The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

Funny how two weeks ago, I had no clue who Michael Phelps was.

Now he just about guarenteed himself the record of the most medals in one olympics. He currently tied it with 7. The record should be broken easily.

I think people forget that there was already quite a bit hype about him .... four years ago.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's still Jesse Owens, Richard Fosbury, Steve Redgrave, Nadia Comaneci, Muhammed Ali, Mark Spitz, Fanny Blankers-Koen, Michael Johnson, and don't for get Eric Moussambani.

I still want to know how he didn't drown while thrashing about in the pool all by himself in Sydney. Yeesh.

And what about Al Oreter, eh? Gold medal in the discus in four straight Olympics?

And what abou Betty Cuthbert?!

AND FLO-JO?!

That's my pick. There is one discus event. Al Oreter didn't get to compete in 8 events each Olympiad. If he did, who knows how many medals he would have won.

It's not Phelps fault that there were 8 events in which he can compete, but it wasn't Oreter's fault that there was but one for him either.

The wonderful thing about it is that there are many athletes from many disciplines and many generations up for debate. That's what makes it so cool...and impossible to choose.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

"Greatest Olympian" is determined by performance in the Olympics. Now, "Greatest Athlete/Most Important Athlete" would be determined by their contributions to the game/sport/world combined with performance. I do think Phelps can be added to that list, but each great has been in a different period of time and done something of importance that has affected the world in a different light in each period, so it's hard to say who was the greatest/most important ever, just that they've all had a positive effect (Not Bonds though) on the world of sports and the world in general.

Sez you. For me, it's tougher to be so cut and dried, as the Olympics is one of the few sporting events to have an actual creed:

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

It's an event more about competition, access, and unity rather than winners and losers. Well, it's mostly about making money, but for purposes of argument, we'll take them at their word.

That's not to say that what Michael Phelps is doing isn't amazing, because it so clearly is. Six records in seven events with seven golds is an almost unfathomable level of dominance, especially considering how good everyone else is. But who better exemplifies struggle -- Jesse Owens, a black man who ran in the face of racism both in Germany and the US? Or Michael Phelps, an exceptional athlete given every advantage to perform at this level?

I think that world-changing component is an important part of what makes a great Olympian. It's not as glamorous as having buckets of medals, but Jesse Owens gave a giant middle finger to Adolph Hitler. After the Olympics, Michael Phelps is going to (and absolutely should) cash in. Where's the lasting impact? And whither Mark Spitz?

Noble thought but you don't get a gold medal for being a diplomat or bringing the world together. You train your life away for the gold. That is everyone's goal going in to the games. I don't remember who said it but I remember this quote from the opening ceremony.

"My country didn't send me here just to be in a race. My country sent me here to win the race."

Yes, it is about victory while showing good sportsmanship.

There's still Jesse Owens, Richard Fosbury, Steve Redgrave, Nadia Comaneci, Muhammed Ali, Mark Spitz, Fanny Blankers-Koen, Michael Johnson, and don't for get Eric Moussambani.

I still want to know how he didn't drown while thrashing about in the pool all by himself in Sydney. Yeesh.

And what about Al Oreter, eh? Gold medal in the discus in four straight Olympics?

AND FLO-JO?!

That's my pick. There is one discus event. Al Oreter didn't get to compete in 8 events each Olympiad. If he did, who knows how many medals he would have won.

It's not Phelps fault that there were 8 events in which he can compete, but it wasn't Oreter's fault that there was but one for him either.

The wonderful thing about it is that there are many athletes from many disciplines and many generations up for debate. That's what makes it so cool...and impossible to choose.

But his 13 medals weren't all just the freestyle either. Diversity in his craft should be rewarded with more praise. Ubfair to Al but it is true. The butterfly, backstroke, and freestyle are three very different swims. No one here is taking the diversity of his sport in consideration. Lets not forget that running multiple Olympic swims in a day is very hard on the body. There should be more depth but in to this thought. It isn't as simple as he won more because he had more chances. It is amazing he was able to create more chances for himself.

Phelps gets my vote for best Olympian ever.

Best Olympic athlete ever = Jim Thorpe

Best we'll ever see, or our children, or our children's children will ever see or know about = Michael Phelps

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

AND FLO-JO?!

But his 13 medals weren't all just the freestyle either. Diversity in his craft should be rewarded with more praise. Ubfair to Al but it is true. The butterfly, backstroke, and freestyle are three very different swims. No one here is taking the diversity of his sport in consideration. Lets not forget that running multiple Olympic swims in a day is very hard on the body. There should be more depth but in to this thought. It isn't as simple as he won more because he had more chances. It is amazing he was able to create more chances for himself.

I'm not knocking Phelps for having more opportunities, by any means...and you're right, he created those opportunities by being flat out better than (just about) everyone one else at each discipline. I'm just saying that other the athletes may not have had the opportunities to create so many...well, opportunities. :)

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Best we'll ever see, or our children, or our children's children will ever see or know about = Michael Phelps

Man, I really wish I could have seen that dude in his day. From his Olympic greatness to playing pro football, baseball, and basketball as well (I feel like I'm missing something).

Man, I really wish I could have seen that dude in his day. From his Olympic greatness to playing pro football, baseball, and basketball as well (I feel like I'm missing something).

Thorpe is a great nomination for best Olympian ever as well.

AND FLO-JO?!

I'm not knocking Phelps for having more opportunities, by any means...and you're right, he created those opportunities by being flat out better than (just about) everyone one else at each discipline. I'm just saying that other the athletes may not have had the opportunities to create so many...well, opportunities. :)

I see, fair enough.

Enough of the "Best Olympian" talk, it's time to discuss the pinnacle of Track & Field events: Speed Walking. Who pays to watch people walk in a circle? The analysts compared this to restrictor-plate racing in Nascar.

However, seeing this competitive event reminds me of that scene with Cheech Marin in Cheech & Chong: Up In Smoke when they're in that marijuana factory in Mexico: "C'mon cheeks, stay together!"

Enough of the "Best Olympian" talk, it's time to discuss the pinnacle of Track & Field events: Speed Walking. Who pays to watch people walk in a circle? The analysts compared this to restrictor-plate racing in Nascar.

However, seeing this competitve event reminds me of that scene with Cheech Marin in Cheech & Chong: Up In Smoke when they're in that marijuana factory in Mexico: "C'mon cheeks, stay together!"

lol

I think someone had to be high to think this is a good sport

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

However, seeing this competitve event reminds me of that scene with Cheech Marin in Cheech & Chong: Up In Smoke when they're in that marijuana factory in Mexico: "C'mon cheeks, stay together!"

and they want to take away BASEBALL and keep this crap? i love the olympics but ioc has gotta get it together man.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

as far as the indoor volleyball goes, I would like to know what the purpose of each team having one player wearing a contrasting uniform from the rest of the team.

That's the "Libero"

The Libero

In 1998 the libero player was introduced internationally, the term meaning free in Italian is pronounced LEE-beh-ro (rather than lih-BEAR-oh); the NCAA introduced the libero in 2002.The libero is a player specialized in defensive skills: the libero must wear a contrasting jersey color from his or her teammates and cannot block or attack the ball when it is entirely above net height. When the ball is not in play, the libero can replace any back-row player, without prior notice to the officials. This replacement does not count against the substitution limit each team is allowed per set, although the libero may be replaced only by the player whom they replaced. The libero may function as a setter only under certain restrictions. If she/he makes an overhand set, she/he must be standing behind (and not stepping on) the 3-meter line; otherwise, the ball cannot be attacked above the net in front of the 3-meter line. An underhand pass is allowed from any part of the court.

The libero is, generally, the most skilled defensive player on the team. There is also a libero tracking sheet, where the referees or officiating team must keep track of who the libero subs in and out for. There may only be one libero per set (game), although there may be a different libero in the beginning of any new set (game).

Furthermore, a libero is not allowed to serve, according to international rules, with the exception of the NCAA women's volleyball games, where a 2004 rule change allows the libero to serve, but only in a specific rotation. That is, the libero can only serve for one person, not for all of the people for whom she goes in. That rule change was also applied to high school play soon after.

Michael Phelps is not just the best swimmer ever, but I think you can put him with Ruth, Jordan and Gretzky as the best athletes of all time.

He is the best Olympian ever. It has been really fun watching the best swimmer ever to live perform.

I think you're drinking the NBC kool-aid. I wouldn't say he's the best Olympian ever.

However, of course, I still give Michael Phelps major credit for what he's done. That was a damn impressive finish, it shows that you always have to keep going, never settle, the Olympic spirit.

First off, that wasn't a definative list, I realize that there are WAY more atheletes, I just was giving a few examples. Of course there are others.

Owens won 4 gold medals. He could have won more but decided instead to become a professional (a lot of good that did)

Richard Fosbury only won a single gold medal.

Redgrave was great. However, he was competing on a team of four or as part of a pair. He was also competing in rowing. I'm not discounting rowing, but as for international participation, popularity or even competetion, it doesn't even compare to swimming.

Comaneci isn't even the greatest gymnast of all time (medal wise). That would be Larissa Latynina.

Ali won only 1 gold medal.

You've got to be kidding about "Eric the Eel" right?

Phelps has 13 gold medals (the most all time) and he is only behind Larissa Latynina for the most medals of any kind.

Owens is self explanatory.

Fosbury reinvented high-jump.

Sir Steve, in 2000, at the age of 38, after spending the past couple of years battling with the effects of diabetes, he won gold. Redgrave is the only Olympian to have won a gold medal at five consecutive games.

In 1976, when she was 14 years old, Nadia Comaneci was the first gymnast to achieve the perfect 10 score. Her perfect score was on the uneven parallel bars, but went on to score maximum points seven times during the games.

Muhammed is Muhammed, you can't argue with that. haha

And finally, Eric Moussambani:

"The important thing is not to win, but to take part"

He arrived from Equatorial Guinea, where he practiced in a 20m pool for one hour per week, he had never even seen an olympic-sized pool.

Moussambani raced against Ian Thorpe in the 100m freestyle. He almost came to a complete halt with only 10 meters to go, but lifted by a standing ovation from the crowd, Moussambani somehow made it to the line. He finished in more than twice the time it took his competitor.

He had no chance in hell of winning a medal, but he still left Sydney a hero as the living embodiment of the Olympic spirit.

"True Olympic spirit is often found away from gold medallists with their agents and sponsorship deals -- it is found in its purest sense in those that come last."

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

However, seeing this competitive event reminds me of that scene with Cheech Marin in Cheech & Chong: Up In Smoke when they're in that marijuana factory in Mexico: "C'mon cheeks, stay together!"

Another "WTF?" track & field event is the steeplechase. Running and jumping over the occasional barrier - isn't that what the hurdles events are for? Also, why is there only one "special" barrier on the track (the water jump)? Maybe it would be more interesting if every barrier had its own unique gimmick - say, a sand pit for one jump, or even a tar pit, where if you miss the jump you (and everyone you "collect", to borrow the auto racing lingo) come out covered in dark, sticky goo.

CCSLC signature.png

Usain Bolt won the 100m final with a new world record. 9.69 seconds. What's amazing is that he slowed down at about 75-80m from the finish line :blink:

Maybe the most aptly named athlete, no, human being on the planet in terms of profession. It'd be like if a dentist were named 'Smiley'.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived