclosure, I was a wrestler for two and a half seasons for St. Augustine Prep in Richland, New Jersey. I also played football for four years for the Hermits.

I admit, we didn't have the best teams. As a football team, we won all of nine games in four years. In wrestling, we qualified for the team playoffs only once while I was at the school, and I never got the chance to wrestle in the district tournament, towards an individual state title.

That said, we understood what sportsmanship was. The trying as hard as you can to win the game between the whistles, and when it's all over, to shake the opponent's hand for a game well played.

I can only imagine what it would be like to represent the United States in wrestling in the Olympic Games. It would be a truly awesome experience. Had I done well enough to medal, I hope that I would be humble enough to accept it with honor, instead of reject it in a hissy fit like Mr. Abrahamian did. After all, finishing a joint third in the world at one's weight class is a damned good accomplishment.

What makes this worse, in my mind, is that Mr. Abrahamian violated the Olympic Oath with his conduct. The Olympic Oath, recited by one athlete on behalf of all at the Opening Ceremony, reads: "In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams." What Mr. Abrahamian did is neither sportsmanlike, nor glorious, nor honorable.

LvZYtbZ.png

There apparently used to be a video of the Abrahamian incident on YouTube, but it's been taken down.

Fortunately there is still a video up on LiveLeak, albeit not in English, and not showing the moment of truth. (It shows him leaving the podium and going off-camera, and the next time we see him the medal is already on the mat.)

CCSLC signature.png

The NBC Olympics site is officially kick-butt awesome. Video of over half of the events, and at least a couple in each sport.

Olympic table tennis? Cool!

Olympic water polo? Pretty darn unwatchable.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/

And I see they have better footage of the Abrahamian incident (at the tail end of this clip).

Edit/Update: Yawn... ho-hum... Phelps wins gold medal (and world record) #6 in the 200m IM. In related news, the sky is still blue.

CCSLC signature.png

The NBC Olympics site is officially kick-butt awesome. Video of over half of the events, and at least a couple in each sport.

Olympic table tennis? Cool!

Olympic water polo? Pretty darn unwatchable.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/

Water Polo rules I always thought it would be fun to play Water Polo

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Edit/Update: Yawn... ho-hum... Phelps wins gold medal (and world record) #6 in the 200m IM. In related news, the sky is still blue.

While watching Baseball Tonight, thinking I could avoid any kind of spoiler since I live out west, a "PHELPS ALERT" appears on the ESPN Bottom Line and kills the intrigue once again. <_<

However, I am glad that he's now 6-for-6 and will still watch the tape-delay in one hour's time.

6uXNWAo.png

After lucking into the womens' 100m FS finals, Libby Trickett came within 0.04 second of winning the gold. Instead she was nipped at the wire by Germany's Britta Steffen. Natalie Coughlin got the bronze.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived